2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum - View Single Post - Another track day in the books
View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
EvansB2
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungLion View Post
I heard that Ben and Casey were on a couple R1's doing a TD today but didn't know it was at Willow - very cool experience indeed! Did ya get a chance to chat with them? Were there Yamaha staff around or literally 2 guys and a Van just messing about? Enquiring minds want to know! LOLOL...
It was an Alpinestars sponsored track day. So, several OEMs were there. Yamaha, Honda, Aprilia, Ducati, and even Indian had Bikes there. Lots of people who were new to track riding also took advantage of Yamaha Champions Riding School giving free training.

Spies and Stoner were out off and on all day on R1 Ms. Spies ripped past me on several occasions, making me look even slower than I am. Several current and retired US racers were also there. Chris Filmore had his Pikes Peak 790 there, but I never encountered him while we were on the track, except one session where he came past me on an Aprilia.

With Willow being such a fast track, the 790 is not an ideal mount because of the lack of wind protection. Still, I had tons of fun even if I was feeling a little beat up at the end of the front straight at then end of every session.

Oh, and I did get to chat with Ben and Casey briefly, and they laughed when I told them of my hero moment of following them on their out lap. Hey were very nice.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome