Tail bags for passenger seat? - Page 5 - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 26Likes

post #41 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 10:15 AM
Road to Victory

Garage
Here you go. It's not a great piccie, sorry. But you can just get at the key. In fact I clip the key to the bag so I can't forget either when I get off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BBZSIDE.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	633.7 KB
ID:	3270  
dma likes this.

Small steps - Day by Day.
post #42 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 10:20 AM
dma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep View Post
I have a tank ring on mine also, with a Bags Connection tank bag mounted to it. I have also ran Kriegaís on the rear seat as in the photo below. When I owned a Street Triple thatís how I traveled. Iíve not done any longer rides on the Duke and, honestly, have been thinking of selling it because I have other bikes and a few health issues the past two years have really impacted my riding. But...Iím starting to rethink that idea now. If I keep it, I will add the KTM panniers.

I know we are talking luggage, but on a somewhat travel related question: anyone mounted handguards on their 790? I like them for weather protection. Thanks.
Nice solution @Shep - great minds and all that!

Sorry to hear about your health issues affecting your riding - hope you get to ride more this year.

It's not quite as toasty as the all-weather solution @barbagris has but I did fit some SW-Motech KOBRA handguards with the extensions just before Christmas.

My test rides were in <10ļC weather and there was still a little chill on my hands with the standard guards (I was riding in summer gloves) so I added the small extension set too. They attach with a few self-tapping screws so are easily removed.

The angles of the KOBRAs match the style of the Duke front end and blend in really well with my fake-carbon wrapped PP screen.

I don't have photos right now as the bike is covered in the back of the garage due to some building work going on here - will grab some next time I can.
barbagris likes this.
post #43 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 10:23 AM
dma

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbagris View Post
Here you go. It's not a great piccie, sorry. But you can just get at the key. In fact I clip the key to the bag so I can't forget either when I get off.
Looks like a great fit good - those engine bars look great too.
post #44 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 12:36 PM
Road to Victory

Garage
FYI - I have been out recently in 5įC and lower (near a river) and I can ride happily in summer gloves ( KNOX-COVERT ). Obviously more toasty in lined gloves.

With the BBZ I have ridden the R3 for hours non-stop in torrential rain/sleet at 90mph-ish and my hands were dry. it was so cold that I had my jaw clenched and cracked a tooth. Only discovered when I arrived home and thawed out a bit. But my hands were fine.

Engine Bars are Givi.

Small steps - Day by Day.
post #45 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-03-2020, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

I have the SW motech cargo rack installed. That lowered the bag by about an inch and gave me anchor points for the straps. I have the $30 Motocentric bag, and I sprayed the logo with fabric dye to make it black. The size and shape is nearly perfect for the bike. However I like to have really nice stuff, so I'm still on the hunt for a higher quality bag. The moto works, but being a cheap bag it doesn't have a zipper to keep it short, it relies on three straps so it's a little floppy. Also I have to keep pushing it back with my ass as it creeps into my cockpit space.

I really want the SW Match Ion 7-15l bag, but it's just dang pricey right now. I'm exploring $100 options.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	All Photos - 1 of 1.jpeg
Views:	17
Size:	338.1 KB
ID:	3578  
post #46 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-03-2020, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Has anyone tried the low profile duke 1290 bag? https://www.ktm-parts.com/61312978000.html
post #47 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-03-2020, 09:58 AM

[QUOTE=I really want the SW Match Ion 7-15l bag, but it's just dang pricey right now. I'm exploring $100 options.[/QUOTE]

Maybe this one: https://www.nelsonrigg.com/motorcycl...er_lite-detail
EvansB2 likes this.
post #48 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-03-2020, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Well I spent all morning thinking and researching and decided to go with a SW motech EVO tank bag. Based off the idea earlier in the thread about the Givi tank ring, I found out the SW Motech EVO series has a tank ring made just for the cargo seat rack that I'm using. The holes are already there. Since I already have 2 large bags for trips, I think the smaller "day pack" at 12x8x6 inches will be my main stay bag for daily riding. If I need to leave the bike parked, I can pull the lanyard and the bag pops off. With the ring on there, I can always get a larger bag in the future. If I need to do a longer trip or be out at night, I can strap on the motocentric bag on top of the ring and have all the storage I need for the extra visor, etc.
L8-apex, EvansB2 and dma like this.
post #49 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-03-2020, 01:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimm View Post
I have the $30 Motocentric bag, ....... Also I have to keep pushing it back with my ass as it creeps into my cockpit space.
The Motocentric bag doesn't creep forward if you loop the rear strap over the solid rail at the back. Ive had mine for a year with no problem at all. Also just completed a 2000 km short tour with a 10 litre yachting dry bag held on top of it with Rok straps. It worked really well.
zimm likes this.
post #50 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-04-2020, 04:39 PM
The 'other' Long Islander..

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
The Motocentric bag doesn't creep forward if you loop the rear strap over the solid rail at the back. Ive had mine for a year with no problem at all. Also just completed a 2000 km short tour with a 10 litre yachting dry bag held on top of it with Rok straps. It worked really well.
Have any pics?

2019 KTM Duke 790

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page