790 Duke Tires master thread - Page 3 - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 13Likes

post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 09:53 PM
J D

Eye In The Sky

Garage
There are quite a few tire responses in other tire threads, as well as in the "What do you do with your 790D today" plus off-topic thread, (I perused the 19 pages there, and copied the tire posts over here).

I'll look into condensing more posts into this thread, so like the exhaust thread, it's all in one place.

What tires do you like? Which have you used that worked the best for you on street, as well as track?

I know there are a handful of solid brands out there, so I will only mention that I've done a lot of product testing, (grin), with Michelin pilot power 2CT's. They work wonderful for street, a nice wearing center, as well as a dual compound outer half inch, which is a softer compound to provide more grip, when you teetering towards your knee and elbow against the tarmac.

After extensive testing with the Mich Road 4's, (now Road 5's), I'd prefer these for the street, as they provide excellent grip/wet weather, super longer lasting tread, and the same dual compound with the outer/softer/grippier edge, (2CT).

Personally, I never have used street tires on the track, it seems to work for many people, but I've only used race tires, (Michelin), for track days, as well as racing, and full wets, (for rain racing).

Forum Admin.
post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 01:54 AM
Road to Victory

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by J D View Post
After extensive testing with the Mich Road 4's, (now Road 5's), I'd prefer these for the street, as they provide excellent grip/wet weather, super longer lasting tread, and the same dual compound with the outer/softer/grippier edge, (2CT).
My only concern with the Road5 is (based on current but fairly limited experience on the behemoth) that sometimes - in the wet - I wish there was a little more feedback. I worry that they wont give early advise of traction loss. I don't ride near the limits of tyres anyway - but ....................

Small steps - Day by Day.
post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 02:25 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbagris View Post
My only concern with the Road5 is (based on current but fairly limited experience on the behemoth) that sometimes - in the wet - I wish there was a little more feedback. I worry that they wont give early advise of traction loss. I don't ride near the limits of tyres anyway - but ....................
Apparently, the R5 carcass is designed to flex a bit more than some of its competitors to increase the footprint at bigger lean angles. I don't know whether this equates to a weaker carcass but I had 3 punctures in 4 months with Road 5's on my GSX-S 1000. It might have been due to sheer bad luck or the type of roads I rode on but it made me gun-shy about fitting them to the 790. A pity as I thought that they were great tyres in all conditions with a rapid tip-in. I may yet try them on the 790 just out of curiosity but for now, the Bridgestone T31's deliver the goods in all conditions. I'll do a proper evaluation when I get back from our road trip starting in a couple of weeks.
post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 07:10 PM

I recently switched from the OEM Maxxis (only lasted 6000 km) to Road 5. Much better tyres for the riding l do. They feel very much like the PR3 and PR4 l had for the last ten years. Great tyres imo
J D likes this.
post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 07:27 PM
SuperDuker

S22, brillian on the road and perfect for medium-fast track day riders, good milage too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1441.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	3372  
J D likes this.
post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 12:34 PM

Garage
There is a lot more grip with a slick for the track day, they heat clearly average and also slower ...
For me the road tires, even the best, are made to be warm very quickly and withstand repeated braking and acceleration for track use, it usually ends up sliding from the rear to reacceleration ... On track I used slick Pirelli supercorsa SC2 tires.
On the road I stopped the tires which are only 2500 kms of life, so PR4, PR5 etc are very good.

The tires are in the head.

post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
QCS

Super-Moderator

A few questions:

1. How many of you replace tires DIY?
2. If you do, what are your favorite tools?
3. What are your thoughts about wheel weights vs. tire beads?

I ride because my wife says it keeps me young and is better than if I get a girlfriend...

Last edited by QCS; 02-08-2020 at 01:40 PM.
post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 05:54 PM
dma

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCS View Post
A few questions:

I've replaced quite a few on my trials and trail bikes over the years.

My favourite tools are the Rabaconda (Gen 4) I bought a couple of years ago along with their 5 piece pro tyre lever set.

It's not cheap but really easy to use and incredibly well made - it's really sturdy yet it packs compactly into a nice included storage bag.

Works for wheels 16" - 21" - recommended.

On the off-road bikes I've also drilled rims to installed Rim Locks (grips the tyre bead to avoid type rotation when running with low pressures) ... in trials you run with very low tyre pressures - typically 3-4 psi so these are kind of essential.

I once ran in an LDT (long distance trial) where the rear tyre rotated and tore the tube valve completely off the inner tube - that was fun riding back to the van, sat on the tank keeping the weight forward off the rear that was completely flat.

For balancing I just use the Rabaconda axle bolted into a vice and use stick on weights.
QCS likes this.
post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCS View Post
A few questions:

I use to do it ever since my first 83’ YZ with simple 3x spoon lever and an home made bill breaker. I use to do my first 2 road bike as well ( way stiffer!!! ). Now as I’m getting old I still do my Raptor ones but i wont touch my duke for sure, I’ll be paying. As for tire beads I know some guys using that on cars and they are really happy with it. I think that I may try it on my next tire change as I’m going to have wheel sticker and weight aren’t good looking on bike ( actually I’ve rode many years with no balancing at all and didn’t have any issue)
post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
QCS

Super-Moderator

Had beads on my ZX6-R and they worked like a charm. Was looking to see what experience you guys have.

I ride because my wife says it keeps me young and is better than if I get a girlfriend...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page