KTM PowerParts Wave Brake Discs Review - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 9Likes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
VIP Member

Thumbs up KTM PowerParts Wave Brake Discs Review

I've just posted my review of the PowerParts Galfer discs on Motorcycle.com.

Short version: I really like them.

https://www.motorcycle.com/products/...ve-brake-discs
Roger, J D, QCS and 2 others like this.
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 02:02 PM
J D

Eye In The Sky

Excellent review, now I have to go out and buy them! I appreciated you breaking down the (areas of), weight savings. Cool to know the turn-in feels quicker. What rubber are you running?

Forum Admin. Life goes by faster than a summer vacation.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
VIP Member

Right now, I'm running the new Pirelli Supercorsa TD tire that they just rolled out. When I'm done with them, I've got a set of partially used Michelin Power RS tires to put back on and run to the wear bars.
J D likes this.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 03:40 PM
QCS

Super-Moderator

Thanks Evans. Great read and lots of info.

Finding good, detailed info and trustworthy reviews online is not easy. It always helps to have a good source

I ride because my wife says it keeps me young and is better than if I get a girlfriend...
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 04:03 PM

Not having it for a second that you can notice. Not even a little bit.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
VIP Member

What do you mean?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 03:23 AM

I mean, I disagree that a rider at your level of skill is able to notice the weight effect on roads, I'm just not having it that it's anything more than a placebo effect and you wanting to notice.

Whilst I accept it's rotational and unsprung weight, I don't think anyone outside of top class racers could notice.

I went from stock discs to wave without noticing that's for sure.

My buddy also rode mine on track back to back with his stock 790, no difference in either bike. He's proper quick.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
VIP Member

You have good points. My notes in the review are the result less of feel and more of noting the side effect of slight oversteering initially until my body adapted. This occurred on a road I’ve been riding regularly since 1990. Oversteering at corner entry once is a mistake, several corners in a row is a trend. It was while thinking about this over a cup of coffee at the midway point of the ride that I decided that the issue was related to muscle memory and the lessened rotating mass.

I’m human. So, you’re right, there could be some placebo effect, but I believe that the symptoms I noted (which are now gone) were the result of the discs. Otherwise, I wouldn’t have put it in the review.

Thanks for calling me out. It’s made me think about what I published and how it could’ve been better. That’s always a good thing.
weeksy likes this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 10:47 AM

EvansB2 a brave and honest answer well done. I was watching with interest as Weeksy had made a valid challenge.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 11:19 AM
QCS

Super-Moderator

I would venture to assume that three (3!) lbs of rotating mass off the front wheel is significant enough to affect steering and can be felt by an experienced rider, riding two bikes back to back or on a road he/she is very familiar with.

The steering input points, effort and resulting lines (either under or over steer) are easily felt. I think attributing all of it to a placebo effect may be a mistake.

Riders who ride for a long time can get pretty in tune with the machines they are riding and can easily feel changes to the machine's behavior. It might be intentional mods, as well as things that go wrong, mechanical changes, strange noises, etc. Steering effort change is one of more easily felt, as far as my experience goes.

When making a change, I am always going to a road I am familiar with, riding at a similar pace and trying to feel how what I changed affected the bikes behavior. In most cases I can feel a difference. In some cases more than in others.

I ride because my wife says it keeps me young and is better than if I get a girlfriend...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page