KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

KTM 790 vs Ducati Monster 821

24K views 29 replies 14 participants last post by  barbagris 
#1 ·
I really wanted to buy the Monster 821 after selling my SMR450, but now that would be a mistake, since for the same price I can buy a better engine, better electronics and more agile motorcicle.

I love the safety options (ABS and TCS), the personalized track mode, the supermoto mode, and especially the quick shifter.

Even if Monster looks better and that look will never fade by time, I can’t ignore the 20kg lighter 790 with all the tech available as standard.

Great package and great price...I don’t know what color to get.

#3 ·
Unless you're dead set on something with a Ducati badge, I think there are much better value bikes to found and the 790 is a great example. Color choices are pretty limited obviously, buy you could always look to aftermarket for a more unique look.

#6 ·
Yes, I will get a new KTM 790 Duke in black.

I tested the Yamaha MT-09 and it’s insane!

I also ridden the Ducati Monster 821 and I really like it, except the extreme heat under my right leg, and the extra weight (25kg that you feel in the traffic).

I sold my SMR and I don’t know if I should buy now or wait for the winter, when I have bigger chances of negociating for a discount.

I will need some PowerParts, Akrapovic, end bar mirrors, and crash pads.

Price is 7200€ without VAT (I’ll import it, to avoid paying the VAT).

#9 ·
This is what I was hoping to get some information on when I joined here today. I own a 2016 Monster 821 and love the bike, however, I'd like something that's a little more all day ride friendly and the 790 Duke is a good fit. Has anyone made the move from an 821 Monster to the 790 Duke that could shed some light on the two bikes back-to-back?

Thanks in advance.

#12 ·
I’ll be able to answer in a month, when my 790 will arive.

I only tested the Monster one day, so I only had the first impression: very entertaining on the open roads, powerful enough, but painful to ride inside the city, very hot engine, very low seat (I’m 1.89m height), claustrophobic in the seat (heel hitting the exhaust) and difficult to maneuver.

I ordered the orange 790 after all, and I went the touring direction with the powerparts: side bags instead Akra exhaust, top case (will look huge), heated grips, windshield (ordered the original PP, but I think I’ll get the Givi dark smoke one), usb outlet, end bars mirrors, just because handguards on a naked would be ugly.

#13 · (Edited)
About time to update this thread, after 3 weeks with my orange 790 Duke.

Compared with the Monster 821, the 790 feels LIGHTER.

The sound of the engine is also more satisfying, especially when you downshift from 6th to 5th using the quickshifter, you get like an engine backfire (stock exhaust), that simply makes you smile :D

I remembered the Monster having a little more power, but that might also be only my impression because I had a SMR450 back then, so the difference in power was huge, and also because my 790 is still braking in, and I didn’t went above 6.5k RPM yet.

The position is kinda similar, meaning that you don’t see the bike when you ride, but I definitely like having the 790 more than the Monster.
With the 790 I have more versatility, because I can easily equip it with top case, side bags and windshield and go for a longer ride, (comfortable for you and the passenger), then remove them, install the race pillion replacement seat, and have a hooligan ride.

This is something you can’t do with the Monster: that bike is made to be used just as it is, you can’t rock a big windshield or a top case without ruining the look, and it won’t be a hooligan, because it’s more of a classic retro look, with no tech involved.

For the romantics, that love to ride solo for short to medium rides, don’t care about tech and comfort, the Monster is the better bike.
For the holligans that want a lighter, faster and MORE FUN and faster accelerating machine, the 790 is the better bike.

With the 790 you won’t be cool when you leave the bar or restaurant around the Mediterranean coast, and a girl you just picked up wants to ride with you.
With the Monster you won’t feel the egoistic fun that the 790 brings, when you are using the launch control, or ride in the twisties with the fun + safety that the MTC, MSR, MSC and Supermoto mode are offering.

Basically, with the 790 you can go crazy and push the limits, knowing that it will take care of you, while with the Monster you have to be gentle, or it might punish you.

You won’t regret 100%, no matter what the choice would be.

#14 ·
I had a test ride booked on a Ducati Monster 821 but ended up cancelling it and buying a 790.

For me, something 20kgs lighter with full electronics for a lot less money won the day (10 month old 790 vs. 18 mth old Monster)

I already have a couple of old mid 90's 900ss Ducatis and my brother already has an 821 Monster so the odds were stacked against me going to KTM.

Shout out to Weeksy who made me see sense!! :)

#15 ·
I had my heart set on a Monster 821, but after taking it for a test ride and riding my friend's 390 duke before hand i changed my mind. Everything about the monster was great when it came to handling and performance, but it was so uncomfortable for a naked bike! My biggest gripe was my right leg could never get comfy, my calf was always hitting the exhaust pipe heat shield routed next to the engine and my heel hitting the exhaust can. Followed by the fact i was constantly falling into the tank, and i'm no stranger to gripping the tank with my legs.

The 390 was so much comfier I knew I had to buy the big brother, and after sitting on the 790 followed by the test ride I knew it was the bike for me. I also like all the touring options for it, add racks, my wolfmann bags and a windscreen then i'm ready for a number of days in the saddle.

#16 ·
I compared the duke to the new Hyper 950. Was a though call form me. Both great bikes but have a significantly different feel.

Went with the Duke for the price and potential for upgrades. I can probably fit Ohlins or similar for a total price, which is about what I would have paid for the basic Hyper.

Reactions: 648
#17 · (Edited)
5000 km with the 790!

Upgraded the exhaust to SC Project S1 and the sound is amazing, especially when I use the quickshifter.

So, the question now is not 790 Duke or Monster 821.
The question is 790 or Monster 1200.

Why?

Because the Monster 821 has no cornering ABS like the Monster 1200.
790 Duke has cornering ABS and also cornering traction control.

I do find the 790 a little underpowered compared to the Monster 821.
Monster 1200 has the perfect amount of power, but I would miss the 790 agility around the city.

The KTM 1290 Superduke is absurdly expensive, and overpowered for my taste, and that’s not light either.

So, the only switch I would make right now from my 790, would be the Monster 1200.

The Monster 821 would be a wrong choice, because has no cornering ABS, and because the power upgrade wouldn’t be that significant compared to my 790.

The best all-around option so far, is definitely the KTM 790 Duke.

#19 ·
I always end up comparing bikes that are not really comparable and find myself ending up with some kind of compromise. Then I mod the bike a little bit, make it really mine and all is forgotten.

The D790 is just such a sweet compromise.

Reactions: 648
#23 ·
Excellent comments guys, thanks! Makes me feel better about my purchase now (not that I was doubting it). I never got to ride the MT09 but just sitting on it I wasn't all that impressed. It was a lot cheaper though, but like you guys said, the package with the 790 was incomparable.

#24 · (Edited)
790 vs. 1200S

I am the owner of a week old Duke 790, and have had a Monster 1200S for about 2000 miles. Here are my observations about how they compare.

-The Monster costs almost twice as much as the Duke and it shows. The paint, the finishes, and the moto jewelry on the Monster make it really pop. It is a beautiful bike. I like the Duke, it is bold, funky, and fun, but I would never call it beautiful.
-The suspension on the Duke handles very well and I have no complaints, but the Ohlins on the Monster are in another league. Once I adjusted the forks for correct preload they are so supple that they seem to float over road imperfections. I have ridden over washboard sections of gravel roads and barely felt them.
-The M50 Brembos with the Brembo master cylinder are superb. The feel and the modulation on them are beyond what I feel on the Duke. However on the street the brakes on the Duke have been just fine, on the track it would be another matter.
-Both bikes have great electronics, but the Monster gives you more options. I think there are 5 levels of ABS, six levels of wheelie control, and at least the many levels of traction control. For each of the ride modes you can custom set each of these parameters. If you want to wheelie in rain mode or have a gentle throttle in sport mode, no problem.
-Power wise the Monster is a beast. Fueling is very good, so the bike feels almost docile below 6,000rpm (unless you give it full beans), but after 6,000 it just goes nuts. It has very tall gearing and does not enjoy slow riding.
-the engine character! The Duke feels like a twin, the Monster is a twin. It has a rumbly, grumbly character that I never tire of hearing.
-The Monster has become a very reliable bike. Since Audi took them over reliability and cost of service have really improved. This is still my biggest worry about the Duke.

Now the negatives;
- the monster is 70 pounds heavier than the Duke, and you really feel it. I have not had the Monster in the mountains, but I think the Duke would just leave it behind.
-The Monster is a really hot bike. In traffic it feels like you are straddling a furnace. Not great in the Texas summer.

Despite any shortcomings the Duke is an amazing package: a 400lb. bike with over 100hp., a hugely sophisticated electronics package, and a quick shifter. In Texas, where even two lane country roads have a 75mph speed limit the big Monster is a gas. In the mountains around Asheville, the Duke is fantastic. I love both bikes

#25 ·
I am the owner of a week old Duke 790, and have had a Monster 1200S for about 2000 miles. Here are my observations about how they compare.

-The Monster costs almost twice as much as the Duke and it shows. The paint, the finishes, and the moto jewelry on the Monster make it really pop. It is a beautiful bike. I like the Duke, it is bold, funky, and fun, but I would never call it beautiful.
-The suspension on the Duke handles very well and I have no complaints, but the Ohlins on the Monster are in another league. Once I adjusted the forks for correct preload they are so supple that they seem to float over road imperfections. I have ridden over washboard sections of gravel roads and barely felt them.
-The M50 Brembos with the Brembo master cylinder are superb. The feel and the modulation on them are beyond what I feel on the Duke. However on the street the brakes on the Duke have been just fine, on the track it would be another matter.
-Both bikes have great electronics, but the Monster gives you more options. I think there are 5 levels of ABS, six levels of wheelie control, and at least the many levels of traction control. For each of the ride modes you can custom set each of these parameters. If you want to wheelie in rain mode or have a gentle throttle in sport mode, no problem.
-Power wise the Monster is a beast. Fueling is very good, so the bike feels almost docile below 6,000rpm (unless you give it full beans), but after 6,000 it just goes nuts. It has very tall gearing and does not enjoy slow riding.
-the engine character! The Duke feels like a twin, the Monster is a twin. It has a rumbly, grumbly character that I never tire of hearing.
-The Monster has become a very reliable bike. Since Audi took them over reliability and cost of service have really improved. This is still my biggest worry about the Duke.

Now the negatives;
- the monster is 70 pounds heavier than the Duke, and you really feel it. I have not had the Monster in the mountains, but I think the Duke would just leave it behind.
-The Monster is a really hot bike. In traffic it feels like you are straddling a furnace. Not great in the Texas summer.

Despite any shortcomings the Duke is an amazing package: a 400lb. bike with over 100hp., a hugely sophisticated electronics package, and a quick shifter. In Texas, where even two lane country roads have a 75mph speed limit the big Monster is a gas. In the mountains around Asheville, the Duke is fantastic. I love both bikes

Respectfully, comparing a 790 Duke to a 1200 Monster (with Ohlins) is an apples to oranges comparison. With the 821 Monster, even a Stripe with adjustable suspension, you're not going to get the high end features you'll get on the 1200 like higher spec brakes, more horsepower and the TFT display. Unless you opt for a 2018+ Monster 821, then you'll get the TFT.

I'm in the process of trading my 2016 Monster 821 and will, eventually, replace it with the latest version of it or a 790 Duke. As I've yet to ride the Duke it's hard for me to seriously consider it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.