9Likes
  • 6 Post By EvansB2
  • 1 Post By GLantern
  • 1 Post By QCS
  • 1 Post By EvansB2

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
VIP Member

WP Apex Pro Suspension Review

I just posted this on a Motorcycle.com. Enjoy.

https://www.motorcycle.com/products/...and-6746-shock

TLDR: I like the upgrade.
DaveNZ, J D, QCS and 3 others like this.
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 06:33 PM
dma

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvansB2 View Post

Great review @EvansB2 - and a great insight into the difference between stock OEM and the WP Apex Pro kit - pricey, but maybe worth it for those who ride the bumpier roads.

I miss having an easier rear preload adjustment on the rear of the 790 having experience a super easy hand-wheel adjustment on one of my other bikes. I think the OEM 790 suspensions is a slightly too stiff for my (light) weight.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 03:01 AM
SuperDuker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dma View Post
Great review @EvansB2 - and a great insight into the difference between stock OEM and the WP Apex Pro kit - pricey, but maybe worth it for those who ride the bumpier roads.

I miss having an easier rear preload adjustment on the rear of the 790 having experience a super easy hand-wheel adjustment on one of my other bikes. I think the OEM 790 suspensions is a slightly too stiff for my (light) weight.
Mate - Being in the UK and in the middle bit too - you might do better by going to see Maxton. I have never regretted fitting Maxton Fork Innards to my R3. And had I not already invested in different rear shocks prior to doing the forks - I would have ordered them from Maxton too.

I have always found I need to back off rebound about 1/2 turn and compression maybe 1/4 on every "supplied to spec" suspension I have purchased. Rears I usually only need to back off compression a bit. I'm mid 80 kgs - it varies. And I'll admit - as I age - comfort matters more.

Small steps - Day by Day.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 05:00 PM
The 'other' Long Islander..

Garage
Great article thank you! Really nice to see the mention of maintenance there too, it was something I hadn't considered with new suspension parts. I cannot wait to get these installed over the winter.
EvansB2 likes this.

2019 KTM Duke 790
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 05:41 PM
QCS

Super-Moderator

Good write-up. Thanks.

Price for the WP is not that far off from the Ohlins+Andreani. Ohlins+Ohlins is a bit more expensive. I wonder how they all compare.
EvansB2 likes this.

I ride because my wife says it keeps me young and is better than if I get a girlfriend...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 06:08 PM
dma

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvansB2 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbagris View Post
Mate - Being in the UK and in the middle bit too - you might do better by going to see Maxton. I have never regretted fitting Maxton Fork Innards to my R3. And had I not already invested in different rear shocks prior to doing the forks - I would have ordered them from Maxton too.

I have always found I need to back off rebound about 1/2 turn and compression maybe 1/4 on every "supplied to spec" suspension I have purchased. Rears I usually only need to back off compression a bit. I'm mid 80 kgs - it varies. And I'll admit - as I age - comfort matters more.
Yea, will look - the weather is grim for riding here at the moment - temperature dropped a lot (3C right now) it's wet and all the leaves are finally falling off the what-was-once greenery.

I hadn't been seriously considering upgrading this first season, just maintaining an interest and seeing what's available and what others are doing. I'm a lightweight though around 70Kg wet, and on some of the rougher roads round here the bike is a bit stiff for me sometimes. Age and comfort - I know where you are coming from!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 09:48 PM

Garage
Nice review! I had been looking into the WP Apex Pro for my 790 as a future upgrade but may hold off now that the 890 is on the horizon. I upgraded my MT07 with fully adjustable Ohlins cartridges and a remote reservoir Penske rear shock and the difference is amazing but that bike started off way worse stock than the 790.

Concerning the maintenance, I figure the forks would be easy enough to change the oil. I think I saw all the specs (oil weight and brand, air gap, etc) in the service manual somewhere. Not sure if the shock is serviceable or not though. I generally change suspension oil around every 8000 miles.

2019 KTM 790 Duke

Last edited by dj790duke; 11-08-2019 at 09:52 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
VIP Member

Because of the pressurized nitrogen, the shock is not user-serviceable. It'd have to go to a suspension center.
dj790duke likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page