Cruise control - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 10Likes

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 04:09 AM Thread Starter

Cruise control

Hi all,

check out this link

the same on picture on this page https://www.ktm.com/en/naked/790-duk...re-electronics.

It looks that Cruise control icon is by default and this is standard option for this bike. But yet, it not display on my dashboard, nor option to enable it.

Do you happen to know if this is a matter of some software upgrade?
owl likes this.
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 07:59 PM

Garage
Doesn't come standard on the 790 but it's interesting to see the actual cruise control icon on the 790 dash. Looks like it was a planned feature than got canned later on in development.

I know the 790 Adventure bikes have a cruise control option which is a handlebar switch upgrade and activated through the KTM dealer. Seems like it would be possible to add it to our bikes if it can be turned on by the dealership. I just don't know if the option exists on their diagnostic tablet. I'm good friends with my local dealer and I'll see if there's more I can find out.
Wiremanjon likes this.

2019 KTM 790 Duke
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 05:36 PM

Have been waiting and asking around for cruise control for over a year now, at this point seriously doubt it. Even though it wouldn’t be so hard and people are willing to pay money for it.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 06:21 PM

Garage
Although unconnected with cruise control, it would seem that some dash features don't get mentioned. A few weeks ago, I had a large snowflake icon pop up in the screen warning me of ice. Try as I may, I couldn't find any reference to it in the manual. I went on line and found the 790 Adventure manual and it's definitely referred to in that. Has anyone else seen an ice warning on their dash?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 06:50 PM

The manual does mention a general warning note with the triangle symbol which I have seen (more than once with ice) which will appear on the display. Not very much else mentioned though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7A1ADFEF-0061-4FA2-A25D-21568F61C8BB.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	1906  
Geoff likes this.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 08:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugz View Post
The manual does mention a general warning note with the triangle symbol which I have seen (more than once with ice) which will appear on the display. Not very much else mentioned though.
Yep, when I finally figured how to get rid of the big snowflake icon and returned the screen to its normal configuration, the general warning symbol stayed lit up until the ambient temperature increased. Gave me a moment's panic until I cottoned on!
owl likes this.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 07:09 AM

cruise control would be pretty awesome

not really in the same class but i can really recommend these:
https://www.mcas.com.au/shop/item/xt...EaAs-6EALw_wcB

it turns freely upwards and locks downwards, so you lift it up then rest your palm on it and the weight of you hand holds the throttle open. no need for engaging the fingers. When you're done simply lift it up and over and it sits in the no mans land between the end of your fingers and your palm.

i'm not really explaining it very well but for long journeys on my old bike it was great.
owl and dma like this.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 07:35 AM
owl

Super-Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugz View Post
Page 116 mentions it briefly

Quote:
If the ice warning appears in the combination instrument, the roads may be icy. Adjust your speed to the road conditions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnets View Post
not really in the same class but i can really recommend these:
https://www.mcas.com.au/shop/item/xt...EaAs-6EALw_wcB
These are very "handy" for longer journeys, see what I did there essentially acts as a palm rest.
Geoff likes this.

Observation is the greatest source of wisdom.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 03:31 PM
dma

Oh yes @magnets - I've ridden with these for years and really like them, just the pressure from the heel of your hand is enough to control the throttle so really comfortable for all day riding.

It only takes a couple of rides to get used to it then you don't even think about it once you get it in the perfect position for your hand / right glove.

You can find them as "Cramp Buster" or "Throttle Assist" on Amazon (and ebay) - they are really cheap and all much the same really, just a piece of nylon or ABS plastic.
owl likes this.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 05:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by owl View Post
Page 116 mentions it briefly
Thanks for that Owl, didn't spot it, despite reading the manual a couple of times. What my wife would call "a man's look", apparently
owl likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page