Performing First Service Yourself - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 6Likes

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
The 'other' Long Islander..

Garage
Performing First Service Yourself

Reading through the first service it looks like really basic stuff that any competent home mechanic can perform, except for the work that is listed as needing to be done by the KTM diagnostics tool.

The one thing that seems to be a concern though is the below which is listed in the service manual

I don't have access to dealer.net and can't input this information, anyone have any solutions for this? If I have to pay a dealer to do the work i'll do it but on the inside im screaming about paying $300 for what is essentially an oil change. I'm in the USA by the way.

2019 KTM Duke 790
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 10:26 AM

Thats excatly what they want you to do, go to the dealer and spend money for something that you can do yourself. They just found another way of stealing money from you. :/
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theron View Post
Thats excatly what they want you to do, go to the dealer and spend money for something that you can do yourself. They just found another way of stealing money from you. :/
It sure seems like it, I called another shop and they said they would do the ktm diagnostic plus enter the data into dealer.net for $120 for anyone wondering. You will save around $100, i think i'll just have the dealer do the whole thing and save myself any potential future hassles.

2019 KTM Duke 790
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 01:11 PM
J D

Eye In The Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLantern View Post
It sure seems like it, I called another shop and they said they would do the ktm diagnostic plus enter the data into dealer.net for $120 for anyone wondering. You will save around $100, i think i'll just have the dealer do the whole thing and save myself any potential future hassles.
I've heard others say, that software upgrades via the dlr is billed to KTM under warranty, so no cost to you. Best to call KTMUSA and confirm if this is real or not.

Forum Admin. Life goes by faster than a summer vacation.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by J D View Post
Quote:
I've heard others say, that software upgrades via the dlr is billed to KTM under warranty, so no cost to you. Best to call KTMUSA and confirm if this is real or not.
It’s not an upgrade but a diagnostics check that is part of the first service listed in the service manual.
J D likes this.

2019 KTM Duke 790
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 06:07 PM

I dont see the point. You buy a bike that costs 10000 +$ and 300$ for a service is a problem? What the **** really? Your warranty dont expire and if you divide that 300$ for a year its 25$ per month. Is that a lot for maintanance, ecu updates, recalls etc? here in europe we have ktm mobility service for free for a year everytime we take the bike for a service at official ktm dealer. Dont know about the us.
I just dont see the point.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miika View Post
I dont see the point. You buy a bike that costs 10000 +$ and 300$ for a service is a problem? What the **** really? Your warranty dont expire and if you divide that 300$ for a year its 25$ per month. Is that a lot for maintanance, ecu updates, recalls etc? here in europe we have ktm mobility service for free for a year everytime we take the bike for a service at official ktm dealer. Dont know about the us.
In the USA, especially in my area, there is the common practice of dealers trying to screw you over. We don’t call them stealerships for nothing. It is rare to find a dealer you actually trust. Being price gouged by dealers for stupid things is common practice here. I prefer to not support the practice.

I’ll pay it if I have to, I don’t care in the end about the money as with this bike I have already dropped a couple grand on new gear and mods.

But if it’s something as easy as a glorified oil change why spend 4-6 hours bringing it there and getting the work done when I can do it myself in an hour?

I don’t know about you but I enjoy working on my bikes and getting to know it. Especially when I have had dealers completely **** up my bikes or leave loose bolts in my motor.
1mfwic likes this.

2019 KTM Duke 790

Last edited by GLantern; 08-24-2019 at 06:30 PM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 10:43 PM

Quote:
I dont see the point. You buy a bike that costs 10000 +$ and 300$ for a service is a problem? What the **** really? Your warranty dont expire and if you divide that 300$ for a year its 25$ per month. Is that a lot for maintanance, ecu updates, recalls etc? here in Europe we have ktm mobility service for free for a year everytime we take the bike for a service at official ktm dealer. Dont know about the USA.
You're asking why some of here in the USA feel $300- is excessive for a glorified oil change? Because it is..

Yes, as GL mentioned, dealers often take advantage of new moto buyers with the first service. They will say they performed a plethora of services to your moto, when they really just change the oil & filter.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Reading through the first service it looks like really basic stuff that any competent home mechanic can perform, except for the work that is listed as needing to be done by the KTM diagnostics tool.

The one thing that seems to be a concern though is the below which is listed in the service manual

I don't have access to dealer.net and can't input this information, anyone has any solutions for this? If I have to pay a dealer to do the work i'll do it but on the inside I'm screaming about paying $300 for what is essentially an oil change. I'm in the USA by the way.
So here is the thing - The KTM statutory warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on. You are usually covered under consumer law, trust me on this!
You have the right to get the bike serviced wherever you like and you can obviously service it yourself, and as long as you keep the receipts and follow the service manual, even if the motor craps itself a year later, you ARE covered.

I'm in the middle of one of these exact battles at the moment - waiting for a new engine for my Duke due to excessive crankcase pressure and oil consumption.

And here is a little inspiring story. My mate has a 1200 monster S. He had traveled 12'000km and the 2-year warranty had just expired. The engine started using a lot of oil, like around 2L every tank of fuel. He had the first service history with Frasers Ducati and the next two were performed by his local mechanic and me, as per the service manual. Frasers were stupid enough to try and fight us at fair trading and even tried to point the finger at me (even though I'm a bike mechanic). They lost and my mate AJ got a brand new engine and a bunch of other free stuff for the hassle.

I only take my bike to the dealership for things like valve clearances and fiddly stuff I don't have the necessary tools for at my home workshop. I change the oil and filters every 5,000km religiously and i've owned bikes that have done 60,000km plus without using a drop of oil.

Have fun!
J D likes this.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 07:35 AM

Garage
Quote:
The point for me is I like to do my own maintenance and after my last couple of dealership service experiences I donít trust them! I had my Ducati in for some tuning work at one place and they damaged it without saying a word as I paid the bill..... Then another Duc was just plain attempted murder after not tightening the rear brake calliper bolts causing me a blow out as it broke the tyre valve stem!

I know there are good guys out there and if youíve lucky enough to have one on your doorstep then great but Iíd rather trust
myself to it right because I know I will.
J D likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page