Michelin Road 5 - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 7Likes

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
owl

Super-Moderator

Garage
Michelin Road 5

Finally picked up my bike this week as it’s been stuck with the dealer for a few weeks whilst they completed first year service and fixed an ongoing coolant leak, apparently took some time as they were waiting on parts.

Fortunately they gave me a loan bike which was their demo MT07 - I’ll try write up a comparison review over the weekend.

I decided whilst they had the bike may as well switch out the Maxxis as they had squared off after 5000 miles and were beginning to affect the handling. I ride year round I needed a decent Sport Touring tyre, my last bike Street Triple had Metzler Roadtec 01 which were fantastic and also lasted about 5k. Having used Pilot Roads in the past I decided to go back to Michelin with their new Road 5 and give it a try.

First impressions, 30 mile trip back from the dealer took it easy at first to scrub them in, but got caught in a pocket of heavy downpour about halfway back. As expected they didn’t skip a beat, perfectly comfortable in the wet and overall feels like a new bike again.

So far fantastic, have had a mix of wet and dry this week and it’s been great. It’s been a bit cooler, but nowhere near as cold as it will be in a few months, so will be interested to see how they perform when it starts getting down to lower single digits (C) but I expect they will be just as good as the old PR’s. They also look pretty good on the bike.

Fingers crossed I don’t find another nail like the last time I had a new set fitted

Anyone else running these? What’s your thoughts?

Observation is the greatest source of wisdom.
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 06:18 PM
Pgm

Garage
Had these on the last one, no complaints and theyíd kept their profile really well for 2k miles before the accident.
Will use the same again once the bike is run in.
J D likes this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 02:28 AM

Garage
Road 5 - more sport tyre when you need it!

Fitted R5ís to my Multi after running PP2/3ís and blown away by how much grip and feel they give. I canít stop grinding away the foot Pegs! They are every bit as good as the sports tyres Iíve been using (on road) and Iím hoping that theyíll last longer but only have about 2k on them so far but still looking good. The PP3 rear was toast after about 2.5k!
Of course if you plan to do tracks too then youíll need a dedicated sports tyre up to the job such as the Power RS which is supposedly a great performer.

Booney
J D likes this.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 03:01 AM

Running PR5's on both my Multistrada and my 1290GT, (Great fast touring tire) but I'm running Bridgestone S22 on my 790, i prefer the added grip pf the S22 for balls out riding and track days.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 08:01 PM

Garage
Just bought a set of Road 5's for the 790. Tires seem like they would be the best for my kind of riding. Dual compound so it'll last longer on the middle of the tire where I tend to flat spot (thanks NJ roads) yet are pretty much a slick on the edge of the tire. Loved the PP3's I had on my old 636.

2019 KTM 790 Duke
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 09:30 PM
J D

Eye In The Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj790duke View Post
Just bought a set of Road 5's for the 790. Tires seem like they would be the best for my kind of riding. Dual compound so it'll last longer on the middle of the tire where I tend to flat spot (thanks NJ roads) yet are pretty much a slick on the edge of the tire. Loved the PP3's I had on my old 636.
Well, being I can get near 10,000 miles on my heavyweight ZX-14R, I'm thinking they will really go the distance on the 790D.
dj790duke likes this.

Forum Admin. Life goes by faster than a summer vacation.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 02:50 AM

On both my Multistrada and 1290GT i got just on 6000kms on the front PR5, rears have around 1500kms left, I've decided to stick with PR5s on the Multistrada, its my 2up bike so fitted a new front, but on my 1290GT, my fast touring bike with mates I've just brought a set of Conti Road Attacks, never ridden on Conti's so be great to hear from anyone thats tried them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1058.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	2082  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 05:07 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNZ View Post
On both my Multistrada and 1290GT i got just on 6000kms on the front PR5, rears have around 1500kms left, I've decided to stick with PR5s on the Multistrada, its my 2up bike so fitted a new front, but on my 1290GT, my fast touring bike with mates I've just brought a set of Conti Road Attacks, never ridden on Conti's so be great to hear from anyone thats tried them.
One of my mates with a 1290 GT is on his second set of Road Attacks, having previously had Road 5's. He much prefers the Attacks in terms of both handling and life on that bike.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
One of my mates with a 1290 GT is on his second set of Road Attacks, having previously had Road 5's. He much prefers the Attacks in terms of both handling and life on that bike.
When hunting for a set of tires at Boyds, and thinking il get another set of PR5s, the guy there said a few of the 1290GT guys like the Conti's better over the 5s, so i grabbed a set for the GT. But they were $80 dearer. Prob fit them in a few weeks once the 5s front is totally done. Looking forward to trying them, no scrubbing in like the 5s, ready push out of the block.
Geoff likes this.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 05:44 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNZ View Post
When hunting for a set of tires at Boyds, and thinking il get another set of PR5s, the guy there said a few of the 1290GT guys like the Conti's better over the 5s, so i grabbed a set for the GT. But they were $80 dearer. Prob fit them in a few weeks once the 5s front is totally done. Looking forward to trying them, no scrubbing in like the 5s, ready push out of the block.
Hope you enjoy them. My mate Steve with the 1290 gets his bike serviced and tyres fitted at Boyds. I'll be there in a few days buying a summer mesh jacket

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page