790 Duke vs R6 on Twisty Canyon Run - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 10Likes
  • 10 Post By Rocky R

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Top Speed guru

Garage
790 Duke vs R6 on Twisty Canyon Run

Went on a pretty aggressive ride this weekend with a buddy on a Yamaha R6. We rode Wentworth Springs Rd to Icehouse, then all the way to hwy 50. For those of you who know the area, it's a mix of highspeed sweeping corners with great pavement, which later turns to tighter, bumpier pavement thanks to the logging trucks, then good but tight the last 8 - 10 miles before hwy 50. Elevation gets up to around 5000 feet where there was even some snow still on the ground in places. The R6 had more top end and would pull me slightly on the longer straights. We did a roll on and the R6 hit 122 to the Duke's 118 before decel to make the upcoming sweeper.

But the corners...

I think the more upright riding position, the wider bars, and the twin's superior engine braking to the inline 4 were all a huge benefit. Flicking the little Duke side to side through the esses it had the clear advantage. Also, coming out of tight corners accelerating hard, the quickshifter allows you to charge harder and smoother as the R6 was definitely not as smooth as he grabbed gears racing to the next corner. The two bikes have completely different sounds, the Duke a deep, Ducati-esque rumble, and the R6, a high revving screamer. They both sound really cool, but power delivery could not be more different. I'm running the Wings exhaust, the Coober air box lid and ECU. It's a strong running Duke. It's advantage is additional torque, more linear power under acceleration, the quickshifter is huge in tight twisties with only short straights, and its nimble handling. The R6's strong points were top end speed, lighter weight, and more of an "attack" riding position that I'm still not sure is an advantage or not.

My buddy did complain of his wrists being sore after our 150 mile jaunt, and fuel economy on the R6 according to him is only about 125 miles per tank. I can squeak out 170 on a good day. The two bikes were a great match for this type of riding and we both had a blast riding together and plan more jaunts in the near future. Thanks for letting me share...

[IMG][/IMG]

FIM Motorcycle World Land Speed Record 376.363 mph
Greatest top speed: 405 mph Salar De Uyuni, Bolivia
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 12:36 AM

^^ Thanks for sharing that Rocky, sounds like you had a blast. Ive been riding with a 939SP Ducati, and a Nuda 900, they both have more torque, but the 790 is more nimble, the only advantage they had over the 790 was their long travel Ohlins suspension over the shitty surface roads, but the 790 suspension works pretty well.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page