Crash Bars - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 11Likes

post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Crash Bars

OK - Thing is that whilst engine mounted sliders and "pucks" may well be fine. I'm old fashioned.

So I thought I'd upload what I can find (others can add if they know different options)

R&G

I think it still needs case sliders. And I do not like the lower front connection

SW-Motech

Again it needs case sliders.

Hepco&Becker

On the whole - good. Though I am a bit worried about the L-R connection under the throttle bodies.

Givi

Honestly I am having a hard time finding anything I don't like. I think I'd end up adding a puck like the H&B but......

RDMoto

This looks VERY solid. I also like the High mounted Puck (there are other models that offer more protection). This must also be a tank saver. The downside is the R/H side lower frame mount (coolant hose off).

Honestly I am undecided. Anybody seen anything else?. Also seen a load of Sliders that fit onto crash bars. Almost certainly would add some. I'm going to get a set for my old Guzzi anyway.

Thoughts/comments welcome.
J D likes this.

Small steps - Day by Day.

Last edited by barbagris; 10-20-2019 at 07:25 AM.
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 11:12 AM
dma

I pretty much agree with your thoughts on all of them @barbagris - I have looked at them all and spotted the things you call out.

The top ones I discounted for pretty much the same reasons, they seem a bit flimsy in places, almost unfinished, offer limited support in certain areas.

The RDMoto ones do look the most solid with 4 supports on each side - they remind me of the kind of things you see on stunt bikes, in a good way!

The Givi ones are a close second though, 3 supports on each side and look a bit easier to fit to me.

With either of those it's hard to know how the ergos would be when sat on the bike though, things like leg/knee clearance with the higher parts, and boot clearancees on the foot controls below.

I do like the idea of them though, and they would offer places to attach other things like sliders / camera and lights.

I think I'm secretly waiting for someone to bite the bullet and give an honest review.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 10:26 PM
rft

After a very slow (2kph) lay down on the road I found that the clutch lever bends, the rear footrest makes an excellent and strong crash bar, the bars and forks twist, front footpeg hits, gear lever bends and the bodywork hits at the projection just about level with the fuel opening.
So finding out that a set of crash bars is about 2/3 of the price of the front bodywork I bought some H&B bars.
Pretty simple to fit provided you fit the correct spacers in the right position, the rear join under the throttle bodies required a bit of massaging for me (pretty normal) but overall an excellent fit.
I wear BIG boots and find there is enough room for brake and clutch operation but my shin sometimes just barely touches the lhs bar.
There is some vibration in the crash bars in the lower gears but this smooths out in 6th from about 90 kph, the vibration doesn't seem to add to overall bike vibration.
Overall they look very protective, are nice and slim, dont add vibration to the bike and are simple to fit (you need a torque wrench).
Chic likes this.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 01:39 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rft View Post
After a very slow (2kph) lay down on the road I found that the clutch lever bends, the rear footrest makes an excellent and strong crash bar, the bars and forks twist, front footpeg hits, gear lever bends and the bodywork hits at the projection just about level with the fuel opening.
This is good feedback, thanks. It is actually this type of "off" that most worries me. If it's a "serious" off - I'll have other worries.

The last bike I dropped was in the garage (a good 10 years ago) - my trouser cuff caught on the foot peg when putting the side-stand down. Lost my balance - bike fell on me - Broke my wrist.

With the H&B on - have you since laid the bike over (in the garage) to see what would have been saved?

The tank projection is where I think the RDmoto will really score. But so far the price is seriously jacked up with postal costs from every supplier I can find. The Givi on the other hand is widely available and can be found in Italy VERY CHEAP.

I have wondered about a folding gear/brake lever tip. A bit surprised that, with KTM's off road heritage, that this is not an option.

Lever protection or folding levers?. Another conundrum!.

Things twisting is better than them snapping.

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 03:37 AM
rft

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbagris View Post

With the H&B on - have you since laid the bike over (in the garage) to see what would have been saved?

Nah, haven't laid it down to check, with my luck I would drop it. Although looking at it, to damage the tank the bike would have to roll

Actually the bike is really well designed with regards to crashing compared to other bikes I have owned.

One thing I forgot to mention, when I laid it over on the road it graunched the rear stand bobbins, I think rear axle crash protection would be wise
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Although looking at it, to damage the tank the bike would have to roll
Sod's law says it will!.

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 04:30 PM
dma

Quote:
One thing I forgot to mention, when I laid it over on the road it graunched the rear stand bobbins, I think rear axle crash protection would be wise
Yea - I added front and rear axle bobbins as soon as I got the bike because they were dirt cheap & easy to fit and they compliment the bike I think. You don't really notice them.

After @barbagris suggestion I recently added the pillion seat sliders too - cheap too and will hopefully take the brunt if it goes over. The pillion seat hangers are great protection I think so won't be removing them.

I've only ever dropped a bike once, at a standstill - just overbalanced coming to a stop on a wrong camber and could not stop the inevitable slow fall-over where leg was too short to reach the far away ground. Grazed brake lever end and bust the plastic hand-guard cover but made a decent expensive hole in the plastic tank surround.

I'm not sure the price of the KTM plastics but those engine bars (H&B / Givi with a puck) could save that I reckon.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 06:50 PM

Super-Moderator

Garage
**** makes me think I should have went with crash bars. I am hoping that in the event of a slide, my sliders, bobbin protection (both front and back), rear foot pegs, and engine casings (along with the bar ends) will take most of the damage. I'd imagine that at least the frame sliders would catch the ground before the plastics did. I did lay it over to see but didn't rest it on the ground. I may have to now. It is rather heavier than I expected to pick it up from a complete lay down!

Keep the rubber side down!

R.I.P:
RT180
YZ125
R1
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dma View Post
Yea - I added front and rear axle bobbins as soon as I got the bike because they were dirt cheap & easy to fit and they compliment the bike I think. You don't really notice them.
Yup me too. And as my local dealer gives a 15% discount on KTM-PP they worked out really cheap.

The tank plastic IIRC is not stupid expensive. But the Tank itself - Oh boy!. Can't re-find the website I found before.

Last edited by barbagris; 10-22-2019 at 01:22 AM.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 11:42 AM

@rft unfortunately no, the rear axle protection didn't save the stand bobbin. At least not the factory one and not with my fall.
I was a bit faster than 2KPH when I went down and it tore away a chunk of the hole together with the bobbin.

I confirm the fork twists easily.
At least I hope it is just a twist and not something worse.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page