KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

Hazard Lights

23K views 31 replies 13 participants last post by  barbagris 
#1 ·
In California we can lane split. I was shocked when I noticed my 790 does not have hazard lights. Does anyone know how to make the current lights flash together? Hazard lights are used when splitting lanes to bring attention to your location.

#5 ·
If the 790 headlight is on (and it always is) - the blinkers will barely be visible.

On my way home yesterday (in the car) I had a scooter behind me riding erratically through the estates and pulled over because frankly I did not want to part of the accident waiting to happen - it passed and the Hazards were on. Invisible in rear view mirror.

#6 ·
Thank you for all of your responses. However, the question was is there a way to modify the 790 to have hazard lights on since there is no switch? I understand everyone has their own perspective on hazard lights, but mine was just mechanical in nature.

#8 ·
JP . Sorry - but here goes. I think you will have issues.

The flasher relay in not a discrete item but forms (iirc) part of the instrument cluster and is programmed by the factory for bulb OR led. So I'll take a guess here that it detects load differences. I've not tried, but my guess is that to get Hazards, you'll need to wire a discrete load independant relay in as a replacement with all the corresponding switchgear. Doable but a serious PITA.

A simpler alternative would be to fit a second set of tiny but bright LEDS with a separate relay - easier and maybe more visible if you use bar-end blinkers.

#9 ·
Barbagris,

Thank you so much for your response. I am not a computer or mechanic. Therefore, I think your second option is probably better. Has anyone put in bar-end blinkers before? If so, what brand? Thanks for the help again.

JP

#11 ·
The German lads seem to be fond of the solution, historically.

If it were me I'd think strongly about KELLERMAN and MOTOGADGET. They know their countrymen. The Motogadget blinker relay might well fit inside the bars too. I've not tried on alloy bars ever.

Note this is NOT without some modifying to route wires through bars etc. And you'll lose the anti vibration weights. Here the Kellerman may give a slight advantage as they're steel.

https://motogadget.com/shop/en/m-blaze-disc.html
https://www.kellermann-online.com/en/products/bl-2000/48/bl-2000?c=166

#10 ·
I vote second option as well. I don't think the blinker loop will engage if it sees much over 20 watts (2 bulbs). I was curious and added a load resistor (~9.5w) to the blinker circuit before swapping the two 10 watt bulbs to the LED's. The instrument cluster didn't react when the turn signal switch was engaged.

#14 ·
If you have the KTM alarm installed, then there is a function to switch the hazards on from the alarm keyfob with the engine running, just how you'll do it riding down the road remains to be seen but technically it is possible. Btw, if you don't have the alarm due to its ridiculous price it maybe worth knowing that the alarm is manufactured by an Italian company called Meta, the model is the Defcom T and is available in the UK for around £80, this includes the wiring loom that plugs directly into the KTM harness so is literally a 5 minute install. I snapped one up from eBay and bought the KTM mounting bracket to do a proper install, saved about £200, happy days!

#16 ·
It does come with a wiring diagram but I think the hazard function is an inbuilt function of the alarm, as with most alarms it flashes all indicators when arming and disarming so it's the alarm powering the indicators as opposed to the bike. I guess there must be left and right turn positive feeds at the alarm multi pin connector under the seat so I guess it would be just a case of having a two pole flasher relay rigged up to the outputs and controlling it somehow from a conveniently mounted switch.

The alarm is supplied with a wiring loom which plugs into the back of the alarm, however this is not needed as the bike has a similar loom connector so just plugs directly into the alarm. There is also a connector on the bike to add the passenger seat reed switch, this is supplied with the KTM mounting bracket hardware. I checked with my KTM dealer and they confirmed adding the Meta alarm will not invalidate the warranty, whereas any modifications to the bikes loom will invalidate any electrical claims.

Personally for £80 odd quid I'd get the alarm and job done, albeit you may fall off when switching the hazard function on!

Hope this helps

#17 ·
It does come with a wiring diagram but I think the hazard function is an inbuilt function of the alarm, as with most alarms it flashes all indicators when arming and disarming so it's the alarm powering the indicators as opposed to the bike. I guess there must be left and right turn positive feeds at the alarm multi pin connector under the seat so I guess it would be just a case of having a two pole flasher relay rigged up to the outputs and controlling it somehow from a conveniently mounted switch.
Any chance of a copy - pretty please??

Can't find Meta on sale here so far. I do not want an Alarm under the seat as I have other plans!.

#18 ·
Here's a link to the diagram: -

http://www.abacuscaralarms.co.uk/manuals/Meta_def_com3_fitting.pdf

I'm at work now, but will look at the multiplug tonight and be able to tell you the pin positions for the indicator feeds, I seem to recall the wire colours in the meta loom aren't the same as the corresponding wires in the KTM loom but as long as you know the pin positions it should be easy enough to see which is the indicator feeds.

Cheers

#19 ·
Here's a pic of the meta loom, so the indicators feeds are the top row pins 5 & 6, all you need to do is look at the identical KTM loom under the seat and pins 5 & 6 (different colours) will be what you are after to tap into. I've attached a pic of the Meta alarm installed with the KTM bracket, just in case you want to see how much space it takes.

Please bear in mind mine is a UK bike, I assume all markets are pre-wired for the factory alarm?

Regards

Attachments

#21 ·
I commute every day to and from work. I have experienced drivers making left turns in front of me in broad daylight. They don't see you. 99% of the time it wasn't on purpose. To increase my survivability, I have installed a front-facing LED strobing white light purchased from a bicycle shop. 800 lumen is powerful enough to have the light bounce back from any street signs 500 feet away. With this mod, the only driver that will turn in front of me is the jerk who is doing it on purpose. I will not ride without this mod.

To reduce the chance of getting rear-ended, I've installed a red back-facing led strobe light. Again, both of the LED lights were purchased from the bicycle shop.

#22 ·
i'd be interested in a mod that makes the rear brake light flash brightly under braking, i've seen some cars have this based on sharp throttle decrease, thus turning on the brake light before your slow body even gets to the brake and thought this was a good idea.

#23 ·
There are products out there like this one - I have no affiliation with them and not sure if they'd ship overseas.

It's just a micro-controller doing PWM with a bunch of modes that you can select to get the pattern you want. Work with LEDs and incandescent bulbs.

You will have to cut a single wire in the brake harness though (the power to the brake light) and splice it in, then find a ground for the device - simple enough.

I can say whether this will comply with your local road regulations though!

#26 ·
G-Force activated rear module https://safer-turn.com/smart-brake-module/

Watch the Youtube videos - one or two have discount codes!. I have one fitted. I have it flash on decel but the brake lever does not flash the light. This is a useful feature here where in theory a flashing brake is not 100% legal. But G-force decel flashing IS.

3rdbrake used to have a gforce model but no longer listed.

#31 ·
Hazard lights came standard, so I thought... silly me. My K6 SV had them in so...
When I searched for the switch on the 790 when the need arose, I have to say I was a bit shocked.
I use them in extreme fog, which is common on my morning commute in cooler months.
It's terrifying when headlights behind are barely visible, making me think I'd be completely non-existent in front of them.
It's bad enough I have to dodge kangaroos from nowhere, without wondering when a from-behind rogering is coming.
I suppose the LED tail light is far more effective than the old analogs, but I'm still uneasy.

#32 ·
I suppose the LED tail light is far more effective than the old analogs, but I'm still uneasy.
Not to put you at unease - but it is NOT. It is one of my "pet hates".

I cannot for the life of me see how safety has been improved in this particular respect if my 1979 Moto Guzzi has brighter and better visible indicators/taillight than most M/C made since about 2000.
Easy to fit an additional VERY F*CKING BRIGHT FOG LIGHT.

I am a big fan of LED emitters - but there is more to think upon than the LED. Most "Tail Tidies" make things worse from observation. Headlights HAVE more recently improved, but are still for the most part NOT ideal.

I may (I'm sort of in 2 minds right now) look at fitting Adaptive Headlight(s) to the 790Duke. So much of my planning right now depends on the Big Triumph selling (or not).
Rade has a canbus doodad so the 790 electronics are kept happy. I have a pair of JW-Speaker Adaptives sat here. Found some neat clamps to make fitting easy and tidy. And some stunning headlight mounts - but jeez - the price.

Fitting Hazard flashers would be a cinch. Cheap too. A 3 (maybe 4) pole DT switch, flasher relay, some wire and a bit of thought. Will be tidier if you are good with solder and have good crimp tools.

Ditto fitting a self cancelling timer into the OEM indicator circuit. The variable timers like the STS solution - are a bit more complicated. Better to buy it in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.