How the 790 compares to competitors - Page 2 - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 4Likes

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 01:35 AM

I rode a Dragster 800 a few years back, before the Duke was around. It had a big grin factor but was bloody expensive and much less user friendly. I nearly bough a used one just before I bought the 790. The MT 09 was a good ride and I loved the engine but I didn't spend long enough on it to make an very informed opinion of it overall. I have never ridden a Street Triple and although they are supposed to be a great bike, I can't bring myself to sit on something so ugly. Looks like they have been thrown together from the parts bin.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 05:40 AM

Did some highway pulls yesterday against my friends GSX-S750 and the 790 will walk it no problems.
We started at a fairly low speed and pulled on 2nd gear every time up to about 130mph or so.

The 790 engine is just marvellous, got massive low end grunt but it just keeps pulling to red line banging in gear after gear.

I understand its not why this bike was built but we figured hey, lets see which machine is quicker in a straight line.
Chic and J D like this.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 07:01 PM

I would say the closest rival would be the Triumph Street Triple RS, similar electronics but with better suspension/brakes and tyres. The difference between the two is Australia is $3600. So you can always buy the 790 and spend 3k for the adjustable suspension/brake upgrades.
J D likes this.

Australian KTM 790 Duke Group Facebook Page - https://www.facebook.com/groups/ausktm790duke/

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page