what is your preferred rider mode and why? - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 8Likes

post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
Wish You Were Here

Garage
what is your preferred rider mode and why?

I thought it might be interesting to compare notes on what rider modes we use and why.
I for one have settled on Street mode for most of my riding as i do not like a harsh throttle response when riding around normally.
I have played with rain mode but as i generally ride more cautiously on wet roads i have found no benefit and swapped back to street mode, however i can see me using this mode this winter as an extra safety precaution.
Sport and Track modes will only be used when i am having a mad moment or two or three and on the track

Joy is riding your bike to it's limit
post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 03:28 PM
owl

Super-Moderator

Garage
Personally I rarely leave sport mode and thatís including a 20mile round trip daily commute through London.

I find street mode more relaxed if I want to just take it easy, but the throttle response is just too laggy for me. Nowhere near as bad as rain mode though.

Track mode reserved for weekends and track days
KiwiDuke likes this.

Observation is the greatest source of wisdom.

Last edited by owl; 11-21-2018 at 03:36 PM.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheronetoday View Post
I thought it might be interesting to compare notes on what rider modes we use and why.
I for one have settled on Street mode for most of my riding as i do not like a harsh throttle response when riding around normally.
I have played with rain mode but as i generally ride more cautiously on wet roads i have found no benefit and swapped back to street mode, however i can see me using this mode this winter as an extra safety precaution.
Sport and Track modes will only be used when i am having a mad moment or two or three and on the track
I am the same, keeping mine mainly street mode as the roads surfaces on the rural roads where I live are of mixed sometimes very iffy surfaces, and often damp and the less harsher throttle response helps.
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Wish You Were Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugz View Post
I am the same, keeping mine mainly street mode as the roads surfaces on the rural roads where I live are of mixed sometimes very iffy surfaces, and often damp and the less harsher throttle response helps.
I thought this thread would get a better response or does it mean most people never change it?

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 06:47 AM

Only done 135 miles so far, tried all except rain and currently street mode as hoping snatchy throttle improves as suggested..
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Wish You Were Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastfred View Post
Only done 135 miles so far, tried all except rain and currently street mode as hoping snatchy throttle improves as suggested..
it's very early day's for you then, your babies not even weaned yet.

if you have read the forums you will have seen a lots of comments regarding throttle response as snatchy

the reason is very clear is you look at the data this bike runs stupidly lean at low throttle openings to ensure emission compliance.

Some people saying bike software made it better, possible if map was changed by KTM but i am not sure they have
Some saying it get's better with mileage, which i doubt
Some saying Booster plug cures the problem, i can say this did make it a lot better
Some have gone for piggy back ECU AR and Coober, i can also say this made it even better
and finally some have had the bike map altered, this should be the best solution looking at results, but i have not tried

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 01:13 PM

Garage
I wonder if something has changed in the 2019 model. Or is something different with the bikes they are sending to North America. Could they be tuned different for emissions? I just received my bike a couple of weeks ago and I have no complaints about throttle response. It is near flawless. No "snatchy-ness" detected. I have ridden city, mountain and open high way terrain. Being in "Break-In" mode I try to vary terrain and RPM. Easy load of course not going over 6k rpm. If any detected I will update.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Wish You Were Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotth790 View Post
I wonder if something has changed in the 2019 model. Or is something different with the bikes they are sending to North America. Could they be tuned different for emissions? I just received my bike a couple of weeks ago and I have no complaints about throttle response. It is near flawless. No "snatchy-ness" detected. I have ridden city, mountain and open high way terrain. Being in "Break-In" mode I try to vary terrain and RPM. Easy load of course not going over 6k rpm. If any detected I will update.

what software version is your bike running?

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 01:49 PM

Garage
It is running ver 1.0 I am pretty sure. I just seen it a few days ago. I will verify later and if different I will post. Pretty sure though.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Wish You Were Here

Garage
that's the latest which does include a different map

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page