Rear set options for knee issues - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Chic
  • 1 Post By MGL
  • 1 Post By Chic
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Rear set options for knee issues

Gents, I remember some of you guys saying your knees were hurting. Well, my left knee seems to be bothering me more, but I can't pin it on the sitting position. However, I was looking at the rear set options and it seems they are all adjustable up and back. I would think I want them to be able to be adjusted down. What did you guys do to help alleviate knee issues with regards to the rear sets? Does a higher seat help also?
J D likes this.

Keep the rubber side down!

R.I.P:
RT180
YZ125
R1
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 02:30 PM

Probably the ergo seat + 20 mm may help your knee. I question myself on it it doesn't look great on the bike imo...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 06:55 PM

I too am in the bad knee brigade so I am always looking for something to make things a bit easier for my left knee.

I did see this recently on Rizoma’s 790 bits :

Dedicated product line created by Rizoma -

Not cheap but they look nicely made in matching black and would drop the rider foot pegs a bit.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Bugz, I had something similar to this on my R1 and I loved it. I need to do more research on different ways to adjust the rear sets. I'm guessing that these could pretty much pop in and you don't have to change out everything.

On the ergo seat, after reading reviews, the +20 pretty much keeps you at the same height, it just is more comfy from what I understand.

R.I.P:
RT180
YZ125
R1
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 03:38 PM

Garage
Could I ask if you guys who are suffering have long legs? I have damage to both knees from old sporting injuries. The reason I ask is that although I'm only 5' 8" in old money, I used to get uncomfortable after a couple of hundred km on my Street Triple. My GSX-S 1000 was worse to the point where I fitted modified Buell pegs to get relief. They dropped the pegs by 20mm and moved them rearward slightly - totally fixed the problem. On the KTM, I'm perfectly comfortable on a long haul which came as a surprise.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 10:16 AM
MGL

I'm 193cm 104kg (6'4'' 230lb) and have some issues with patella tendon. I have the ergo +20mm seat. It helps a little, but it's more about comfort of the butt than legs. The biggest help is sitting further back. Doesn't cost anything so try it.
I tried lowered footpegs (the cheap ones, not the full rear set), but that messes the angle of feet to change gears which adds to muscle tension. Also, KTM tends to have different seating triangle than most bikes, almost motard style - footpegs are lower and almost exactly under the seat, so if lowered even more it makes them more easy to catch on things when leaning the bike. Luckily never happened while riding but definitely when maneuvering the bike into the shed. You may have a different experience, but for me it was annoying.
Adding an extra cushion, eg airhawk, seems to work a lot better. The downside is then you lean forward more, and it was not comfortable for my back and wrists - handlebar risers and adjusting angle of levers fixed that. Overall I would say cushion and risers is way to go, especially if you can set it up so it encourages you to sit further back rather than slipping onto the fuel tank.
My 0.02$
Geoff likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGL View Post
I'm 193cm 104kg (6'4'' 230lb) and have some issues with patella tendon. I have the ergo +20mm seat. It helps a little, but it's more about comfort of the butt than legs. The biggest help is sitting further back. Doesn't cost anything so try it.
I tried lowered footpegs (the cheap ones, not the full rear set), but that messes the angle of feet to change gears which adds to muscle tension. Also, KTM tends to have different seating triangle than most bikes, almost motard style - footpegs are lower and almost exactly under the seat, so if lowered even more it makes them more easy to catch on things when leaning the bike. Luckily never happened while riding but definitely when maneuvering the bike into the shed. You may have a different experience, but for me it was annoying.
Adding an extra cushion, eg airhawk, seems to work a lot better. The downside is then you lean forward more, and it was not comfortable for my back and wrists - handlebar risers and adjusting angle of levers fixed that. Overall I would say cushion and risers is way to go, especially if you can set it up so it encourages you to sit further back rather than slipping onto the fuel tank.
My 0.02$

For lower feet it is possible to adjust the gear selector rod with by adjusting two nuts. Idem for the Brake pedal.
Too much riders never touch the original setings : Handlebar more comfortable when pulled towards the driver, brake pedal, selector rod, rear shock, brake and clutch lever gap and angle.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Unread Today, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
Could I ask if you guys who are suffering have long legs? I have damage to both knees from old sporting injuries. The reason I ask is that although I'm only 5' 8" in old money, I used to get uncomfortable after a couple of hundred km on my Street Triple. My GSX-S 1000 was worse to the point where I fitted modified Buell pegs to get relief. They dropped the pegs by 20mm and moved them rearward slightly - totally fixed the problem. On the KTM, I'm perfectly comfortable on a long haul which came as a surprise.

I'm 6'4" and I think my legs are longer than most, but not disproportional to my torso. I didn't have the issue on my R1, which is surprising considering my knees were bent more. I know the bike is a bit small for me, but for the most part it feels fine. I just noticed in the past few months my knee is getting worse, which of course could just be because I had another birthday a couple weeks ago! I was thinking that dropping the rears would help extend my leg a bit, but I am not even sure that would help in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGL View Post
My 0.02$

I can see the pegs scraping on the pavement if you lower them. I actually scraped pegs on a bike one time and it scared the junk out of me. I do really like the ergos on the 790. I am planning on moving the bars forward this weekend to assist a bit with my posture and long arms. The seat is not the most comfy, but I do tend to sit back in it and hug the tank with my thighs. I also put my feet more forward on the pegs when I am cruising, which helps a lot. I feel like all the up and back rear sets will make it more like a sportbike set up though without the forward lean angle which to me defeats the whole purpose of why I went with a naked sportbike. Anyway, I guess I need to play with the ergos more to see how to best adjust different parts of the bike for my liking or go get my knee replaced!
Geoff likes this.

R.I.P:
RT180
YZ125
R1

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page