Shorty lever recommendations? - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 8Likes

post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Shorty lever recommendations?

I want some black and orange shorty levers. The hard parts ones are $300

I like the look of the Puig 2.0. They're about $200 for adapters and levers.

I'm scared to try the knock off Chinese ones, unless someone can recommend a specific brand and it fit properly.
post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 05:20 PM
dma

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimm View Post
I want some black and orange shorty levers. The hard parts ones are $300

I like the look of the Puig 2.0. They're about $200 for adapters and levers.

I'm scared to try the knock off Chinese ones, unless someone can recommend a specific brand and it fit properly.
I fitted the KTM Power Part ones and really like them - you can see the difference between them and the OEM ones here

They are expensive though - think they should be half the price really - but what a difference they make!
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Nice. I think I'm going to try the Puig's and see how they go. $200 is better than $300. I don't need adjustable length, I never use more than 2 fingers on the clutch or brake. If I can get the clutch lever to stop hitting the knuckles of my pinky and ring finger, I win.
barbagris likes this.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 06:41 PM

Garage
I got Chinese cheap ones from “automotoparts” 27.99 !!
They are actually heavier than stock ones, but I have had no problem with them at all. Fitted without any adjustments & work well.

This is the second bike I have used Chinese levers on without issue.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 03:12 AM
Road to Victory

Garage
Quote:
Nice. I think I'm going to try the Puig's and see how they go. $200 is better than $300. I don't need adjustable length, I never use more than 2 fingers on the clutch or brake. If I can get the clutch lever to stop hitting the knuckles of my pinky and ring finger, I win.
I will personally be VERY VERY interested in seeing how you get on - Pictures would be nice.

I have deformed and small hands so would like to have levers I can reach that do not end up crushing my pinkies.

I bought a set of Chinese aftermarkets off Amazon. They are barely shorter than the OEM ones. Not a great fit - though imo the KTM system of pin means that levers require hand shimming or use of a tensioned (wavy) shim washer anyway. And imo not as comfy as the OEM's.

I do not want adjustable length or foldy-uppy levers either.

The pictures on PUIG's site would suggest they are more dainty.

On the Clutch side there is the RokBagaros short clutch lever setup too. But then I'd want to do a Brembo brake and........., and......... - I'd need a divorce and they're really expensive.

Small steps - Day by Day.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 01:21 PM
The 'other' Long Islander..

Garage
Also very interested in this, I really like shorty levers! Still waiting for ASV to make a set....

2019 KTM Duke 790
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 05:17 PM
QCS

Super-Moderator

A few threads that discuss this, on the forum.

Bottom line for me is that all the ones I tried did not feel better than the stock. OEM levers are well angled, easily adjustable and very solid. They are, indeed, long. I tried a few shorty, folding sets and ended up going back to the OEM.

I ride because my wife says it keeps me young and is better than if I get a girlfriend...
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 04:12 AM
Road to Victory

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCS View Post
OEM levers are well angled, easily adjustable and very solid. They are, indeed, long.
Honestly - apart from the length the OEM are (for my hands) spot on. So far not found any used ones on Ebay though. Otherwise I'd get a set and shorten them (with a new ball end). In theory we have to have the original length to pass the MoT tests so I'm not willing to cut the originals. New about 60 each. About the same as the PUIG shorties here.

I did try moving the perches inwards yesterday: made no real difference, but if anything makes it worse.

Interesting Note. On the PUIG web you can see well how their folders fit - It looks like and R&D shot using a 790 and the special adapter looks like a 3D printed piece.

Small steps - Day by Day.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLantern View Post
Also very interested in this, I really like shorty levers! Still waiting for ASV to make a set....
I put ASV's on a KTM 690 SMC. The metal "pill" that goes between the lever and the master was too long. I got about a mile down the road and didn't realize the brake was dragging. It go so hot the caliper locked down on the rotor. I nearly crashed. I had to grind down the metal pill enough to get it to have some free play. So be careful when you fit aftermarket levers.
colombo likes this.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 03:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
I put ASV's on a KTM 690 SMC. The metal "pill" that goes between the lever and the master was too long. I got about a mile down the road and didn't realize the brake was dragging. It go so hot the caliper locked down on the rotor. I nearly crashed. I had to grind down the metal pill enough to get it to have some free play. So be careful when you fit aftermarket levers.
Same thing happened to me on my dirt bike. I washed out the front end twice before realizing the front brake was dragging slightly. Just chucked the levers and went back to stock.

2019 KTM Duke 790
2015 Ducati Monster 821
2002 Honda XR400R

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page