Alternative Springs for the Fork and Shock? - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 6Likes

post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Alternative Springs for the Fork and Shock?

Has anyone found a source for alternative springs? I've checked the WP site, Racetech, and some others but haven't been able to find any. Maybe the bike is too new. Chris Fillmore got different springs for the Pikes Peak bike but that was a factory effort. I would like to try that option first before a new shock and fork inserts.

Additionally,does anyone have the shock spring's dimensions? If I had them, I could check the Eibach site.
joaoelvas likes this.
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTJ View Post
Has anyone found a source for alternative springs? I've checked the WP site, Racetech, and some others but haven't been able to find any. Maybe the bike is too new. Chris Fillmore got different springs for the Pikes Peak bike but that was a factory effort. I would like to try that option first before a new shock and fork inserts.

Additionally,does anyone have the shock spring's dimensions? If I had them, I could check the Eibach site.

Hey friend, here you have it:

- Front Fork:
APEX PRO 6500

- Rear Shock:
APEX PRO 6746

I did not installed it yet, but I hope to do it in the future, let me know what is your feedback if you install it.
J D likes this.

KTM 790 Duke, and saving to add a 1290 Adventure to the collection...
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 02:13 PM

Garage
Here is a newcomer for the rear shock : https://shock-factory.fr/fr/979-amor...-790-duke-2018
He worked before at EMC.
The Factory is in France, one hour from home. I hope that Santa Claus will think of me
J D likes this.

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 07:56 PM

^^^ Im wondering how the compression and especially the rebound will be effected by heavier weight springs. Luckerly the rebound on the WP shock isn't too fast, so there may be some scope for a slightly heavier spring. Im picking WP won't make a higher rate spring for the 790 for the fact it has no Comp and Reb control.....I see Ohlins make two shocks for the 790, one budget and one expensive, both can come with a custom spring for your weight.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joaoelvas View Post
Hey friend, here you have it:

- Front Fork:
APEX PRO 6500

- Rear Shock:
APEX PRO 6746

I did not installed it yet, but I hope to do it in the future, let me know what is your feedback if you install it.
Does anyone know how much for the front kit? i´d like to know if they are more expensive or cheaper than the Öhlins which i can get for 800 Eur.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 03:09 PM
dma

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothTownDuke View Post
Does anyone know how much for the front kit? i´d like to know if they are more expensive or cheaper than the Öhlins which i can get for 800 Eur.
I've found them here in the UK - https://www.gear4motorcycles.co.uk/p...790-duke-18-on

They are £830.80 though which seems expensive - I've had WP stuff in other bikes though and it is very good - not sure my fun budget will stretch that far at the moment.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 05:03 PM

You could also consider Wilburs Suspension.. I've been messaging with them about their front and rear spring options and they've been very helpful, forthcoming, and would seem to have a good product and be a proper company - like so many of the small engineering firms in Germany.

https://www.wilbers-shop.de/en/Motor...-640-Road.html

St3v13
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Well, what I can get from the KTM parts diagram is that the shock spring is 185 mm long and has a progressive rate of 130-160 n/mm. I haven't been able to find the inner or outer diameter. That seems to be a very stout spring - 160n/mm =913 lb/in.

I currently have the preload maxed out and would like the replacement spring to allow minimum preload.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma View Post
I've found them here in the UK - https://www.gear4motorcycles.co.uk/p...790-duke-18-on

They are £830.80 though which seems expensive - I've had WP stuff in other bikes though and it is very good - not sure my fun budget will stretch that far at the moment.
i get a runtime error clicking on the link but i´ll give it a go later today. thanks!
If Öhlins are cheaper then its a really easy choice for me
dma likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page