RCS 19 Installation - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 7Likes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
QCS

Super-Moderator

RCS 19 Installation

Following some of the other posts on the matter, I decided to pull the trigger on an eBay used Brembo RCS 19. The price was just too good to leave -- $180 including the reservoir. This is the original RCS and NOT the Corsa Corta. I believe that the install and results should not be different, though.

Arrived in 3 days and is really "as new". Couldn't have asked for more.

Reading the other posts around the forum I ordered the HEL 90 degree adpter, from here. Arrived in two days. No way to fit the current line to the Brembo without it (or replacing the line). Brembo and KTM banjo threads are both M10X1, so you should have all you need.

Work is pretty straight forward. Took a little bit of time, because I had to fabricate the reservoir bracket (from a piece of aluminum I got at Lowe's). Might spend some more $$ on a Sato or something. Not sure. My fabricated bracket cost about $1. all the brackets I saw online are $12-$30.

Some install insights:

1. Used the OEM banjo to connect the line to the adapter and the supplied short HEL banjo to connect the adapter to the M/C. Don't tighten to spec until everything is in place. Once the lever is where you want it to be, tighten, while holding the adapter and making sure it does not move. It helped making sure everything is routed properly.

2. The lever does not foul. It is close to the kill switch, though. Make sure you bleed well and get it nice and hard (need to do it anyway). If you do, there is plenty of room left. If you are touching something you probably need to bleed more.

3. With my wider bar the lines and wires are at the end of their available length. You will need to get some more slack released, if bar is even wider. For the OEM bar, there should be no problem.

4. You don't need the Brembo light switch. Just pop it off the M/C (or not install it) with a flat screwdriver and save for future use.

5. As always with brakes, take your time and don't rush. Make sure that everything is nice an tight and that there are no leaks. I use a torque wrench, but it can can also be easily done by hand (feel). Just make sure you are not stripping the threads by over tightening. It can get pretty costly, pretty quickly.

I am attaching some pics. If anyone wants me to take an additional picture showing any specific detail of the install, please let me know and I will.

I will provide riding impressions, separately.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190808_092654_s.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	1686   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190808_092705_s.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	1688   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190808_092629_s.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	1690   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190808_092642_s.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	1692  
EvansB2 and dj790duke like this.

I ride because my wife says it keeps me young and is better than if I get a girlfriend...
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 03:54 PM
J D

Eye In The Sky

Outstanding! I like your fabbed bracket just fine.

Forum Admin. Life goes by faster than a summer vacation.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
QCS

Super-Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J D View Post
Outstanding! I like your fabbed bracket just fine.
Thanks JD.

I ride because my wife says it keeps me young and is better than if I get a girlfriend...
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 06:37 PM

Good timing, I am going to fit the exactly the same tomorrow hopefully. Got a new one straight from Italy, and a Hel adaptor here in the UK.
Curious to know what torque setting did you go with ?, as the instructions state 23-26 Nm, except for non oxidised die cast
which are 17-20 Nm.
I think mine is the latter (?) so will go for 20 Nm, as like you say it could easily be stripped being cast Aluminium.
https://www.790dukeforum.com/forum/a...1&d=1565303827
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D9CB39AF-A897-4DB1-A21D-810822B529F0.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	1694  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
QCS

Super-Moderator

Saw a few numbers floating around. Ended up with 15 ft-lb/20.34 Nm. Basically mid-way. I will monitor for leaks. If I see anything I will add a couple of Nm.

BTW, started tightening by hand. When I put the wrench on it to check and torque to spec, it was exactly 15 ft-lb... LOL. I guess I am a sort of HTW -- Human Torque Wrench.
Bugz likes this.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 08:44 PM

Garage
Thanks for the tips and pictures! How does this MC feel compared to the stock cylinder? Been looking at this upgrade for the future.

2019 KTM 790 Duke
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
QCS

Super-Moderator

I still need to have a longer ride and will report over the weekend. At any rate, much firmer feel than the original, although it might be my religious bleeding process.
dj790duke likes this.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
QCS

Super-Moderator

After having the system rest for the night, spreading some pixie dust and whispering some voodoo enchantments, I bled the system again. Mainly because I really hated the spongy feel of the original system. Probably did not have to, but if it did not help it definitely did not hurt.

Initial riding impressions:

1. Much more braking power at the lever, even at the 20mm less aggressive setting on the RCS. The bike really stops on a dime.

2. Better braking feel and very consistent. Just what you would expect from a quality Brembo M/C. I had it on other bikes and I like the way it feels.

3. No worries that the lever might foul. The lever travel that is required in order to get serious braking force is pretty short. If you are getting the lever to the point it is touching something you probably have an installation problem -- either placement or, more probably, air in the system.

4. Seems like the 15 ft-lb torque was enough. No leaks for me.

It is a little difficult to separate this mod from the pad replacement that really did wonders to the front brakes. I will say again that if you have only $100 to spend on modding this bike then different pads are probably the best sub $100 investment you can make. I can't think of anything that will cost so little and make such a difference.

As far as the Brembo RCS M/C -- really nice, especially if you did not like the OEM lever feel, but not necessary. Has some BLING and personalization value as well.

At this point I am done modding the brakes. I have all the power, feel and consistency missing from the OEM setup. If the rotors go bad, I will change to the Galfers (standard or oversize). Until then I am pretty content.
J D and dj790duke like this.

Last edited by QCS; 08-09-2019 at 07:01 PM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 10:43 PM
J D

Eye In The Sky

Iím glad you like it as well. Iíve installed a few, and then reinstalled them on other bikes. Thinking about poaching this on off my VTR to mount on the 790..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	216541E1-ADA2-4F1B-AF3C-04598FED5F9E.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	1726   Click image for larger version

Name:	6C3C01AE-9EA9-4234-B039-DE1D9E53C76C.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	1728  

Forum Admin. Life goes by faster than a summer vacation.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
QCS

Super-Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J D View Post
Iím glad you like it as well. Iíve installed a few, and then reinstalled them on other bikes. Thinking about poaching this on off my VTR to mount on the 790..
And..........?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page