Normal engine temperature? - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 5Likes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Normal engine temperature?

Since the heat wave is hitting Europe hard, temperatures hit 35C here in Madrid and will rise slowly over the next few days.

Riding in the city the temperature gauge went above the regular 3 or 4 bars and hit 6 bars.

Attached is an image, should I be worried and no longer use the bike until after the heat wave?

No high engine temperature warning lights or anything. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190626_182309_1561580620443.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	1438
J D likes this.

2018 Duke 790 L Black
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Je224 View Post
Since the heat wave is hitting Europe hard, temperatures hit 35C here in Madrid and will rise slowly over the next few days.

Riding in the city the temperature gauge went above the regular 3 or 4 bars and hit 6 bars.

Attached is an image, should I be worried and no longer use the bike until after the heat wave?

No high engine temperature warning lights or anything. Attachment 1438
Since itís within the normal parameters and your bike is still under warranty and it will show any inherent defects that the motor may have, I wouldnít worry about it or baby the engine at this point. Ride on dude!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 12:43 AM

Read the manual Je224, it will tell you when you need to worry about engine temps.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 05:08 AM

Garage
Do not worry. This is perfectly normal, especially if the outside temperature is above 30 degrees. I was in Madrid and I know how heavy the traffic there is. If you can not move more than 60-80 km/h for а longer time, then you can not cool the engine properly. Fans do not do miracles, they only help to blow/cool the radiator faster.

I spoke with representatives from Motorex Switzerland and they recommended me to use 10W/60 oil instead of 10W/50 especially if the motorcycle is going to ride most often in an urban environment (with heavy traffic etc.). They told me that the engine will behave better and will cool better without forced cooling (fans). It's about full synthetic oil: Motorex POWER SYNT 4T 10W/60.

Tomorrow I will take my motorcycle with changed oil (10W/60) and later I can tell if I feel any difference.

Cheers

KTM 790 DUKE | ORANGE
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 06:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wire Nut View Post
Since itís within the normal parameters and your bike is still under warranty and it will show any inherent defects that the motor may have, I wouldnít worry about it or baby the engine at this point. Ride on dude!
Thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothTownDuke View Post
Read the manual Je224, it will tell you when you need to worry about engine temps.
Yeah in the manual it says the "emergency state" will activate if the temps go above 120C and that 6 bars is just described as "hot"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstyle View Post
Do not worry. This is perfectly normal, especially if the outside temperature is above 30 degrees. I was in Madrid and I know how heavy the traffic there is. If you can not move more than 60-80 km/h for а longer time, then you can not cool the engine properly. Fans do not do miracles, they only help to blow/cool the radiator faster.

I spoke with representatives from Motorex Switzerland and they recommended me to use 10W/60 oil instead of 10W/50 especially if the motorcycle is going to ride most often in an urban environment (with heavy traffic etc.). They told me that the engine will behave better and will cool better without forced cooling (fans). It's about full synthetic oil: Motorex POWER SYNT 4T 10W/60.

Tomorrow I will take my motorcycle with changed oil (10W/60) and later I can tell if I feel any difference.

Cheers
Sound advice man, I will look forward to the results. I am not sure I can change the type of oil without voiding the warranty though.

2018 Duke 790 L Black
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 03:05 PM

Super-Moderator

Garage
Agree with mstyle. I am running the same oil but the 10W-50 and have noticed in higher temps I am up around 4-5 bars. If the 60 cools better, I may change oil for summer riding to that.

I want to also research using a different coolant. I used to run Engine Ice coolant in my R1 and when I switched to that, the bike ran 10+ degrees cooler.
J D and mstyle like this.

Keep the rubber side down!

R.I.P:
RT180
YZ125
R1
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 12:40 PM

Garage
About the oil. I had the opportunity to ride my motorcycle today and feel a little different engine sound (I liked it more), the gear shift became easier and the 2nd gear problem (where switching between 1st and 2nd is more difficult) disappeared! Also the Quickshifter works better now.

Unfortunately today the temperature outside was lower than the previous days and I can not say whether there is a difference in cooling. I will share more information and experience when I have the opportunity.

Cheers

KTM 790 DUKE | ORANGE
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 04:21 AM

Garage
Quote:
Thanks man!

Yeah in the manual it says the "emergency state" will activate if the temps go above 120C and that 6 bars is just described as "hot"

Sound advice man, I will look forward to the results. I am not sure I can change the type of oil without voiding the warranty though.

About voiding the warranty. That can not happen. I'm not sure, but I think there is no difference between the European and the US terms of the warranty.

My mechanics from the KTM authorized service did not mention anything. My motorcycle is brand new and has a warranty too. As far as I can see, there is no problem to change the oil viscosity or choose another brand, for example Bel-Ray, Motul etc. It's just important that the oil is a high grade full synthetic and compatible with this engine. Of course, to match the temperature amplitudes of the place where you live and the type of riding (track, commuting etc.). You can find a lot of information about what your options are and what is the most optimal motor oil for you and your bike.

Something to keep in mind. Almost all motorcycles are set to average riders (75-85kg), and oil is selected for average engine load. The factory setting of the motorcycle is not suitable for track or only for commuting. It is chosen to work for both but with average performance. This means If you want a well-tuned suspension, you have to upgrade your suspension and adjust it to your kilos, and if you want best engine performance, temperature etc., then you have to choose a type of oil according to the type of ride.

On the subject with temps. This weekend I managed to spin 300km and I can confirm that the engine temperature is better with 10W/60 than 10W/50! Both on the highway and on the traffic in the city.

Cheers
J D likes this.

KTM 790 DUKE | ORANGE

Last edited by mstyle; 07-01-2019 at 04:28 AM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chic View Post
Agree with mstyle. I am running the same oil but the 10W-50 and have noticed in higher temps I am up around 4-5 bars. If the 60 cools better, I may change oil for summer riding to that.

I want to also research using a different coolant. I used to run Engine Ice coolant in my R1 and when I switched to that, the bike ran 10+ degrees cooler.
Keep us up to date on the results of the coolant switch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstyle View Post
About voiding the warranty. That can not happen. I'm not sure, but I think there is no difference between the European and the US terms of the warranty.

My mechanics from the KTM authorized service did not mention anything. My motorcycle is brand new and has a warranty too. As far as I can see, there is no problem to change the oil viscosity or choose another brand, for example Bel-Ray, Motul etc. It's just important that the oil is a high grade full synthetic and compatible with this engine. Of course, to match the temperature amplitudes of the place where you live and the type of riding (track, commuting etc.). You can find a lot of information about what your options are and what is the most optimal motor oil for you and your bike.

Something to keep in mind. Almost all motorcycles are set to average riders (75-85kg), and oil is selected for average engine load. The factory setting of the motorcycle is not suitable for track or only for commuting. It is chosen to work for both but with average performance. This means If you want a well-tuned suspension, you have to upgrade your suspension and adjust it to your kilos, and if you want best engine performance, temperature etc., then you have to choose a type of oil according to the type of ride.

On the subject with temps. This weekend I managed to spin 300km and I can confirm that the engine temperature is better with 10W/60 than 10W/50! Both on the highway and on the traffic in the city.

Cheers
About the factory settings of the temperature I fully agree. I was informed very late about the new thermostat recall on the Duke 790 and waiting for the next available appointment for the recall. I think this will help a bit with the temperature.

Thanks again for your valiuable input mstyle, I will update this thread once I have the new thermostat installed and tested.

2018 Duke 790 L Black
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
I was informed very late about the new thermostat recall on the Duke 790
I'm not aware of this recall. What's the issue with the thermostat? Anyone know if it's applicable in North America?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page