KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

What Did You Do To Your Duke Today? + Off Topic

438K views 2K replies 146 participants last post by  Eon790duke 
#1 ·
Share what you did to your KTM 790 Duke with the community!

Example: Took my KTM 790 Duke in to service today for an oil change. Can't wait till she gets broken in.

Example: Gave my KTM 790 Duke a nice wash followed by a coat of wax for protection.

Example: Installed new lever guards :)

Anything goes....

#293 · (Edited)
After only 8000KM I’m noticing more and more pulsing on the front brake - a grabby feeling at low speeds but much more pronounced if braking from 100+...it’s a little disappointing as I hardly touch the brake. Commuting and Saturday scratching only. So even if I get new rotors under warranty I’m concerned they’ll just warp in a hundred miles or so....

Anyone else had the same issue? How did KTM manage it? Is there an upgrade disc that won’t turn into toffee?

Tom in Sydney

#307 ·
I fitted the PP ones the other day - mostly to stop the shiny plastic from scuffing, but they are quite grippy!

A bit of guesswork and eye-balling to get them lined up in the right place but really easy to fit - I actually think they improve the look of the bike.

#309 ·
So any conclusion on which tank pads work best?

Had good experience with the TechSpec on my CBR and with the StompGrip on both RC8 and ZX6R. Tried the cheap Chinese ones on the Kawi and they failed miserably (the adhesive).

PP's Look nice and so do these Moto-D's, but I don't have experience with either.

#310 ·
I installed the PP tank pads on mine. Just for clarification they are on the sides of the tank, not the rear facing your junk. I like them! They fit nicely, break up the monotony of the huge plastic piece, and are pretty grippy. The adhesive has been great. No de-lamination at all in the cold or the extreme heat.

My only gripe with them is that my knees/thighs don’t really hit over the whole pad. The ergos of where my legs fall are not in that exact spot, rather just below them. If I’m hugging up on the tank and hanging off, then they serve their purpose, but otherwise they are pretty much for show. I do however like the piece of mind that my pants won’t scratch the plastics and that the grip is there when i am counting on it for railing corners!

#313 ·
Went to get coffee with a colleague. 95 degrees F and 3750% humidity (or at least this is how it felt) in North Carolinian August.

Got on the Duke, leaned onto my new, flatter, wider bars and forgot about everything else.

Good thing that:

1. My trusted old Dainese jacket flows a lot of air.
2. My Arai is pretty well vented, and...
3. I managed to remember that a friend is waiting for me at the coffee-shop...

I took the long way back to the office.

Every day (almost) on a bike is a good day. The Duke just puts a smile on my face.

#330 ·
Finally got the bike out of van and rode it!

After a really crap journey on Friday from Margate to Kidderminster then onto my mates in Sheffield the sun finally shined!
Saturday morning I had my first taste of the 790 Duke and slipping, sliding, shaking and jumping my way around some of Yorkshire's finest roads. The bike is amazing! The chassis/engine/feel/sound/looks are all great but the OE tyres are limiting, the rear shock is crap and brakes possibly need a little tweak too. Looking at how a lot of people ride I think these issues would probably not come to light so I think KTM got it right. By keeping the price down and offering the bike with the high spec electronics package things like tyres, brakes, and suspension can be upgraded by those that want/need to.
I shall wait to try it out on better surfaced roads in France and Spain before investing in any upgrades but I think ultimately
they will benefit my enjoyment of this bike enormously.
Unfortunately the weekend is over☹and there’s work to be done elsewhere so I guess that’s my fix for a while but I’ll be sure to share here again as I am now part of a new family.
The futures bright - the futures ORANGE!
:smile_big:
Booney

Attachments

#332 ·
The stock tyres are not actually that bad, once they are up to temp, however it does take a long time to get them warmed up properly and they don't hold it well either.

I've now switched out to a set of Road 5 and can already feel the difference, even after a short journey the tyre is warmer than on longer rides with the Maxxis.

If I only rode in dry warm conditions I probably would have gone with a set of Rosso Corsa 3's, but they're near lethal in wet.

#333 ·
The stock tyres are not actually that bad, once they are up to temp, however it does take a long time to get them warmed up properly and they don't hold it well either.
Agreed. Not that I am going to get a new set of stockers after the OEM die, but I will wait to replace them when they come of age, which should't take too long.

Probably going to end up with Q3+. I am a Dunlop Qualifier fan.

#334 ·
Hi all its been a while.Well I have to own up to being lured back to the Dark Side.!!:)
I have bought another 1290 SDR.2nd Gen this time.Unfortunately the 790 had to go:(
It was a year of enjoyable biking.Great bike but as they say,Power Corrups and Absolute Power Corrups Absolutely..:)
Enjoy your 790,s and as ever
RIDE SAFE :)

#346 ·
Ordered new clutch plates a’la 190€ and clutch case gasket. Bike has 10000km on the clock and the clutch is slipping on motorways if you go full throttle on 3rd or 4th. Oem motorex oil in the engine. It started doing this after the service. Very annoying.
Maybe the previous owner had put different oil between services. Dunno. Glad its only 200€ fix.

#353 ·
Am I the only one who doesnt want a bigger motor? The 790 is a perfect size to have fun plus keep you out of trouble. I don't have any interest in stock suspension being improved from the factory either, i'd rather drop in my own stuff that is setup for me. The only thing I like the idea of from the factory is the brembo brakes!
I’m quite happy with power of the 790 now, and this is coming from a guy who had a 1290.:smile:
Mind you I have a 15 tooth front sprocket and a Power Commander loaded with a Rottweiler map:smile: