Power Commander questions - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
QCS

Super-Moderator

Power Commander questions

I have seen some references to the PCV, especially around the Rottweiler Performance "offering". That said, I am not really clear on whether the PCV performs well on the D790, what works and what doesn't, whether engine warning light come on or not, etc.

I have see that DynoJet offers the PCV for the D790 on their site. Is this in any way different than the Rottweiler unit? Has anyone tried this with the offered map? Seems like stock with (Akra) slip-on. Is it any good?

I ride because my wife says it keeps me young and is better than if I get a girlfriend...
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 09:35 PM

Garage
They make a Power Commander for the 790 but it seems as though Dynojet doesn't really support their map for it. I've tried downloading the file but it always says "file not found". According to Rottweiler, the PC5 will work and tune the bike for everything besides the "closed loop" portion of the map as the stock o2 sensors will undo the changes in the map. Rottweiler solves this by offering o2 delete plugs. This eliminates the data from the o2 sensors preventing the ECU from trying to correct the ratio. However, doing this results in the check engine light. If you can live with the light being on, then the PC5 will tune just like it does on every other bike. Rottweiler has a few videos explaining all this. They also show power increases on a stock bike, open muffler, and decat with open muffler.

I'm currently working on a solution which hopefully results in no check engine light and utilizes the stock o2 sensors.
QCS likes this.

2019 KTM 790 Duke
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 12:10 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj790duke View Post
I'm currently working on a solution which hopefully results in no check engine light and utilizes the stock o2 sensors.
I am assuming the Stock O2 sensors are Narrow Band - Is that correct?

If so then I'd seriously look at a solution (albeit costly) that allows the use of Wide Band O2.

Where I live we have huge variations in temperature and altitude. Thankfully my main ride until recently is only Euro3 so that was easy to resolve. If I ride from my home (central Spain) to see my mum (coastal UK) - I suffer oxygen variations of 20%. I moved to WBO2 after one such ride - never looked back.

I hope you manage to get a handle on this - Euro5 I think will be even more of a challenge.

If this is for a track Bike - it's probably going to be just as easy to ditch the stock ECU and start from scratch.

Small steps - Day by Day.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
QCS

Super-Moderator

Quote:
They make a Power Commander for the 790 but it seems as though Dynojet doesn't really support their map for it. I've tried downloading the file but it always says "file not found". According to Rottweiler, the PC5 will work and tune the bike for everything besides the "closed loop" portion of the map as the stock o2 sensors will undo the changes in the map. Rottweiler solves this by offering o2 delete plugs. This eliminates the data from the o2 sensors preventing the ECU from trying to correct the ratio. However, doing this results in the check engine light. If you can live with the light being on, then the PC5 will tune just like it does on every other bike. Rottweiler has a few videos explaining all this. They also show power increases on a stock bike, open muffler, and decat with open muffler.

Thanks. Makes sense. I watched a few of the videos last night, after posting the question. Really wonder if it is worthwhile to install the PCV, Had great experience with PCIII on older bikes, but this whole ECU error message thing was much less important.

Although I love power gains, I am really looking for smooth power delivery.

I ride because my wife says it keeps me young and is better than if I get a girlfriend...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
QCS

Super-Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbagris View Post
I moved to WBO2 after one such ride - never looked back.
Can you elaborate on this?

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 09:21 AM

Garage
Quote:
I am assuming the Stock O2 sensors are Narrow Band - Is that correct?

If so then I'd seriously look at a solution (albeit costly) that allows the use of Wide Band O2.

Where I live we have huge variations in temperature and altitude. Thankfully my main ride until recently is only Euro3 so that was easy to resolve. If I ride from my home (central Spain) to see my mum (coastal UK) - I suffer oxygen variations of 20%. I moved to WBO2 after one such ride - never looked back.

I hope you manage to get a handle on this - Euro5 I think will be even more of a challenge.

If this is for a track Bike - it's probably going to be just as easy to ditch the stock ECU and start from scratch.
Yes, the factory O2 sensors are narrow-band. If my solution works out, I will keep the stock O2 sensors and add an extra wide-band O2 sensor downstream however, this will be optional and not needed to run the PC5 without the check engine light. My main goal is to have full tunability without the light.
barbagris likes this.

2019 KTM 790 Duke
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 09:33 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCS View Post
Thanks. Makes sense. I watched a few of the videos last night, after posting the question. Really wonder if it is worthwhile to install the PCV, Had great experience with PCIII on older bikes, but this whole ECU error message thing was much less important.

Although I love power gains, I am really looking for smooth power delivery.
I'm with ya. I'm not after huge power increases but I do like being able to smooth out the power and clean up any dips in the curve. Looking at Rottweilers map, there's a decent dip at around 5500 rpm on the stock curve. On their "open muffler" map, they show 6.3 hp increase in this area.

2019 KTM 790 Duke

Last edited by dj790duke; 09-28-2019 at 09:42 AM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 10:35 AM

Garage
Quote:
Yes, the factory O2 sensors are narrow-band. If my solution works out, I will keep the stock O2 sensors and add an extra wide-band O2 sensor downstream however, this will be optional and not needed to run the PC5 without the check engine light. My main goal is to have full tunability without the light.
No way to fit twin WBO2 and NBO2 emulators?

Do we know why the OEM ECU won't accept a "fixed lambda" dongle?

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 10:38 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCS View Post
Can you elaborate on this?
PCV with AFR. Mine is also set up to use intake manifold pressure rather than TPS. Took ages to get close. It's nowhere near as intuitive as TPS. Esp not if you also decide to map each gear differently. Map/Gear is well worth doing imo.

I'd rather go to a Good Dyno guy, but finding them is no easy task.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
QCS

Super-Moderator

Quote:
PCV with AFR. Mine is also set up to use intake manifold pressure rather than TPS. Took ages to get close. It's nowhere near as intuitive as TPS. Esp not if you also decide to map each gear differently. Map/Gear is well worth doing imo.

I'd rather go to a Good Dyno guy, but finding them is no easy task.
Long way from the good old days with carbs, needles and jets. Now days I have less time for tweaking and, thus, looking more for a "ready made" solution (while understanding it will not be perfect).

Last edited by QCS; 09-28-2019 at 11:27 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page