Any 990 SD owners/former owners make the switch? - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By weeksy
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
eb125's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 5
Question Any 990 SD owners/former owners make the switch?

The 790 Duke seems like KTM listened to the thoughts inside my head about wanting something as comfortable as their 990 SD but with fewer vibes and less weight. I haven't had a chance to demo one yet and I would like to hear any feedback from riders with 990 experience that have ridden the 790.


There is a local (SF bay area) demo ride scheduled for the end of March but that's a bit of a ways out. If anyone can chime in with their comparisons it would be appreciated.


Almost all of my riding these days is either commuting or the odd fun ride through the east bay hills (tight and twisty) with track days a thing of the past so the lack of suspension adjustability isn't much of a sacrifice. And I've never even ridden, much less owned, anything with traction control or the other electronic stuff. Curious how all of it adds up.
eb125 is offline  
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 11:34 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 270
Onwed several 990SDs, the 790 couldn't be less like a 990 if it were a goldfish. They share the fact they're both motorbikes, both KTMs, but apart from that they have NOTHING even remotely the same about them.

Well, apart from both being brilliant.

the 990SD is tall, raw, agressive. The 790 is shorter, longer, smooth and easy
owl likes this.
weeksy is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 05:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Carmarthenshire. Wales. UK
Posts: 192
I have had a 990 Superduke and changed both my 990 SMT & 690 Duke for the 790.
The 790 is different in a better way, and without the notorious snatchiness low down throttle of the 990, and way better mpg.
The lightness is more like the 690 and the lack of adjustable suspension is not a problem as it is so well set up as it is.
The electronics are a good thing and donít take away from the riding experience.
Donít take my word for it get yourself a test ride (if the weather is okay).
Bugz is offline  
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 05:56 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Not Glasgow.
Posts: 16
I traded my 990 SD for a 790, as @weeksy says , totally different bike. Miss my SD.
bigtree is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
eb125's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtree View Post
I traded my 990 SD for a 790, as @weeksy says , totally different bike. Miss my SD.

Thanks for the reply BigTree. Curious just what it is about the 990 that you miss? Just the raw nature of it? I can't imagine the 790 doesn't feel just as fast if not faster than the 990.
eb125 is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 01:35 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by eb125 View Post
Thanks for the reply BigTree. Curious just what it is about the 990 that you miss? Just the raw nature of it? I can't imagine the 790 doesn't feel just as fast if not faster than the 990.
I think that sums it up yeah. The 990SD is raw... it has only 1 function, 1 purpose, to terrify you and everyone around you. It has a sense of presence with it's size, stature and shape, it just looks and feels agressive.

Speed wise, there's very little in it, the stock SD and stock 790 are not far apart... but the 790 gets there with less RARRRGGGGHHHHHH and more swoosh....
weeksy is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 05:02 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Not Glasgow.
Posts: 16
Yes every bit as fast ,one silky smooth and the other rugged and raw. I can always take out the wee Duke (690) for a milder experience.
bigtree is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 03:31 AM
Wish You Were Here
 
anotheronetoday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Northampton UK
Posts: 620
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eb125 View Post
The 790 Duke seems like KTM listened to the thoughts inside my head about wanting something as comfortable as their 990 SD but with fewer vibes and less weight. I haven't had a chance to demo one yet and I would like to hear any feedback from riders with 990 experience that have ridden the 790.


There is a local (SF bay area) demo ride scheduled for the end of March but that's a bit of a ways out. If anyone can chime in with their comparisons it would be appreciated.


Almost all of my riding these days is either commuting or the odd fun ride through the east bay hills (tight and twisty) with track days a thing of the past so the lack of suspension adjustability isn't much of a sacrifice. And I've never even ridden, much less owned, anything with traction control or the other electronic stuff. Curious how all of it adds up.
I have ridden but not owned a 990

go for an hours test ride on a 790, probably within 15 minutes you will have decided to buy one

I would say better in everyway way

Joy is riding your bike to it's limit
anotheronetoday is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
eb125's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 5
This feedback kind of confirms what I already thought about the differences between the two bikes. I'll try to make some coherent comments on my demo ride if and when it takes place. Should happen in a few weeks.


Ed
eb125 is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 02:11 AM
Junior Member
 
Chicky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 12
As above, ridden but not owned the 990. Did a couple of trackdays on one but couldn’t have chosen it as a road bike as far too tall and heavy for me. Was very happy when the 790 came out and I could just about get the very tip of my toes on the floor! That’s enough!
I would say the 790 is perhaps more forgiving, more versatile, less of an outright hooligan bike.
Chicky is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
790 Duke Owners Manual 7Ninety Off Topic Discussions 4 12-04-2018 05:20 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome