790 vs lots of others... - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Couchy

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

790 vs lots of others...

So I do like a good naked bike on the race track and in my time I've had a few before settling on the 790 so here's a brief rundown..remember this is track use and track tyres fitted

S1000R, great engine very wayward handling with some tank slappers thrown in
Monster 1200S, long low slower to turn and ground clearance issues but a very nice bike
1290 Superduke Gen1, unable to seperate TC and anti wheelie so frustrating as I like TC but hate anti wheelie
Yamaha MT09SP, great engine but the worst handling of all the nakeds I've had. Spent a whole day with suspension tech trying to stop it weaving and didn't succeed, sold day after the trackday lol

There's been more but none have been as happy on track as the little 790, I put the bars in forward position and the rear preload up to maximum. Fitted a plus 1 rear sprocket and turned anti wheelie off and TC on minimum, braking in supermoto mode. Within 2 laps I was 5s a lap quicker than the MT09SP and quicker than the monster and the S1000r. Fun wise it's the best yet
anotheronetoday and weeksy like this.
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 10:32 AM
Wish You Were Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couchy View Post
So I do like a good naked bike on the race track and in my time I've had a few before settling on the 790 so here's a brief rundown..remember this is track use and track tyres fitted

Monster 1200S, long low slower to turn and ground clearance issues but a very nice bike
1290 Superduke Gen1, unable to seperate TC and anti wheelie so frustrating as I like TC but hate anti wheelie
Yamaha MT09SP, great engine but the worst handling of all the nakeds I've had. Spent a whole day with suspension tech trying to stop it weaving and didn't succeed, sold day after the trackday lol

There's been more but none have been as happy on track as the little 790, I put the bars in forward position and the rear preload up to maximum. Fitted a plus 1 rear sprocket and turned anti wheelie off and TC on minimum, braking in supermoto mode. Within 2 laps I was 5s a lap quicker than the MT09SP and quicker than the monster and the S1000r. Fun wise it's the best yet
very interesting comments and thoughts, most people on this forum would agree this is a great bike, as i say the only thing limiting this bike is the rider or perhaps me

Joy is riding your bike to it's limit
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 06:46 PM

Good to hear that itís so good as standard on the track, personally mine is staying a road bike, just need a screen.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 07:07 PM
Wish You Were Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugz View Post
Good to hear that itís so good as standard on the track, personally mine is staying a road bike, just need a screen.
same for me and I was really pi...Ö. when delivery went out to jan 19

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couchy View Post

Sounds like youíve answered part of my question raised in the new members group.
If I buy Iíll love it.
Just need to buy one now.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 02:05 PM

Garage
S1000R Tank-Slapper I cured with an Ohlins Steering Damper. 400 bucks but it was worth it. That being said, I would still take my 790 Duke. It is just plain fun!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 07:16 AM
Wish You Were Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotth790 View Post
S1000R Tank-Slapper I cured with an Ohlins Steering Damper. 400 bucks but it was worth it. That being said, I would still take my 790 Duke. It is just plain fun!
the 790 is not plain fun

IT'S f........ GREAT FUN

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page