Kev's O2 mod for the 790 - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 17Likes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Kev's O2 mod for the 790

I've been researching ways to improve the low/steady speed surging and came across a O2 mod that has been popular on several other bikes including the 690s. Seems like the solution to our snatchy throttle issues. He just needs a 790 to develop the mod for our bikes.

If anyone in the Brisbane Australia area wants to lend him their bike, it sounds like he'd be willing to help us out. I'd jump all over this but I'm located in the US.

You can read more about the mod here https://www.ktmforums.com/forums/duk...s-o2-mods.html

I commented that I'd be interested in the mod for the 790 and he said he would only need a 790 for the day.
J D likes this.

2019 KTM 790 Duke
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 03:52 PM
J D

Eye In The Sky

Garage
Interesting for sure. Do many people still have the surging issues, with the latest software update?

Man that forum has a load of advertisements, gives my laptop a headache, :-)

Forum Admin. Sin Limites..
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by J D View Post
Interesting for sure. Do many people still have the surging issues, with the latest software update?

Man that forum has a load of advertisements, gives my laptop a headache, :-)
My dash says I'm on version 1.00. The KTM diagnostic tool says I'm fully up to date and I'm still having the low speed jerkiness while trying to hold a steady throttle. Going through a town at 30 mph is annoying, even in rain mode.
J D likes this.

2019 KTM 790 Duke
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj790duke View Post
My dash says I'm on version 1.00. The KTM diagnostic tool says I'm fully up to date and I'm still having the low speed jerkiness while trying to hold a steady throttle. Going through a town at 30 mph is annoying, even in rain mode.

We spoke with KTM officials at the road show few weeks ago in south france, and they told us the same, with all software versions the low speed shaking is simply there.
Our dealer is selling the coober ecu, they fix it. Also they are able to order Akrapovic EVO Kit, not street legal but also able to fix it.

Otherwise, you can see it as a feature, to a have a boogy woogy bike :-)
J D and dj790duke like this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj790duke View Post
I've been researching ways to improve the low/steady speed surging and came across a O2 mod that has been popular on several other bikes including the 690s. Seems like the solution to our snatchy throttle issues. He just needs a 790 to develop the mod for our bikes.

If anyone in the Brisbane Australia area wants to lend him their bike, it sounds like he'd be willing to help us out. I'd jump all over this but I'm located in the US.

You can read more about the mod here https://www.ktmforums.com/forums/duk...s-o2-mods.html

I commented that I'd be interested in the mod for the 790 and he said he would only need a 790 for the day.
Finally got my hands on a 790 this past weekend, I got the info I need from the bike, I will see what I can come up with my 02 sensor controllers & the 790's.
Chic, QCS, dj790duke and 4 others like this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 10:17 AM

Super-Moderator

Garage
I'm definitely interested as well. I still have the jerkiness at low speeds.

Keep the rubber side down!

R.I.P:
RT180
YZ125
R1
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 10:50 AM
The 'other' Long Islander..

Garage
Am I the only one who feels the bike doesn’t have this issue? It is very smooth to me.

2019 KTM Duke 790
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 10:56 AM
SuperDuker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLantern View Post
Am I the only one who feels the bike doesn’t have this issue? It is very smooth to me.
Can't say mine is that bad. Thing it - it's not a four or a triple - it's a twin with a weird offset firing cycle to emulate a V-Twin. In Rain, street and to some extent sport modes this is hard to spot. In track mode the lumpiness does wave hello. There is however a monster dip in torque.

Small steps - Day by Day.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 01:38 PM

Super-Moderator

Garage
It's not bad enough to really consider spending a lot of money to change, but a fix and a cost would be nice to know and be able to decide on.
J D likes this.

Keep the rubber side down!

R.I.P:
RT180
YZ125
R1
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 02:36 PM
The 'other' Long Islander..

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbagris View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLantern View Post
Can't say mine is that bad. Thing it - it's not a four or a triple - it's a twin with a weird offset firing cycle to emulate a V-Twin. In Rain, street and to some extent sport modes this is hard to spot. In track mode the lumpiness does wave hello. There is however a monster dip in torque.
I hope in track mode you are doing more then 30mph!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chic View Post
It's not bad enough to really consider spending a lot of money to change, but a fix and a cost would be nice to know and be able to decide on.
That’s a good point.
Chic likes this.

2019 KTM Duke 790

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page