Tail bags for passenger seat? - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 26Likes

post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Tail bags for passenger seat?

What's the best small/mid size tail bag for the duke? I want to carry my rain gear and other small items.

Ogio Stealth? KTM small tail bag? The larger KTM tail bag says it doesn't work with stock exhaust???
post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 09:13 PM

Check out this post. I have the same bag and there's no problem with the 2019 stock exhaust.

https://www.790dukeforum.com/forum/7...ml#/topics/288
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 03:57 PM
J D

Eye In The Sky

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimm View Post
What's the best small/mid size tail bag for the duke? I want to carry my rain gear and other small items.

Ogio Stealth? KTM small tail bag? The larger KTM tail bag says it doesn't work with stock exhaust???
All good moves, as long as you're keeping your 'zorst stock, as nearly no one here has done...

Forum Admin.
post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

I went through my motorcycle gear bucket and found out I still have my Wolfman tail bag! Now to see if it get it to fit.
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J D View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimm View Post

All good moves, as long as you're keeping your 'zorst stock, as nearly no one here has done..
The mounting of the seat bag that I referenced wouldn't be impacted by a different exhaust. There may be others that are. 🙄
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 04:22 PM
J D

Eye In The Sky

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTJ View Post
The mounting of the seat bag that I referenced wouldn't be impacted by a different exhaust. There may be others that are. 🙄
Good intel!

Hey Zimm,

Since you're moving to Italia, don't forget to post up all the cool exhausts made from there.

Forum Admin.
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 11:11 PM

post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 02:51 AM
Road to Victory

Garage
Whilst expensive https://sw-motech.com/en/bike/KTM/79...2572042588.htm

They say you need their street rack too - But I guess that depends how resourceful you are. Advantage is it is a rucksack.

Small steps - Day by Day.
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 07:52 PM

Unfortunately there are bound to be issues with the mounting of any soft rear luggage on a high level side mounted exhaust *

Forget putting anything under the seat of a 790 ! Squeeze a disc lock in if you careful !poor design of under seat arrangement.

There is a rather nasty looking after-market heat shield available from R&G ? to deflect the hot gases away , this is an option.

Hard luggage as above thread is available but is expensive & bulky when using the bike day to day .

KTM akrapovic fitting means you can have neither so further limit on your options .

Why not try a givi front fuel tank direct mounting bag ? This is what I use from day to day ,a small 5 litre bag & use a bigger 35 for carrying more on longer trips .

Best thing is they are secured directly to tank & don't use scratch magnets & of course you can't lose sight of it ..no problem so far.

Additionally i use a full waterproof 35 litre Oxford bag mounted on rear with a few additional tie down straps for security ( avoiding exhaust gas of course)

Rucksack can be worn as well , but riding on long journeys limits the Fun factor of the 790 when road conditions allow .

But overall the 790 Duke I find more road/track focused & feel the adventure bike would be a better bet for touring .

So anything luggage wise will always be a compromise ...
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 08:42 PM

Garage
Yep, that's the one! Had it on mine since last March and have nothing but praise for the quality. Price is amazing value. Going on a road trip next month. It has lots of points for straps so will tie a 10 litre yachting dry bag to the top of it with Rok straps and have a back pack. Sorted!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0241.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	263.9 KB
ID:	3232   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flaxmill Bay.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	419.8 KB
ID:	3234  
owl, J D and colombo like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version