Australian Motorcycle Insurance - Page 2 - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 6Likes

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 02:48 AM

Insured my 790 today with Famous. $383.31 I'm in the 40plus category.
Multistrada is with them as well $560.
Tried a few other companies a few years ago with the Multi, all $400 plus on the Famous renewal, except for QBE who wanted $1500.
I'd like to know how they work out the premiums. Dart board?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 03:31 AM

Garage
Just for perspective across the ditch in NZ, I'm currently with Star Insurance. 71 year old male, rural location, no convictions or claims. Fully comprehensive policy, any rider AUD 508. That includes roadside breakdown assistance and a clothing/helmet replacement of AUD 1100.

However, I'm a member of the NZ branch of the UK Institute of Advanced Motorists (IAM). They've just done a deal with Aon insurance for decent discount for riders with recognised advanced roadcraft qualifications and I think that will give around a further AUD 100 off the total cost next year. There's also a national upskilling programme for riders called Ride Forever (https://www.rideforever.co.nz/). There's some conditions but by attending, you can get the equivalent of AUD 95 off your vehicle registration.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 07:09 AM
owl

Super-Moderator

Garage
Found it odd after moving to the UK that the insurance policy covers the individual not the vehicle. Which means for anyone to drive the vehicle, they either need to have their own insurance policy, which would also need to cover them driving other vehicles, or be a named driver on your policy.

In SA the policy covers the vehicle and means anyone who is licensed can drive that vehicle and be covered. Is it the same in Aus/NZ?

In London, my insurance when I got the bike for the first year was about 700, was expected, because London and a brand new bike, the renewal has just gone through this year for 480, which is still ridiculous, but a lot better than the 2,500 they wanted for insuring a SuperDuke

Observation is the greatest source of wisdom.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owl View Post
Found it odd after moving to the UK that the insurance policy covers the individual not the vehicle. Which means for anyone to drive the vehicle, they either need to have their own insurance policy, which would also need to cover them driving other vehicles, or be a named driver on your policy.

In SA the policy covers the vehicle and means anyone who is licensed can drive that vehicle and be covered. Is it the same in Aus/NZ?

In London, my insurance when I got the bike for the first year was about 700, was expected, because London and a brand new bike, the renewal has just gone through this year for 480, which is still ridiculous, but a lot better than the 2,500 they wanted for insuring a SuperDuke
In NSW the Third Party insurance which is part of the registration process covers the vehicle but rider/driver have to be licensed for that vehicle.

The comprehensive insurance (damage, theft, etc) covers the person who will ride/drive the vehicle. You can nominate others to be users of the vehicle and what percentage of use they have. They are named on the policy. Premiums will vary depending on age, convictions for speeding, DUI's, claims on insurance etc of extra riders/drivers.

It might vary from state to state.
owl likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page