3Likes
  • 1 Post By Chic
  • 1 Post By Ant1GOV
  • 1 Post By barbagris

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Super-Moderator

Garage
Exhaust Sounds

Motonet does a nice job of piecing together a lot of different exhaust sounds. I wish they would do a drive by for each in quicker succession but this is the best clip I found to really get a good picture of each ones different sound. Although it's long, you have to pay attention as sometimes they don't tell you which one is which, but after some research on a few, you can pretty much tell which is which by the look.

I want to pick up a louder pipe as I like to be heard, especially on the highway. This is why I am looking at the Remus. Anyone know of another that is louder?
J D likes this.

Keep the rubber side down!

R.I.P:
RT180
YZ125
R1
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 05:16 PM

To be complete honest with you.
If you want a loud bike so that you can be heard on the highway you can look for a very long time. Not gonna happen. At highway speeds you hear the other automotive either when they are right on your ass or have passed you. A very bad reason for wanting to have a loud pipe.

That being said, if you want a loud bike you should be looking at a full system exhaust of course. I have no actually dB numbers of them, but I've heard the Akra in person.

I know that the full system from Akrapovic is INSANELY loud. So loud that I would actually prefer to ride it with the DP killer, just so that I don't get stopped by every cop that I come across.
This one is not street legal, but... I mean does anyone really care? The Akrapovic end pipe has an euro sticker on it so if you get checked it's going to turn up fine.

Video is worth watching completely. Very awesome cinematography!

The full system from Austin Racing is also very loud. But have only heard it from the web. No other experience with it.
Our Italian friend below has a very cool video showing the Austin Racing exhaust. Sounds brutal...
barbagris likes this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 01:47 AM
SuperDuker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant1GOV View Post
To be complete honest with you.
If you want a loud bike so that you can be heard on the highway you can look for a very long time. Not gonna happen. At highway speeds you hear the other automotive either when they are right on your ass or have passed you.
A year ago I would have disagreed - But back then I drove a 25 year old Land Rover and in that you heard (and smelled) everything.
Our replacement modern car is like being inside a soundproof box. Even Police/Ambulance sirens are only just audible.
On a bike I now wear earplugs - I have Tinnitus from other causes, and I refuse to make it worse.

Now I like a bit of brmmmmm. My G5 runs on open pipes (and has done since 1986), the R3 has a custom short 3 into 1. My Buell ran on an open V&H SS2R. But it's hedonism - I doubt the adage of Loud Pipes Save Lives is valid these days. I am undecided what to do on the KTM - It burbles but is (hedonistic-ally) a bit subdued.

Of course one could argue that I am getting older, grumpier and whatever. But that would be a wild assumption.
Ant1GOV likes this.

Small steps - Day by Day.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Super-Moderator

Garage
I agree with you Barbagris. My R1 was insanely loud (though I had a full Muzzy pipe on it). I've come to realize I am not getting anywhere near the sound with two pistons. Regardless, I like my Remus, and it sounds plenty loud. I will look at a cat delete at some point when my warranty expires!

Keep the rubber side down!

R.I.P:
RT180
YZ125
R1

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page