Would you get an air conditioned helmet? - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Would you get an air conditioned helmet?

I didn't know this was a thing but apparently this company called Feher has created the world's first self-contained air-conditioned helmet. When you look at the images below it's pretty remarkable technology. But it's not cheap at $549. Would anyone consider getting one of these?

https://www.visordown.com/news/produ...ed-hot-weather
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 10:24 AM
QCS

Super-Moderator

That's a nice idea.

I have seen air conditioned motorcycle helmet over 20 (yes twenty!) years ago. The idea is to use thermo-electric components in helmets is not new. It is actually used in space application, combat pilot helmets (I think that other combat helmets these days), weapon systems, such as navigation systems for example, for a very long time. It is very space efficient and enables cooling where compressed gas solutions are too big/heavy. It is a very mature technology and, over the past few decades, its efficiency has significantly improved so power draw is getting lower, which is especially important for battery powered applications. BTW, it can both cool and heat by changing the direction of the current (and for other applications it can generate power is exposed to temperature gradients).

The fact is that it never really picked up. Maybe the current iteration will be more successful than former ones.

As for your initial question, I never really felt the need for an AC helmet. Airflow is one of the first things I check when I get a new helmet, so as long as I am moving, I am fine. If I get warm I just ride a little faster

I ride because my wife says it keeps me young and is better than if I get a girlfriend...
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 09:57 PM

Super-Moderator

Garage
I don't think I would. If it were a feature that came with the helmet as kind of an added bonus (safety, performance, other features I like and want) then maybe. To be honest though, even though it is super hot out (and even in traffic) I have never really sweat so much into my helmet that I needed to wash the pads. I wouldn't mind trying it though to see if it makes a big difference. I guess it could be a game changer that no one really knows about because they aren't that common.

Keep the rubber side down!

R.I.P:
RT180
YZ125
R1

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page