KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

What is your favorite summer riding jacket and favorite riding pant for the street?

7K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  Chic 
#1 ·
Just curious what jackets and pants folks are wearing fo street riding and commuting?

#7 ·
Quite a few companies are doing single layer jeans these days, often with CE approved slide times equal to or higher than leather. Resurgence now do a single layer with a tested slide time of around 11 seconds :surprise:

I use a pair of rokkertech pretty much year round, in winter I'll throw on a pair of merino leggings if it's cold and in the wet a pair of army goretex over trousers.

If there's no rain usually aramid lined hoodie with d30 armour or if it's going to be wet goretex textile.

#13 ·
Quite a few companies are doing single layer jeans these days, often with CE approved slide times equal to or higher than leather. Resurgence now do a single layer with a tested slide time of around 11 seconds :surprise:
I wear Resurgence Cargo Pants pretty much all year. Basically it is a 100% inner trouser made of Aramid and UHMWPE mix they call PEKEV. Kevlar and Dyneema are examples of these materials. With a simple cotton over trouser stitched to it. Add D30 protectors and there it is.

Yep they are a bit warm occasionally in Spanish High Summer. And are not even marginally Damp-Proof.

This provides astonishing slide times. Good joint impact protection and - something single layer fabrics cannot do - cushioning for areas not covered by protectors. This cushioning is also something that good leather naturally supplies.

Single layer gear tends not to protect as well from the friction heat during the slide. That said the coefficient of friction may well be lower depending on the fabric used.

Aramid single layer tends to be warmer - Dyneema single layer can even be classified as chilly.

I would encourage you all to reap up on the material properties of the Aramid and UHMWPE families of products. Aramids degrade VERY FAST when exposed to UV - UHMWPE is not ideal close to extreme heat. Aramids also absorb moisture.

#8 ·
I have an older model Dainese Mash jacket I am using for a few years. A couple of washes a year and it looks and smells OK. Very light with a lot of airflow. Has elbow and shoulder armor and is well made for daily use.

When going on a more spirited/demanding ride, I wear leathers. Sweaty but safe.

Reactions: Gasnit
#10 ·
Dainese doesn't fit me! I'm to **** big! For the summer months I have an old Fieldsheer mesh with hard plastics, mid seasons I wear a Scorpion textile jacket, and I have my JR leather jacket for colder weather or if I am feeling real saucy. I have some old textile pants and a new pair of mesh pants I really like now. All my gear is rather old but still serves its purpose!

#11 ·
The absolute best piece of gear that I've ever purchased is a Motoport Marathon mesh jacket with the two-part liner. With the liners in it goes comfortably to about 45 degrees (about as cold as I ride anymore) and with them out it's awesome in the dead of summer because it flows like a screen door and won't heat up above ambient even in direct sun.

It also has more armor than any jacket that I've ever had and is reported to be ten times stronger than competition leather.

Reactions: Gasnit
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.