What to love or hate about the 2018+ KTM 790 Duke? - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 33Likes

post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Thumbs up What to love or hate about the 2018+ KTM 790 Duke?

If you can share a few things about your ownership of the 2018+ KTM 790 Duke, what would it be? The most liked or hated, share them with every one I am sure you won't be the only one.
post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 05:22 PM

Theres lots to like about the 790, its so light, very nimble, the ride position feels just about right, stock suspension is actually quite good, the engine makes nice useable power, the power modes are well thought out, Race=trackdays, Sport=open fast road riding and Street is great around town and general riding. The 790 is very good on the Track, i did a KTM trackday, and the 790 was awesome to ride, and easy to ride at a good pace, very forgiving bike, even go through corners a gear to high. I think this 790 is a very well thought out bike and built with an affordable price in mind. After coming off a MV800, the only thing the 790 isn't better at is initial brake bite, the brakes are ok, but lack that initial bite, i guess a pad change could be a simple option......(or mono block 50s) So very happy with the 790, and i know my son will love it when he visits to ride it.

Last edited by DaveNZ; 03-13-2019 at 05:27 PM.
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 07:58 AM

Most of the positive elements of the 790D have a downside....
I love the TFT dash but find it changes to night mode too easily
The motor is super torquey and responsive but blows a lot of hot air in traffic
Quick shifter works beautifully on downshifts but tends to violently reject upshifts if not under full throttle
Suspension is great now but without any adjustment it will be hard to manage deterioration over time
Seat and riding position is great for aggressive riding but monkey-butt sets in within 2 hours
OEM licence plate holder is rubbish but my after market tail-tidy does very little to prevent rear wheel spray
Nice fuel level display but after being on side stand it indicates low fuel if tank is below half
Simple cable clutch mechanism is light but feels kind of notchy on downshifts
Very minimal frontal area means that wind blast at higher speeds can be fatiguing

All in all though Iím loving this bike.

Tom in Sydney
KTM790Belgium likes this.
post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shultz View Post
Quick shifter works beautifully on downshifts but tends to violently reject upshifts if not under full throttle
Maybe on yours.... I can use any rpm, any throttle, etc, it's smooth as silk both directions.
KiwiDuke likes this.
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeksy View Post
Maybe on yours.... I can use any rpm, any throttle, etc, it's smooth as silk both directions.
Same here, mine is silky smooth up shifting pretty much on any positive throttle.
KiwiDuke likes this.
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 09:38 AM

Weird... I must be doing it wrong. Do you guys tend to use a light toe action or more forceful?

Tom in Sydney
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Weird... I must be doing it wrong. Do you guys tend to use a light toe action or more forceful?

Tom in Sydney
Never given it any thoughts Tom, snick, snick, snick, effortlessly.
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 01:43 PM
Pgm

Garage
Quote:

Tom in Sydney
I donít think the quick shifter or blipper are great but then it has been built to a budget, Iím sure Chris Philmore doesnít use the blipper when he races Pikes Peak.
Having said that I do think the 790 is a fantastic bike.
Steve likes this.
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNZ View Post
Theres lots to like about the 790, its so light, very nimble, the ride position feels just about right, stock suspension is actually quite good, the engine makes nice useable power, the power modes are well thought out, Race=trackdays, Sport=open fast road riding and Street is great around town and general riding. The 790 is very good on the Track, i did a KTM trackday, and the 790 was awesome to ride, and easy to ride at a good pace, very forgiving bike, even go through corners a gear to high. I think this 790 is a very well thought out bike and built with an affordable price in mind. After coming off a MV800, the only thing the 790 isn't better at is initial brake bite, the brakes are ok, but lack that initial bite, i guess a pad change could be a simple option......(or mono block 50s) So very happy with the 790, and i know my son will love it when he visits to ride it.
To date the only downside is/was the bite of the front brakes. Switched to SBS RS pads. No longer an issue for road use. Iíve bought some Brembo monoblocks to fit if there are track issues.
The bike is so light and the engine for normal road use is spot on. Not missing my 1290 SDR at all.
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 06:24 PM

Remarks on the quick shifter

Mine is a little abrupt and it seems to like firm toe input. I once lightly pulled on the toe shifter, it went into 3rd and then popped back down into 2nd. I'm coming from an Aprilia and that bike had very smooth shifts as long as it was above 4 grand no matter the throttle opening. The 790 QS is not as smooth as the Tuono V4 but still works fine. I'm still breaking in my bike and i notice that the gear changes are getting smoother. I only assume the transmission needs to break in as well.

I have not used the QS on down shifts yet.

I really like the bike so far. Heat isn't bad right now but summer has yet to arrive. The Tuono is a FIRE BALL when driven around town below 45 mph. I've had hot starts where the V4 refused to start. So the Duke is great in that regard.

One thing I did notice is that the fuel warning pops up and covers the entire screen. I understand that you can acknowledge this alarm by pressing the menu button, but I wish the warning didn't take up the entire screen. This annoyed me to a small degree.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page