Wind Screen & Sasquatch - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Super-Moderator

Garage
Wind Screen & Sasquatch

So you guys with screens.....you TALL guys with screens.....

I am anxiously awaiting my Ermax sport screen to come in, and just thought of something. My melon sits right over the display when I tuck down at speeds. Do any of you find that your helmet comes into contact with the screen at all? I know unless you are running a Bat sized screen, you are still going to find the wind in the shoulders to head area, but in a tuck, I would imagine with a sport screen (MRA, Ermax, reg Puig, KTM regular, etc) the wind would go right over your head. Screen/helmet issues? Visibility issues with the immediate road surface in front?

I guess my questions are time late since I already ordered it and will find out first hand in a month or two....

Keep the rubber side down!

R.I.P:
RT180
YZ125
R1
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 04:11 PM

Garage
I'm only 5'8" in old money but still have a couple of observations. I love the Ermax sport screen which I've had on since March. At reasonably legal highway speeds, it has shifted the wind blast to up around the shoulders and helmet. On a track day, I'd say that it would be a real advantage. The disadvantage for me seems to be bugs! I have no hard evidence but the Ermax screen seems to accellerate the airfow and fire more bugs into my visor at "buggy" times of the year than without it. It's not a major pain though.

The other thing which has been well documented is the amount of headlight reflection on the inner surface of the screen at night. This IS a major distraction. The soulutions which have been previously documented work just fine.

In summary, I bought the Ermax because I thought the shape improved the front end of the bike, so any tangible advantages were a bonus. Enjoy!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Super-Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
I'm only 5'8" in old money but still have a couple of observations. I love the Ermax sport screen which I've had on since March. At reasonably legal highway speeds, it has shifted the wind blast to up around the shoulders and helmet. On a track day, I'd say that it would be a real advantage. The disadvantage for me seems to be bugs! I have no hard evidence but the Ermax screen seems to accellerate the airfow and fire more bugs into my visor at "buggy" times of the year than without it. It's not a major pain though.

The other thing which has been well documented is the amount of headlight reflection on the inner surface of the screen at night. This IS a major distraction. The soulutions which have been previously documented work just fine.

In summary, I bought the Ermax because I thought the shape improved the front end of the bike, so any tangible advantages were a bonus. Enjoy!
Hahaha, although I wouldn't classify you as a Sasquatch, I was hoping you would add your views since you pretty recently put the same screen on. So, thank you for that! I didn't think about the bugs, but like you said, not a big deal. I do intend to do your headlight reflection nullification project. I agree with the look of the screen which is why I waited for the availability. If it deflects wind up to your shoulders, I am sure I will feel it in the same spot, I just hope I can still tuck enough to get my head out of the wind. I am sure it will help nonetheless on the commute.

Keep the rubber side down!

R.I.P:
RT180
YZ125
R1

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page