Radiator Guard - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 28Likes

post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 03:44 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Radiator Guard

Morning from sunny Leicestershire

Want a rad guard....whatís the best out there? Donít mind spending the £ if itís quality

Happy Easter riding all
post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 06:35 AM

I bought a Chinese copy of the Evotech one, can't remember if it was aliexpress or ebay. Fits fine and less than half the price.
Geoff, KiwiDuke and NickoDuke790 like this.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 10:00 PM

Garage
This is the one I bought: https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Motorcy...UAAOSw8-lb8CjW

Really good quality and easy to fit. The instructions were a poor resolution photocopy but adequate enough.
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 12:31 AM
J D

Eye In The Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
Really good quality and easy to fit..

I'm glad the quality is there. Horrific reviews/Feedback for that seller, though, usually scares me off.
owl likes this.

Forum Admin. Life goes by faster than a summer vacation.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 12:42 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevra View Post
I'm glad the quality is there. Horrific reviews/Feedback for that seller, though, usually scares me off.
Ten days from placing order to receipt in NZ which is fast for free delivery. Absolutely no complaints about service or quality! I must admit that I didn't look at the individual reviews, just the overall percentage.
owl and J D like this.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Purchased a genuine Evotech in the end.....came today, itís a really nice bit of kit beautifully engineered.... worth paying the extra 🙈👍🏻
owl likes this.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 04:59 AM
owl

Super-Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickoDuke790 View Post
Purchased a genuine Evotech in the end.....came today, it’s a really nice bit of kit beautifully engineered.... worth paying the extra ������
Also got the evotech, had them on most of my bikes. I understand frugality, but I don't understand spending thousands, if not tens of thousand (depending on currency) on a brand new bike and then slapping on some cheap chinese aftermarket tat.

I get that sometimes you may be able to find items where the quality is on par, however most of the knockoff stuff I've ended up with has either warped, peeled or broken, and yes I've read reviews first. Maybe I've just been unlucky.

Almost every bike I've sold I've been able to strip those aftermarket parts and reclaim at least 50% of the original cost by selling them separately if you can be bothered.
AMatu, J D and NickoDuke790 like this.

Observation is the greatest source of wisdom.

Last edited by owl; 04-25-2019 at 05:06 AM.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 08:39 AM

Was just looking at the evotech crash bobbins as well.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 04:15 AM

I spend where I think I need to. A radiator guard is not a very technical piece of equipment. Powder coated stamped alloy. Very easy to get right and not very expensive to produce. Not very much that can go wrong with it either. Mechanical things on the other hand...not so much trust in the cheap Chinese reproductions.
Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with people spending money on the "best" piece of kit but not being made of money, sometimes I think you can get a lot better value from something that doesn't have the fancy brand name on it. I have owned a lot of parts bought off sites like Ali Express and I haven't had any issues (yet). My radiator guard cost less than half of a R&G guard but looks good and does the job it was designed to do. No sign of it failing yet.
I recently bought a pair of bar end mirrors for $14 US delivered (yes, a pair!) and they fit well, look good and work well. Hard to complain about that.
Stephano likes this.

Last edited by KiwiDuke; 04-26-2019 at 04:22 AM.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 04:57 PM
J D

Eye In The Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiDuke View Post
I spend where I think I need to. A radiator guard is not a very technical piece of equipment. Powder coated stamped alloy. Very easy to get right and not very expensive to produce. Not very much that can go wrong with it either. Mechanical things on the other hand...not so much trust in the cheap Chinese reproductions.
Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with people spending money on the "best" piece of kit but not being made of money, sometimes I think you can get a lot better value from something that doesn't have the fancy brand name on it. I have owned a lot of parts bought off sites like Ali Express and I haven't had any issues (yet). My radiator guard cost less than half of a R&G guard but looks good and does the job it was designed to do. No sign of it failing yet.
I recently bought a pair of bar end mirrors for $14 US delivered (yes, a pair!) and they fit well, look good and work well. Hard to complain about that.

You prolly can't go wrong with a simple, non-mechanically oriented part such as a radiator guard. I would agree that higher-tech parts are best left to quality brand names.

That's also the wonderful thing about all of us reviewing products here on this site.
Chic likes this.

Forum Admin. Life goes by faster than a summer vacation.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page