KTM 790 vs Ducati Monster 821 - Page 2 - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 8Likes

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 05:41 PM

Thank you for the response. All day friendly meaning a bike that is relatively comfortable to ride all day. Certainly longer than 30 minutes and on a wide variety of roads.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kltk1 View Post
This is what I was hoping to get some information on when I joined here today. I own a 2016 Monster 821 and love the bike, however, I'd like something that's a little more all day ride friendly and the 790 Duke is a good fit. Has anyone made the move from an 821 Monster to the 790 Duke that could shed some light on the two bikes back-to-back?

Thanks in advance.
Iíll be able to answer in a month, when my 790 will arive.

I only tested the Monster one day, so I only had the first impression: very entertaining on the open roads, powerful enough, but painful to ride inside the city, very hot engine, very low seat (Iím 1.89m height), claustrophobic in the seat (heel hitting the exhaust) and difficult to maneuver.

I ordered the orange 790 after all, and I went the touring direction with the powerparts: side bags instead Akra exhaust, top case (will look huge), heated grips, windshield (ordered the original PP, but I think Iíll get the Givi dark smoke one), usb outlet, end bars mirrors, just because handguards on a naked would be ugly.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kltk1 View Post
Thank you for the response. All day friendly meaning a bike that is relatively comfortable to ride all day. Certainly longer than 30 minutes and on a wide variety of roads.
About time to update this thread, after 3 weeks with my orange 790 Duke.

Compared with the Monster 821, the 790 feels LIGHTER.

The sound of the engine is also more satisfying, especially when you downshift from 6th to 5th using the quickshifter, you get like an engine backfire (stock exhaust), that simply makes you smile

I remembered the Monster having a little more power, but that might also be only my impression because I had a SMR450 back then, so the difference in power was huge, and also because my 790 is still braking in, and I didn’t went above 6.5k RPM yet.

The position is kinda similar, meaning that you don’t see the bike when you ride, but I definitely like having the 790 more than the Monster.
With the 790 I have more versatility, because I can easily equip it with top case, side bags and windshield and go for a longer ride, (comfortable for you and the passenger), then remove them, install the race pillion replacement seat, and have a hooligan ride.

This is something you can’t do with the Monster: that bike is made to be used just as it is, you can’t rock a big windshield or a top case without ruining the look, and it won’t be a hooligan, because it’s more of a classic retro look, with no tech involved.

For the romantics, that love to ride solo for short to medium rides, don’t care about tech and comfort, the Monster is the better bike.
For the holligans that want a lighter, faster and MORE FUN and faster accelerating machine, the 790 is the better bike.

With the 790 you won’t be cool when you leave the bar or restaurant around the Mediterranean coast, and a girl you just picked up wants to ride with you.
With the Monster you won’t feel the egoistic fun that the 790 brings, when you are using the launch control, or ride in the twisties with the fun + safety that the MTC, MSR, MSC and Supermoto mode are offering.

Basically, with the 790 you can go crazy and push the limits, knowing that it will take care of you, while with the Monster you have to be gentle, or it might punish you.

You won’t regret 100%, no matter what the choice would be.

Last edited by kevo82; 04-12-2019 at 12:11 AM.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 09:29 AM

I had a test ride booked on a Ducati Monster 821 but ended up cancelling it and buying a 790.

For me, something 20kgs lighter with full electronics for a lot less money won the day (10 month old 790 vs. 18 mth old Monster)

I already have a couple of old mid 90's 900ss Ducatis and my brother already has an 821 Monster so the odds were stacked against me going to KTM.

Shout out to Weeksy who made me see sense!!
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 09:15 AM

Garage
I had my heart set on a Monster 821, but after taking it for a test ride and riding my friend's 390 duke before hand i changed my mind. Everything about the monster was great when it came to handling and performance, but it was so uncomfortable for a naked bike! My biggest gripe was my right leg could never get comfy, my calf was always hitting the exhaust pipe heat shield routed next to the engine and my heel hitting the exhaust can. Followed by the fact i was constantly falling into the tank, and i'm no stranger to gripping the tank with my legs.

The 390 was so much comfier I knew I had to buy the big brother, and after sitting on the 790 followed by the test ride I knew it was the bike for me. I also like all the touring options for it, add racks, my wolfmann bags and a windscreen then i'm ready for a number of days in the saddle.
J D likes this.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 11:00 AM
QCS

I compared the duke to the new Hyper 950. Was a though call form me. Both great bikes but have a significantly different feel.

Went with the Duke for the price and potential for upgrades. I can probably fit Ohlins or similar for a total price, which is about what I would have paid for the basic Hyper.
J D likes this.

I ride because my wife says it keeps me young and is better than if I get a girlfriend...
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 03:12 AM Thread Starter

5000 km with the 790!

Upgraded the exhaust to SC Project S1 and the sound is amazing, especially when I use the quickshifter.

So, the question now is not 790 Duke or Monster 821.
The question is 790 or Monster 1200.

Why?

Because the Monster 821 has no cornering ABS like the Monster 1200.
790 Duke has cornering ABS and also cornering traction control.

I do find the 790 a little underpowered compared to the Monster 821.
Monster 1200 has the perfect amount of power, but I would miss the 790 agility around the city.

The KTM 1290 Superduke is absurdly expensive, and overpowered for my taste, and that’s not light either.

So, the only switch I would make right now from my 790, would be the Monster 1200.

The Monster 821 would be a wrong choice, because has no cornering ABS, and because the power upgrade wouldn’t be that significant compared to my 790.

The best all-around option so far, is definitely the KTM 790 Duke.
J D likes this.

Last edited by kevo82; 08-04-2019 at 03:14 AM.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 02:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevo82 View Post
5000 km with the 790!

The best all-around option so far, is definitely the KTM 790 Duke.
Kevo, Curious as to the MT-09 vs the 790. It was a hard decision for me on that. Why did you decide to not bother with MT-09?

Keep the rubber side down!

R.I.P:
RT180
YZ125
R1
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 08:49 PM
QCS

I always end up comparing bikes that are not really comparable and find myself ending up with some kind of compromise. Then I mod the bike a little bit, make it really mine and all is forgotten.

The D790 is just such a sweet compromise.
J D likes this.

I ride because my wife says it keeps me young and is better than if I get a girlfriend...
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 07:33 AM

Garage
I agree QCS. This is exactly what I did. I chose the D because the package it comes with and all the excellent reviews. I am not disappointed at all, just curious.

Keep the rubber side down!

R.I.P:
RT180
YZ125
R1

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page