Mustard Bikes Tail Tidy - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 12Likes

post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Super-Moderator

Garage
Mustard Bikes Tail Tidy

So after some great comments by a few of you guys, I decided to go with the Mustard Bikes tail tidy. I was on the fence between the Evotech and the Mustard; the overseas ordering was steering me clear from Mustard, but the price was steering me clear from the Evotech. In the US, the Evotech costs $192. I thought the Mustard costs $130, + $30 shipping, but that is $AUS. After the handy dandy Google currency calculator, I found out that the exchange rate is way in favor for the US (Thank you Mr. Trump for plummeting our Dollar!) at a rate of 1:1.43. Thus, the Mustard tidy costs only $118 US.

I figured I would post up for guys who are thinking of a tail tidy and aren't sure, or don't want to spend the exuberant amount in the US for one, go with the Mustard! Cheapest you will find. From all my research, it looks the best and is pretty much plug and play, even with the US stock signals (even though you will end up melting them). I will let you all know how shipping and delivery goes, and of course, the install!

Now....LED indicators or a Remus?....
bossev likes this.

Keep the rubber side down!

R.I.P:
RT180
YZ125
R1
post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 01:52 PM

Iīve got it and its very nice yes. But not sure about best looking. New Rage Cycles has just released theirs, looks mean as ****. Although probably the most expensive.

NavyDuke and bossev like this.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Super-Moderator

Garage
That's definitely a different look. Not sure I completely love it, but it is badass!

R.I.P:
RT180
YZ125
R1
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 10:13 AM

I’ve got a Mustard. Can vouch for ease of fitting. No cutting or soldering wires etc, and step by step YouTube clip is easier to follow than printed instructions. I’ve kept all the OEM stuff in case I want to put it back to stock. Without a mudguard the rear throws a lot of crud up onto the seat and tail bag which can be annoying.

Big advantage for Australia is the Mustard complies with current Australian design rules that so long as you spend the extra $18 on a reflector to go below the plate. I believe our local police are writing tickets for non-compliance with the letter of the law.

I also worried about the proximity of exhaust to indicators (we have small LEDs standard in Australia) but they really don’t get more than slightly warm. Bigger indicators and higher octane fuel in other countries may render a different result.

Tom in Sydney

Last edited by Shultz; 05-06-2019 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Spelling
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Super-Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shultz View Post
Iíve got a Mustard. Can vouch for ease of fitting. No cutting or soldering wires etc, and step by step YouTube clip is easier to follow than printed instructions. Iíve kept all the OEM stuff in case I want to put it back to stock. Without a mudguard the rear throws a lot of crud up onto the seat and tail bag which can be annoying.

Big advantage for Australia is the Mustard complies with current Australian design rules that so long as you spend the extra $18 on a reflector to go below the plate. I believe our local police are writing tickets for non-compliance with the letter of the law.

I also worried about the proximity of exhaust to indicators (we have small LEDs standard in Australia) but they really donít get more than slightly warm. Bigger indicators and higher octane fuel in other countries may render a different result.

Tom in Sydney
Good call! I didnt think about checking the local regs for the reflector, but having been riding for almost 20 years here, I have never been stopped for anything like that. I used to have my plate mounted way under my tail of the R1, no light on it, not nothing on the back. Hoping that remains the case!

I do have the big ugly bubble blinkers of the US style which suck, and when I slide them back they will be right behind the exhaust. I have some high temp heat shielding tape I am going to put on the back of the blinker for the time being after I see what the exhaust temp is coming out of the pipe. Ultimately I intend to throw a Remus on there so that won't be an issue...or maybe some LEDs.

My Mustard is ordered and has shipped. No delivery date yet but I ordered it on 5/4 so we will see how long the shipping takes from TAS to USA.

R.I.P:
RT180
YZ125
R1
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 07:46 AM

Good call. Donít forget there are no instructions so hopefully you can follow the Aussie accent on the you tube video...

Tom
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 05:45 PM

Video was perfect for the fitting, so straightforward.
GothTownDuke likes this.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Super-Moderator

Garage
Hahaha Tom! I already watched it! Video is perfect for install. I love the Aussie accent so yea I can understand him. SIRI on my iPhone is the Aussie girl.

R.I.P:
RT180
YZ125
R1
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Super-Moderator

Garage
Just to follow up, shipping to the US took 9 days. I didn't realize how much smaller the light and tidy is from the stock. I'm almost scared to put it on!

R.I.P:
RT180
YZ125
R1
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 01:56 AM

I'm still torn between the Evotech or the Mustard one. Let me know how you go with the install.

Australian KTM 790 Duke Group Facebook Page - https://www.facebook.com/groups/ausktm790duke/

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page