What to love or hate about the 2018+ KTM 790 Duke? - Page 2 - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 32Likes

post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 02:57 AM

After only 300km I am yet to find any 'cons'. Quick shift up needs firm input, down, not so much. Steering is great. Breaks are excellent (they do need more pressure than some but feel is excellent). My only negatives are the things I usually change on bikes - tail tidy, exhaust etc.
I will update this in another 1000kms or so.
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 03:52 AM

The only real negative stuff that i think about every ride:
1. Like stated earlier, the TFT- display day/night circle sensitivity .
2. Paranoia (wouldn't be KTM without this <3), the constant checking for leakages every single ride.
Maybe the fueling if i am nitpicking, but that's ride by wire-> nothing beats good old cable throttle.

Other than that the bike is light, responsive, incredible ergos (can easily tour for over 5h), great ergo customization options, good standard suspension-> setup well for my more spirited style of riding, brakes are okay considering the price, can always be upgraded. The electronics(lean-sensitive traction control & abs) are working exceptionally well.

More in-depth review can be found on my channel.

Btw, ktm should get their act together with the power-parts (better information and availability).
Cheers!
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 11:22 PM

Haven't bought one yet but being someone open to what other brands are offering, I wish KTM gave us more color options. The typical KTM theme is great but its time we get more options, especially as motorcycle sales have increased ensuring these increased options won't come at a loss.
post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMfan View Post
Haven't bought one yet but being someone open to what other brands are offering, I wish KTM gave us more color options. The typical KTM theme is great but its time we get more options, especially as motorcycle sales have increased ensuring these increased options won't come at a loss.
So so many alternative graphics kits out there... You can have almost anything.

KTM is synonymous with black and orange, it's what they do, what they've always done. Apart from a bit of white, you couldn't really expect them to use anything else and dilute their branding.
AMatu likes this.
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 07:24 AM

I've put a small piece of black tape over the light sensor to stop the TFT display continuously changing, prefer it in night mode.
owl, AMatu, swebiker and 1 others like this.
post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 02:31 AM

Found my first con today.
Went to head out for a ride with 2 bars showing on the fuel gauge and 100km range. I was only going 60 odd kms before the next fuel stop so thought not a problem. About 10 km down the road range was still showing 100km and I was getting a bit nervous about it's accuracy. I turned around and headed back to the nearest gas station less than 10km away. By the time I got there the range as showing 80km??? Hasn't inspired me with confidence but will experiment a bit more when I can.
Done just over 900km now and can notice the engine freeing up. Feels like the hand break has been let off.
post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 05:58 PM

1) First bike I've ever had that's fun on surface streets around town. Most bikes are a pita at low speeds, parking lots, to and from red lights, etc.

2) Best shifter I've had so far as well. Miles better than my 13 675R and a wee bit better than my 17 RSV4.

3) Engine

Dislikes:
1) Cosmetics (mirrors, wheels should be orange, orange plastic doesn't look as good as that on the 390s for some reason, ugly indicators on the US version)
post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 03:05 PM

Garage
For what it's worth, I've just put together a review of the first 1500 km of ownership: Confessions of an Ageing Motorcyclist: The Scalpel - one month and 1500 km down the track . It's naturally a personal one slanted towards the reasons I bought the Duke. (Age, height, but the need for performance too). Hope there's something of interest in it.

Cheers,

Geoff
post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
For what it's worth, I've just put together a review of the first 1500 km of ownership: Confessions of an Ageing Motorcyclist: The Scalpel - one month and 1500 km down the track . It's naturally a personal one slanted towards the reasons I bought the Duke. (Age, height, but the need for performance too). Hope there's something of interest in it.

Cheers,

Geoff
Great write up Geoff
Geoff likes this.
post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 05:45 PM

Great write up Geoff, well done for putting the effort in. One question, have you known a few dodgy chicks in your time?? Hey look forward to catching up with you sometime on the road...May be Wanga pub.
Geoff likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page