Hello and advice please - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 12Likes

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 06:28 AM Thread Starter

Hello and advice please

G'day all!

Im James from Melbourne, Australia.

I am super keen to get a KTM 790 duke. I love everything about it. The engine, weight, looks, tech ect.

I am testing a new 2019 model this Tuesday and have cash ready to lay down (have come from a street triple R that was nicked two weeks ago).

However to be honest I am little concerned about the frequency of problems experienced by 790 duke owners. Don't get me wrong, I know many bikes have issues and niggles. However it seems that a very large proportion of 790 dukes are plagued by oil leaks. coolant leaks, fork seal leaks ect.

Just wanted to know, if I get the 790 duke is it likely I'm going to be facing a few problems, or is there a large proportion of 790 owners out there who have had a trouble free ownership experience?

Many thanks

James
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 10:11 AM
Pgm

Garage
Iíve had two with zero issues other than one being written off.
jimbo14 likes this.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 10:29 AM
owl

Super-Moderator

Garage
Would think most of the earlier issues have been ironed out now, been out for over a year now.

I also came from a street triple r, I’ve had a few issues you mention, coolant and oil leak, both sorted now (hopefully), but nothing that makes me regret my purchase.
jimbo14 likes this.

Observation is the greatest source of wisdom.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 05:53 PM
QCS

Super-Moderator

Riding for 6 months with no issues.
jimbo14 likes this.

I ride because my wife says it keeps me young and is better than if I get a girlfriend...
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Great, appreciate your input!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 09:48 PM
The 'other' Long Islander..

Garage
No issues here, about 800 miles on the clock though it’s not much.
jimbo14 likes this.

2019 KTM Duke 790
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 06:19 AM

I have 4000km on my 790 bought two months ago. Only issue has been the water leak. But such an easy fix, just tighten the clamp, so what is to worry about? The bike is brilliant. Never had a bike which I could ride very fast downhill with such confidence. Buy it.
jimbo14 likes this.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 05:28 PM
J D

Eye In The Sky

Garage
Welcome James! We hope you purchase one, as the thrill far out ways the little irritations that have affected people here. :-)))
jimbo14 likes this.

Forum Admin. Sin Limites..
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo14 View Post
G'day all!

Im James from Melbourne, Australia.

I am super keen to get a KTM 790 duke. I love everything about it. The engine, weight, looks, tech ect.

I am testing a new 2019 model this Tuesday and have cash ready to lay down (have come from a street triple R that was nicked two weeks ago).

However to be honest I am little concerned about the frequency of problems experienced by 790 duke owners. Don't get me wrong, I know many bikes have issues and niggles. However it seems that a very large proportion of 790 dukes are plagued by oil leaks. coolant leaks, fork seal leaks ect.

Just wanted to know, if I get the 790 duke is it likely I'm going to be facing a few problems, or is there a large proportion of 790 owners out there who have had a trouble free ownership experience?

Many thanks

James
Hi James,

Welcome!

First the bad:
I've experienced the bike shutting down for no reason, trip 1 and trip 2 resetting for no reason, bolts falling off, again, for no reason... Only had the bike for 2 months yet, went to the dealer 3 times under warranty. However I did not experienced the oil and coolant leaks, yet...
The bike is so well balanced in terms of engine fuel/air, that you cannot do a lot of changes to the bikes exhaust system without changing thermodynamics and possibly damaging the engine. You should not decat this bike unless you are going for a full system with a Coober ECU (or an Akrapovic evo line with special KTM map), and you should only do it if you are constantly pushing the bike to the limit, they are not meant for cruising speeds. So if you are those curious guys that likes to upgrade everything, be very careful.

The good and the best:
To be fair this is by far the best bike to have fun on an everyday basis... However if you are looking for no problems, just buy a Japanese. Just keep in mind you will not have this fun factor.
It fells like an enduro bike with a confy seat. Goes in and out of the corners like a race bike. The driving position is just fantastic, really no words... I can tell you that even with those 3 problems that annoy me a lot when they happen, I get a smile in my face every morning when I press the start button.

Regards,
Joao
jimbo14 likes this.

KTM 790 Duke, and saving to add a 1290 Adventure to the collection...
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

Thanks so much everyone for your input. Its really much appreciated.

The 2012 Street Triple R I had never had a problem. It was rock solid despite many trackways and around 35,000kms. Due to the solid history and the enjoyment I got from the bike I am also considering a street RS.

However, I am testing a 790 Duke tomorrow, I have always had a thing for twins and I have a feeling ill be completely bowled over.

Ill let you know what I think.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page