Fluids - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By J D
  • 1 Post By DaveNZ

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Super-Moderator

Garage
Fluids

Gents, wondering what fluids you guys use? Has anyone used engine ice for coolant? I used to run this in my R1 and it ran approx 20-30 degrees (F) cooler than normal. Also, besides the stock Motorex, what oil do you use? Will changing either void any warranty items?

Keep the rubber side down!

R.I.P:
RT180
YZ125
R1
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Super-Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chic View Post
Gents, wondering what fluids you guys use? Has anyone used engine ice for coolant? I used to run this in my R1 and it ran approx 20-30 degrees (F) cooler than normal. Also, besides the stock Motorex, what oil do you use? Will changing either void any warranty items?
Seriously? No one??

R.I.P:
RT180
YZ125
R1
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 05:24 PM

Ive been using Motul 7100 oil between factory schedule servicing on both my KTMs, Bike shop will put either Motul or Motorex, depending on your preference. Both bikes don't seem to get very hot, so haven't experimented with coolant additives.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Super-Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNZ View Post
Ive been using Motul 7100 oil between factory schedule servicing on both my KTMs, Bike shop will put either Motul or Motorex, depending on your preference. Both bikes don't seem to get very hot, so haven't experimented with coolant additives.
Glad to hear they will use Motul! As for the coolant, the engine ice replaces the coolant overall. I loved it in my R1, and noticed a considerable difference. I feel like the 790 heats up rather quick when sitting idle at a stop light or in traffic, so I may give it a try eventually. Thanks for being the lone wolf Dave!!

R.I.P:
RT180
YZ125
R1
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 01:13 PM
J D

Eye In The Sky

Quote:
Glad to hear they will use Motul! As for the coolant, the engine ice replaces the coolant overall. I loved it in my R1, and noticed a considerable difference. I feel like the 790 heats up rather quick when sitting idle at a stop light or in traffic, so I may give it a try eventually. Thanks for being the lone wolf Dave!!

I've used a few non-ethyl-glycol (sp?), coolants in my bikes over time. Mainly from when I raced, as they didn't want the invisible, slippery stuff on the tarmac. I never really did notice a huge difference in temps, but then I prolly wasn't looking. Have to make a decision what oil to use in my 790, I'll prolly stick with whatever the factory reco's, or an equiv.
Chic likes this.

Forum Admin. Life goes by faster than a summer vacation.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
I live in the country Chic, and the closest town has a population of around 50,000, so traffic isn't really a problem except for say 8-9 am and 430-530pm then its only a couple of hundred meters of backed up cars (5-10 mins max). I did have a 2012 V4 Tuono, that thing got hot riding it in town let alone idling at the lights, we tried a few different coolants, but none really made much difference in that bike. As for oil, its recommended 10/50 or 10/60 .....10/60 in my 1290GT. and i have 4litres of 7100 10/60 in the cupboard ready for a mid oil change, i do a few track days and do a few in-between oil changes. They say if your riding or using the engine in extreme conditions then use 10/60, general riding 10/50. so its up to you really.
Chic likes this.

Last edited by DaveNZ; 05-12-2019 at 04:11 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page