From Spain - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 10Likes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

From Spain

Hi everybody

Happy to find this forum about our bike. Just arrived from a 9 days trip through the north of Spain and Pyrenees. 5k km without a single issue but lots of fun all the way long. The perfect bike for the mountain roads up there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180629_134958.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	317.7 KB
ID:	52   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180629_095927.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	299.6 KB
ID:	54  
Administrator and J D like this.
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 08:15 AM

Welcome to the forum! Looks like some awesome scenic riding.
peewee69 likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 12:25 PM
LC8

Welcome! Seems like you've got an ideal stomping grounds for your Duke. Glad to hear you didn't come across any issues on your longer trip. Any modification plans for the bike?
peewee69 likes this.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 06:29 PM
owl

Super-Moderator

Garage
Awesome, how did you find it on the longer hauls. Iím definitely going to be planning a few trips around France/Spain next year!
peewee69 likes this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC8 View Post
Welcome! Seems like you've got an ideal stomping grounds for your Duke. Glad to hear you didn't come across any issues on your longer trip. Any modification plans for the bike?
Thank you!

After 11.000 km I couldn't be happier with this bike. Any issues and any noticeable oil consumption.

Few modifications, I am waiting for the cover of the passenger seat and I have removed both footrests. I also changed the original mirrors for some of the givi brand that improve visibility.

The only important thing I would replace is the rear shock absorber with a higher quality one, but I'm selling my 790 in a few months so I don't really think it's worthy. I would also recommend changing the Maxxis tyres for your favourite ones; you may notice, as I did, a big improvement.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 09:04 AM
owl

Super-Moderator

Garage
why are you selling if you enjoy it so much?

Observation is the greatest source of wisdom.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by owl View Post
Awesome, how did you find it on the longer hauls. Iím definitely going to be planning a few trips around France/Spain next year!
Hello owl. I found my Duke unexpectedly comfortable with lots of room for my legs considering its size. The seat allows to change your position and that really helps. I just missed a cruise control to give some rest to my right hand. You have to be careful when fixing a tail bag, it can get burnt with the hot exhaust gases. Mine was.

When coming to Spain, feel free to contact me, I can help you with some really good routes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by owl View Post
why are you selling if you enjoy it so much?
I rode for many years off road motorcycles when I was young, I didn't ride anything but a scooter for 15 years (family, childrens, etc...) and two years ago I bought my first street bike. Now I enjoy trying many different things (although I suspect that my bike, the bike, is something with a 1.301 cc engine inside...)

But the 790 is great. Wild but easy, nice combination. FUN, smile in yor face.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke790 View Post
Welcome to the forum! Looks like some awesome scenic riding.
Thank you Duke790! Yes indeed, there are so many awesome roads here. What about your place?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 12:30 PM

Welcome to the forum!
peewee69 likes this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 11:51 AM
owl

Super-Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by peewee69 View Post
Hello owl. I found my Duke unexpectedly comfortable with lots of room for my legs considering its size. The seat allows to change your position and that really helps. I just missed a cruise control to give some rest to my right hand. You have to be careful when fixing a tail bag, it can get burnt with the hot exhaust gases. Mine was.

When coming to Spain, feel free to contact me, I can help you with some really good routes.

I rode for many years off road motorcycles when I was young, I didn't ride anything but a scooter for 15 years (family, childrens, etc...) and two years ago I bought my first street bike. Now I enjoy trying many different things (although I suspect that my bike, the bike, is something with a 1.301 cc engine inside...)

But the 790 is great. Wild but easy, nice combination. FUN, smile in yor face.
Was a bit disappointed that it didn't have a cruise control either, but understandable at the price point.

There's a small plastic device, they go by a few names such as wrist rest, throttle clamp/paddle which you attach to the throttle that allows your palm to sit on the plastic so you don't have to hold the grip continuously. It's not quite as good as CC, but certainly helps on longer journeys for bikes without.

Thanks for the tail bag exhaust warning, I'm aware of the issue from ktm uk melting his blinkers haha

Will definitely message you for some routes, will probably be early next year at this rate though.

I too wanted the SD, but the insurance for my area being in city is just ridiculous, and to be honest the 790 actually makes more sense for my current situation, but one day, it will either be that or the tuono or the panigale hahahah

Observation is the greatest source of wisdom.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page