My last track day... and looking forward to the next! - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 9Likes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Unread 01-29-2020, 04:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
My last track day... and looking forward to the next!

Okay, so it's not on a Duke, it's on my previous ride a 2012 Street Triple R, which I miss dearly, but am looking forward to a track day on the Duke come Spring/Summer. I'm going to the same track as in the video below, which was shot 9/8/2018 at Oregon Raceway Park.

Question. I'm between beginner and intermediate. Do you think the stock Maxxis would hold up on a hot summer day? I've read reviews of journalists riding the tires on a track, so I figure if they, who are assuredly faster than me, do it, I could.

2019 KTM Duke 790
2015 Ducati Monster 821
2002 Honda XR400R
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Unread 01-29-2020, 10:17 AM
The 'other' Long Islander..

Garage
Looks like fun! Personally i'm a tire snob, that is something I NEVER skimp on as it is one the piece of the bike constantly in contact with the ground. I'm sure the Maxxis would work, but would I want to use them at the track when there is much better rubber out there? No.

2019 KTM Duke 790
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Unread 01-29-2020, 01:48 PM

Super-Moderator

ORP is a pretty awesome track - did a double header there myself around 7 years ago. It's like a roller coaster when ran clockwise (it can be ran bi-directionally).

As for the tires:

- Have Journo's ran the OEM Maxxis tires on track - yes. Keep in mind these are typically VERY experienced riders/ex-racers who have typically ran thousands of laps on track so their pace on mediocre tires can be quite impressive while still maintaining a high margin for error. Sadly that doesn't usually translate to Beginner/Intermediate level TD riders who need all the help they can get as their throttle inputs aren't as smooth as they can be, quite often their lean angle is higher than needs to be, and their setup or understanding of the bikes limit's isn't as refined as it will be once they progress.
Look at Race School Instructors as a prime example - they run high end street tires like Dunlop Q3/Q4's or Pielli SC's while teaching Club racers and are doing so on the pointy end of the Advanced group pace or faster and almost never have an issue with grip while riders in Beginner have slicks and tire warmers yet lowside/highside on average roughly 20-30 times more often.

My rule of thumb is proper high end rubber is cheap insurance at the track. Dunlop Q3+, Q4, Pirelli Supercorsa, Metzeler M7's, Bridgestone S22's, etc... will all be a huge upgrade over your Maxxis OEM tires and none of those require tire warmers, just a lap or two and they offer amazing levels of grip.

As for your video - if there are Instructors at ORP have them work with you on RPM Management and upshifting/downshifting - those two items you can have an "a-ha" moment with after you see the difference they make. You are vastly underutilizing your bikes ability and the upshifts are unsettling the bike - sort those two out and that alone will increase your margin of error and drop a LOT of time around ORP.
J D, Rick and colombo like this.

My ambition outweighed my talent.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Unread 01-29-2020, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungLion View Post
ORP is a pretty awesome track - did a double header there myself around 7 years ago. It's like a roller coaster when ran clockwise (it can be ran bi-directionally).

As for the tires:

- Have Journo's ran the OEM Maxxis tires on track - yes. Keep in mind these are typically VERY experienced riders/ex-racers who have typically ran thousands of laps on track so their pace on mediocre tires can be quite impressive while still maintaining a high margin for error. Sadly that doesn't usually translate to Beginner/Intermediate level TD riders who need all the help they can get as their throttle inputs aren't as smooth as they can be, quite often their lean angle is higher than needs to be, and their setup or understanding of the bikes limit's isn't as refined as it will be once they progress.
Look at Race School Instructors as a prime example - they run high end street tires like Dunlop Q3/Q4's or Pielli SC's while teaching Club racers and are doing so on the pointy end of the Advanced group pace or faster and almost never have an issue with grip while riders in Beginner have slicks and tire warmers yet lowside/highside on average roughly 20-30 times more often.

My rule of thumb is proper high end rubber is cheap insurance at the track. Dunlop Q3+, Q4, Pirelli Supercorsa, Metzeler M7's, Bridgestone S22's, etc... will all be a huge upgrade over your Maxxis OEM tires and none of those require tire warmers, just a lap or two and they offer amazing levels of grip.

As for your video - if there are Instructors at ORP have them work with you on RPM Management and upshifting/downshifting - those two items you can have an "a-ha" moment with after you see the difference they make. You are vastly underutilizing your bikes ability and the upshifts are unsettling the bike - sort those two out and that alone will increase your margin of error and drop a LOT of time around ORP.
Yeah an instructor that day followed me and told me to work on shifting as well... but now with the QS... I haven't had issues like others with it. It's smooth 99% of the time. I'll probably use it less on downshifting though... so what do you recommend as a shifting method?

About the tires... I had Dunlop Q3+ that day and they worked great, until they didn't one chilly morning (40-45 F) and it wound up totalling the Striple I'm a little weary of putting them on for everyday use, and if I got new tires they stay on after the track day.

That's why I'm thinking of just running the stock tires... a compromise true. I'll keep in mind about what you said about lean angle... I was also told to hang off the bike more.

Rollercoaster is exactly the word that came to mind when I road it too. I like it better than PIR personally. Not as fast but so much fun!

2019 KTM Duke 790
2015 Ducati Monster 821
2002 Honda XR400R
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Unread 01-29-2020, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Here's a good article: https://www.motorcyclenews.com/produ...-supermaxx-st/

2019 KTM Duke 790
2015 Ducati Monster 821
2002 Honda XR400R
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Unread 01-29-2020, 07:32 PM

Super-Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by colombo View Post
In case you are thinking the tires in the link that you posted above are the OEM Maxxis tires on the 790 Duke, I just want you to know that they are totally different tires.

The OEM Maxxis tires can't be purchased as replacements, they are only available as an OEM spec made tire.

The Maxxis ST tires are indeed a decent tire, a local shop is selling boatloads of them as they are really cheap and offer decent grip AND awesome wear rates.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Unread 01-29-2020, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungLion View Post
In case you are thinking the tires in the link that you posted above are the OEM Maxxis tires on the 790 Duke, I just want you to know that they are totally different tires.

The OEM Maxxis tires can't be purchased as replacements, they are only available as an OEM spec made tire.

The Maxxis ST tires are indeed a decent tire, a local shop is selling boatloads of them as they are really cheap and offer decent grip AND awesome wear rates.
Ah, okay... I assumed that the rubber was the same. Actually I've heard the stock tires wear pretty quick.

2019 KTM Duke 790
2015 Ducati Monster 821
2002 Honda XR400R
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Unread 01-29-2020, 08:46 PM

Super-Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by colombo View Post
Ah, okay... I assumed that the rubber was the same. Actually I've heard the stock tires wear pretty quick.
It's all perspective IMO- I run tires that last typically 3000 miles/set, I think thats commendable for my riding style on the street - some guys would lose their minds at any set of tires that didn't offer double or triple that mileage.

A friend finally wore through his OEM set and he was pissed they wouldn't wear out soon enough LOL.
colombo likes this.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Unread 01-30-2020, 02:26 AM

After checking out your video, id say you want something a little more grippier than the Maxis, they may turn to jelly if pushed hard, and why risk your bike and also risk not having as great a day as your concerned about the tires. The 790 will find the limit to even the best road sport tires. My S22 took a beating on our tight twisty Taupo track with track temps above 55C. Theres some great sporty road tires out there M7RR/S22/ PRIII/ Conti Sport Attack/Pilot Powers etc. All will do the job and still give good road milage. My plug is for the S22's, they are awesome tires. PS, put some good brake pads up front.
YoungLion likes this.

Last edited by DaveNZ; 01-30-2020 at 02:30 AM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Unread 01-30-2020, 12:40 PM

fully agree to the above: why even asking?

You’re fast compare to everyday rider, confident in your angles change, why take the risk of a tire not trusted for years?!

I took out my Maxxis while I was just 600kms on it for Rosso 3 as I had a track day. I’ll keep them if ever I need to sell the bike...better than worn out track tires.

But if you go on track, tires is least yo even ask yourself: go to whichever make/model you know. 👍