I've jumped ship... Back to a 690. - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 12Likes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 02:17 AM Thread Starter

I've jumped ship... Back to a 690.

Ever since selling the previous 690 i had some regrets. I bonded really well with that bike, we got along brilliantly and despite some quirks i felt it was absolutely spot on for me.

But then i jumped ship as the KTM 990 SuperdukeR which had been on my bucket list came up at a price and time that suited me. However that didn't quite work out and somehow i ended up with a 790.

Whenever i'd ridden the 790 i felt it was too close between the seat and pegs, certainly compared to the 690s that came before it. But i decided to go for it anyway and really enjoyed the bike, doing a trip round Wales with the boys and a recent trackday at Pembrey with the forum.

However, i never really bonded or gelled with the 790, i never really fell in love with it as a bike, sure it was good, effective, the electronics were great etc, but still it left me feeling a bit 'meh' at times and a sense of excitement never appeared for me. Admittedly the Quickshifter is excellent, so is the noise of the exhaust, but i dunno, i was never quite 'there'

The final stumbling block was the comfort side which seems to have been giving my knees a bit of trouble. Combined with a higher number of miles than usual i was feeling tweaks day to day. That was the final and sealing nail in the coffin for the 790.

So i spent yesterday disucssing with myself and I had 3 options.

1. KTM 690 SMC-R Brand new. 2019-05-03_09-30-45 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr
The plus sides being : Brand new bike. Quickshifter+ and all the gizmos. It looks absolutely brilliant.
Downsides : It's £9000+ and the riding position i think would take a bit of getting used to, i didn't quite fall in love with it on the test rides.

2. KTM 690 DukeR.
This was almost the game changer, with the Monoblock caliper, the higher level of suspension along with Akra exhaust etc. But the downside being things like the footpeg position being too cramped along with my knee issues maybe causing issue, when i had the R footrests on my old 690 i didn't get on with them. Plus, i really wanted 'new' as this is likely to be probably my final bike purchase.

3. New 2018 690 base model. s-l1600 (1) by Steve Weeks, on Flickr
KTM are knocking these out for £2500 off RRP at £5799 with this particular dealer. Along with a very good trade in on the 790 i was sold. The brand new and 2 years warranty along with being the right ergonomics and i was sold. So the deal was struck and the new bike is arriving in a couple of days time. Well, early next week when i go to collect it that is. Just got to wait for it to go through the workshop.

I'm really looking forward to it, getting back on it and thrapping the 690 again. I always feel more at home on a bike i can feel like i'm making it work and try, rather than a bike i feel would be sitting under me and getting completely bored due to my ability. The 690 always suited my riding, my wants and my needs etc, so this can only be a good thing.

Bring on the orange !
AMatu likes this.
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 09:19 AM

Wow what a journey you have had.
Looks like I missed out on the sale of all your bits off the 790. Bummer as i had just bought the exhaust bracket and rad guard from evotech lol.
Hope you have fun on your new steed mate.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 10:58 AM
Pgm

Garage
I know you loved the 690 Steve but this surprised me when I read it elsewhere.
I have the new bike feeling at the moment as I get my new 790 next week.
weeksy likes this.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 11:59 AM
J D

Eye In The Sky

I'm happy, if yer happy, Steve. Personally, I'd 'a' jumped to the SMC-R, if I were jumping, but I'm not. ;-)
weeksy likes this.

Forum Admin. Life goes by faster than a summer vacation.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 03:53 PM

Garage
Good for you Steve! Completely understand as I had an identical issue with the GSX-S 1000 I owned before the 790. Despite the excellent performance, I didn't feel any emotional attachment. It didn't even get patted when I walked past it in the shed! Your experience and mine really does reinforce that enjoying a bike not only involves the technical aspects, but the emotional impact too.

All the very best,

Geoff
weeksy likes this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 06:12 PM
VIP Member

You’ve got to go with where your heart is.
weeksy likes this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 06:42 PM

I can understand exactly your issue as I am probably of similar vintage to you and also with ‘knees’ ergonomics problems.
I also had a 690 which I got rid of for the 790, (along with a 990 SMT).
I still love my 790 BUT I hate the brakes, I want better responsive powerful braking, which currently I don't have.
Give me back Brembo’s !
The 690 is a great bike, Always fun, never dull.
I cannot condemn your reverting back to the 690.
weeksy likes this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 10:51 AM

Can't see a 690 Duke having more leg room, I had one and it seems the 790 is more comfortable and a more exciting bike to ride. I would have gone with the SMC 690 myself.
DaveNZ likes this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippyrides View Post
Can't see a 690 Duke having more leg room, I had one and it seems the 790 is more comfortable and a more exciting bike to ride. I would have gone with the SMC 690 myself.
I've owned 2 before, I also test rode another before completing deal. I'm not making it up
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 11:08 AM

BUGZ, do yourself a favor and try some different brake pads. I installed some SBS track day street pads and what a difference! Truly 2 finger braking with tons of power. No need for Brembo Master and Calipers. I do a ton of track days and use to race a TZ 250 Grand Prix bike back in my youth, so I'm very picky about my brakes. I went with the SBS pads because they can take the heat of a race track, but don't need to be warm to work, so a great street pad as well. I posted the part number under brakes and suspension.
DaveNZ likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page