Fuel Ron for your duke? - Page 2 - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 4Likes

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 11:47 AM

Super-Moderator

Garage
I'm US Premium as well. Usually it's 93 or more. I run the same in the Mustang. I wouldn't even attempt to try the US Midgrade!

Keep the rubber side down!

R.I.P:
RT180
YZ125
R1
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 12:33 PM
J D

Eye In The Sky

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCS View Post
In its new turbo charged gasoline engine, Mazda provides two power output numbers, one for regular fuel and one for premium..
You bring up an interesting point, (not to go OT with car bit, but, ) My Fiesta ST turbo-hatchback, says it can run on Regular gas, (I'd never do this), yet on 91 or better, you can press a switch, and get more boost up top, when you need it, adding more HP & Torque, and it is most def. noticeable.
Needless to say, I always fill it with Premium, (91-93 octane), and always hit that button before driving off.

Forum Admin.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 12:50 PM
QCS

Super-Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J D View Post
You bring up an interesting point, (not to go OT with car bit, but, ) My Fiesta ST turbo-hatchback, says it can run on Regular gas, (I'd never do this), yet on 91 or better, you can press a switch, and get more boost up top, when you need it, adding more HP & Torque, and it is most def. noticeable.
Needless to say, I always fill it with Premium, (91-93 octane), and always hit that button before driving off.
There are more parameters involved, but to simplify it you can say that with the higher octane you are able to advance the ignition more aggressively on high RPM and get more power, without knock. I remember playing with ignition points in the good old days. We would advance until we started to get knocking then retard the plate and leave it there. When we changed mixtures or octane we had to do it all over again...

Pity Ford stopped making the ST variants (and actually anything which is not a Mustang or a truck). I had the Focus ST for three years and it was one nice ride. I hear the Fiesta is even more fun.
J D likes this.

I ride because my wife says it keeps me young and is better than if I get a girlfriend...

Last edited by QCS; 08-13-2019 at 12:53 PM.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

SO I had an interesting conversation with the mechanic when i picked my bike up (unrelated)

And he reccomended not running on 98 RON fuel. The reasoning was that (at least in australia) it is massivly inconsistent when tested depending on when and where you get it. He said it will causing fueling issues or strange problems that ocme and go.
He reccommended 95 RON from BP as he's found it the most consistent accross all places and times.

So i'm going to switch to Australian Premium (95 RON*) and see if the rev hunting at start up reduces this winter.

fingers crossed

*American Premium, EU & UK Regular.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page