Wales weekend adventure... Awesome - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By weeksy
  • 1 Post By weeksy

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Wales weekend adventure... Awesome

So we had the TRC weekend in Wales. Much fun was had and everyone came back safely, all bikes worked perfectly... Much beer and many many Long Island Ice Teas were consumed.

So that's the quick version...

the longer one with Pics then

Tricky and Kev (Trickys brother and sometimes TRC trackdayer) turned up bright and early on Friday to head off. We had a route planned, which we actually ignored most of because of the Sat Nav of despair (as it later is known as), but i knew the roads well and was happy to show the lads the best way for the first section.

I'd gone for the Pekev Resurgence jeans, my trainer type TCX boots and the KTM jacket... all the kit worked perfectly for me and was warm enough.

The Sat Nav took us on a few random roads around Forest of Dean area but we got past that and were soon into Wales. The roads were great and big Kev was getting used to my riding style of tickling my brake on corner entry. Anyone who's ridden with me knows the riding style, i've always done it and try not to !
We ended up in Rayader for lunch and stuck on our phone software with Google Maps to see where OCD and Graham were, weirdly they were 8 miles from us, despite none of that being planned at all. We were eating lunch in a random hipster beatnik cafe.

2019-06-21_02-07-22 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

But despite it being a weird place, the food was excellent and the beer was great.

Tricky and Kev certainly seemed to enjoy theirs too !

2019-06-21_02-07-29 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Tricky then took us on the magical mystery tour and a few random lanes. But we all had fun and made it eventually to our destination. I'm not sure the pic does full justice to how narrow and gravelly this was. (But it got funnier over the next few days)
2019-06-23_06-54-21 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Ice cream soon followed as we'd arrived in Aberystwyth
2019-06-23_06-56-13 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Sun was shining and it was glorious !
2019-06-23_06-57-10 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

So it was beer o'clock of course.
2019-06-23_06-55-58 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

It was then out for Indian with the most ridiculous plates ever !
2019-06-23_06-55-41 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

After that it got horrifically messy when the doorman of some posh cocktail bar was OK with us wearing shorts and trainers etc and at very very late o'clock we all staggered to the hotel. I was deeply deeply messy. Even messier the next morning.

But we headed out and Tricky took us to Hellfire pass... I wouldn't exactly call some of his 'roads' roads... i'm not even sure i'd call some of them Byways !

2019-06-23_06-54-21 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

2019-06-23_06-55-11 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Watching OCD's reaction to some of these gravel goat tracks was absolutely comical. Him hustling his GSXR1000 and big Kev putting the K1300 BMW up these lanes was one of the highlights !

We eventually ended up at Anglsey circuit and met up with Phlik. He was racing in the Formula 600 class and was whooped and cheered him onto a brilliant 9th place ... Top job with a cracking overtake into the hairpin on the last lap where he knew we were all watching..

It was then onto Bewts-y-coed.... Not by the normal roads, no siree, we were back on the goat-tracks ! Some roads though... kinda.

Beers, merryment and banter followed in the evening, cut-short by me as i was still delicate !

Sunday brought the trip home and the best roads over to the Ponderosa cafe near Llangollen. But also yup, you guessed it, some goat tracks !

This one was the most goaty goat track of the weekend, puddles, mud, stones, rocks, sheep ****, it had it all... I honestly thought OCD was going to get off and throw Tricky over the cliff ! But we had some fun roads too.

2019-06-23_04-26-36 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Me, Tricky and Kev then left the rest of the boys and went one way, they went the other.

We caught some excellent roads on the way home, but mostly they were packed with cars..But that was sadly the whole weekend, cars, cars, cars... Oh and goat tracks !

It showed me that riding in Germany is just so much more amazing for these trips, but there's more to follow on that in the future

Eventually we jumped on the M40 instead of the A roads and hot-footed it back to Berks for a mammoth cleaning session on the 790. It's taking a while i have to say, meh...

So how was the KTM 790, i have to say, it was BRILLIANT, it's so good, so nice, so comfy, it just does everything. Sadly i was the limiting factor to it and i struggled a little when the boys upped their pace, but hey, it's not the bikes fault. It was great... Comfy all day... Fast, effortless power. Superb.

Massive thanks to Tricky for the leading/Sat Nav stuff, it gave us some laughs despite the names i called him at times.. Big thanks to Kev for being my backup buddy and covering me

Buble shoes was on fine form and gave us more laughs than i thought possible and OCD was a lovely lovely bloke as always. We had one of his mates who came along too who joined in brilliantly and helped make the weekend what it was.

I've already forgotten about all the cars and the lasting memory of the weekend is being with mates having a laugh... Awesome.

2019-06-23_06-54-33 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr
Grim Reaper Dodger and J D like this.
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 01:19 PM

Garage
Hi Weeksy.
I can assure you that Wales has some fantastic "Non Goat Track" roads, but most satnavs algorithms don't quite pick the same route as planned. I have found that when you have planned a route, it's a good idea to zoom in on the route & be really precise with waypoints, then put the route onto your satnav, run it & I then compare the live route it picks with my laptop & adjust if needed.

Or just go with the flow!!. . . . . the above is a bit OCD.

Glad you enjoyed your trip.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 12:04 AM
J D

Eye In The Sky

Wow! Sounds like a winning trip for sure! Did you encounter any goats on all these goat trails you ran across? haha, but they're good eatin'. Looks like you had a blast, mate!

Forum Admin. Life goes by faster than a summer vacation.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevra View Post
Wow! Sounds like a winning trip for sure! Did you encounter any goats on all these goat trails you ran across? haha, but they're good eatin'. Looks like you had a blast, mate!
No goats, but bazillions of sheep.... and tonnes of crap ! I was laughing like a lunatic how our ride leader could take some of our selection of bikes on these lanes... i really thought he would be getting strung up !
J D likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 10:26 AM

Cymru yn gwych! 😀🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 02:47 PM
J D

Eye In The Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeksy View Post
No goats, but bazillions of sheep.... and tonnes of crap ! I was laughing like a lunatic how our ride leader could take some of our selection of bikes on these lanes... i really thought he would be getting strung up !
hahaha, that's great.

Forum Admin. Life goes by faster than a summer vacation.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page