KTM Demo Day - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By weeksy

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Super-Moderator

Garage
KTM Demo Day

So KTM jsut did a demo day in my area which I went to. Took the 1290 SuperDuke R out for a spin. That thing is a beast. Gobs of low end power and overall a pretty nice bike. I will admit though, during the ride, I said to myself....I made the right choice. I love my 790 way more than I could get into this! So I think this demo ride was actually not a complete loss!

Now for my gripes.... The set up of the day was fine (location, people, tents). However, the way KTM conducted this whole thing was by far the worst. They brought about 20+ bikes and had you sign up for the ONE you wanted to ride. Once you signed up, they put you in the next available group. I got there about 10 mins before they started, and I got in group 5. Here is where they went wrong. They had a max group number 8 people. Each group was led by one KTM person and swept by one KTM person. The ride was 15-20 mins long. They only had ONE group at a time. So of all the bikes they brought, there were always at least 12+ bikes sitting there. After my ride from 1200-1215, I tried to sign up for a test ride on the SMC, but they were booked solid the rest of the day.

I think if KTM wanted to get as many people through, they would have had you sign up one at a time, but in a slot next to the bike you wanted to ride.....and of course, brought more people to lead and sweep so they could run at least 2 groups at the same time.

Anyone been to one of these before? Hopefully it was better than the one I just did!

Keep the rubber side down!

R.I.P:
RT180
YZ125
R1
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 03:10 PM

I just ring my dealer. In the UK to be a full dealer you must have 1 of every current model for demo.
J D likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 03:45 PM

I was in group 6 and felt the same way....was a waste they were pushing out unused bikes from the start of each ride. All that was needed was another leader for a 2nd group.

I test rode the 790...wanted to try another bike, but would have taken the whole day. Maybe there was something wrong with the front suspension & low end throttle response on the orange 790....I thought the bike would feel more sorted for the price point. To be fair, I'm from VA, those roads in MD for the test ride were not in the best shape

I was thinking about purchasing the 790, but decided on a BMW G310R for a fun light weight second bike because of the warranty and to wait on 790 reviews/bug fixes. I felt the fronted and throttle response of the BMW was shockingly more sorted than the KTM. I was impressed with the engine though, great torque and it felt light.

Last edited by hpp 8140; 06-23-2019 at 03:50 PM.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Super-Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weeksy View Post
I just ring my dealer. In the UK to be a full dealer you must have 1 of every current model for demo.
That's an awesome way to deal Weeksy. I wish our dealers up here had to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpp 8140 View Post
I was in group 6 and felt the same way....was a waste they were pushing out unused bikes from the start of each ride. All that was needed was another leader for a 2nd group.

I test rode the 790...wanted to try another bike, but would have taken the whole day. Maybe there was something wrong with the front suspension & low end throttle response on the orange 790....I thought the bike would feel more sorted for the price point. To be fair, I'm from VA, those roads in MD for the test ride were not in the best shape

I was thinking about purchasing the 790, but decided on a BMW G310R for a fun light weight second bike because of the warranty and to wait on 790 reviews/bug fixes. I felt the fronted and throttle response of the BMW was shockingly more sorted than the KTM. I was impressed with the engine though, great torque and it felt light.

You and I must have completely crossed paths. You don't own a 1290 do you? Was I talking to you!!

Keep the rubber side down!

R.I.P:
RT180
YZ125
R1
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chic View Post
That's an awesome way to deal Weeksy. I wish our dealers up here had to do that.

You and I must have completely crossed paths. You don't own a 1290 do you? Was I talking to you!!

Nah, don't own any KTM yet. Wanted a 390 for a while, now patiently watching the 790 series.

It was good to see a 1290...never seen one on the road.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 08:19 PM
J D

Eye In The Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chic View Post
So KTM jsut did a demo day in my area which I went to. Took the 1290 SuperDuke R out for a spin.

Anyone been to one of these before? Hopefully it was better than the one I just did!
I went to the Demo day in NJ, two Saturdays ago. It was run very smooth, but I suppose the same way as yours, Chic. The cool thing was that we hit all mountain roads in Sussex, NJ, and the rides were 35 minutes. I also rode the 1290 SDR, and agree with you completely, a total beast, but I prefer the Scalpel for it's handling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeksy View Post

Much better than the method here, Weeksy. I've only been able to demo one of the many bikes I've purchased new, other than the 790D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wire Nut View Post
Oh yeah, but youd be more pissed if 8 guys took all the rides for themselves just because they signed up early!
Truth.

Forum Admin. Life goes by faster than a summer vacation.

Last edited by J D; 07-06-2019 at 07:37 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 08:30 AM

This is how almost all manufacturers do demo days in the US. They only take out one group at a time and you can only sign up for one ride at a time. So when you go out for a ride, you have to come back and stand in line again. I understand why they do it, but it's annoying.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 01:05 PM

I was there that day too! Rode the orange 790 around 2:30pm. I was just about to go ride my VFR for an hour and come back, but someone didnt show up at his assigned time and I took his slot. It was a nice ride. Im pretty stoked about it.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 01:08 PM

Oh yeah, but youd be more pissed if 8 guys took all the rides for themselves just because they signed up early!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page