what is your preferred rider mode and why? - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 8Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
Wish You Were Here
 
anotheronetoday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Northampton UK
Posts: 620
Garage
what is your preferred rider mode and why?

I thought it might be interesting to compare notes on what rider modes we use and why.
I for one have settled on Street mode for most of my riding as i do not like a harsh throttle response when riding around normally.
I have played with rain mode but as i generally ride more cautiously on wet roads i have found no benefit and swapped back to street mode, however i can see me using this mode this winter as an extra safety precaution.
Sport and Track modes will only be used when i am having a mad moment or two or three and on the track

Joy is riding your bike to it's limit
anotheronetoday is offline  
post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 03:28 PM
owl

Super-Moderator

 
owl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: London Town
Posts: 290
Garage
Personally I rarely leave sport mode and thatís including a 20mile round trip daily commute through London.

I find street mode more relaxed if I want to just take it easy, but the throttle response is just too laggy for me. Nowhere near as bad as rain mode though.

Track mode reserved for weekends and track days
KiwiDuke likes this.

Observation is the greatest source of wisdom.

Last edited by owl; 11-21-2018 at 03:36 PM.
owl is offline  
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 06:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Carmarthenshire. Wales. UK
Posts: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheronetoday View Post
I thought it might be interesting to compare notes on what rider modes we use and why.
I for one have settled on Street mode for most of my riding as i do not like a harsh throttle response when riding around normally.
I have played with rain mode but as i generally ride more cautiously on wet roads i have found no benefit and swapped back to street mode, however i can see me using this mode this winter as an extra safety precaution.
Sport and Track modes will only be used when i am having a mad moment or two or three and on the track
I am the same, keeping mine mainly street mode as the roads surfaces on the rural roads where I live are of mixed sometimes very iffy surfaces, and often damp and the less harsher throttle response helps.
Bugz is offline  
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Wish You Were Here
 
anotheronetoday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Northampton UK
Posts: 620
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugz View Post
I am the same, keeping mine mainly street mode as the roads surfaces on the rural roads where I live are of mixed sometimes very iffy surfaces, and often damp and the less harsher throttle response helps.
I thought this thread would get a better response or does it mean most people never change it?

Joy is riding your bike to it's limit
anotheronetoday is offline  
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 06:47 AM
Member
 
Fastfred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Avening, Gloucestershire
Posts: 40
Only done 135 miles so far, tried all except rain and currently street mode as hoping snatchy throttle improves as suggested..
Fastfred is offline  
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Wish You Were Here
 
anotheronetoday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Northampton UK
Posts: 620
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastfred View Post
Only done 135 miles so far, tried all except rain and currently street mode as hoping snatchy throttle improves as suggested..
it's very early day's for you then, your babies not even weaned yet.

if you have read the forums you will have seen a lots of comments regarding throttle response as snatchy

the reason is very clear is you look at the data this bike runs stupidly lean at low throttle openings to ensure emission compliance.

Some people saying bike software made it better, possible if map was changed by KTM but i am not sure they have
Some saying it get's better with mileage, which i doubt
Some saying Booster plug cures the problem, i can say this did make it a lot better
Some have gone for piggy back ECU AR and Coober, i can also say this made it even better
and finally some have had the bike map altered, this should be the best solution looking at results, but i have not tried

Joy is riding your bike to it's limit
anotheronetoday is offline  
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 01:13 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 24
Garage
I wonder if something has changed in the 2019 model. Or is something different with the bikes they are sending to North America. Could they be tuned different for emissions? I just received my bike a couple of weeks ago and I have no complaints about throttle response. It is near flawless. No "snatchy-ness" detected. I have ridden city, mountain and open high way terrain. Being in "Break-In" mode I try to vary terrain and RPM. Easy load of course not going over 6k rpm. If any detected I will update.
scotth790 is offline  
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Wish You Were Here
 
anotheronetoday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Northampton UK
Posts: 620
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotth790 View Post
I wonder if something has changed in the 2019 model. Or is something different with the bikes they are sending to North America. Could they be tuned different for emissions? I just received my bike a couple of weeks ago and I have no complaints about throttle response. It is near flawless. No "snatchy-ness" detected. I have ridden city, mountain and open high way terrain. Being in "Break-In" mode I try to vary terrain and RPM. Easy load of course not going over 6k rpm. If any detected I will update.

what software version is your bike running?

Joy is riding your bike to it's limit
anotheronetoday is offline  
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 01:49 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 24
Garage
It is running ver 1.0 I am pretty sure. I just seen it a few days ago. I will verify later and if different I will post. Pretty sure though.
scotth790 is offline  
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Wish You Were Here
 
anotheronetoday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Northampton UK
Posts: 620
Garage
that's the latest which does include a different map

Joy is riding your bike to it's limit
anotheronetoday is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome