Motorcycle.com 790 Duke Long-Term Review - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 22Likes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
VIP Member

Motorcycle.com 790 Duke Long-Term Review

I don't know if any of you already know this, but I'm one of the staff editors at Motorcycle.com. We've had the 790 in our stable for seven months, largely in my garage. When we keep a bike for this long, we generally write a long-term review. For this review, though, I've gone beyond the typical write up into modifications and will continue with several more articles about the Duke. I've fallen so in love with the 790 that I've asked KTM for permission to buy it when we are through testing it. This is only the second time in 20+ years of writing about motorcycles that I've felt that I had to own a bike I've tested. (The last time was the 2003 Yamaha R6.) That's what a special machine the 790 is.

So, here's the link to the article:

https://www.motorcycle.com/manufactu...rm-review.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	evans.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	1632  

Last edited by J D; 07-30-2019 at 05:28 PM. Reason: added foto..
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 03:50 PM
J D

Eye In The Sky

Garage
Thank you for sharing, Evans, an excellent read.
I really appreciate how you were clear about the huge benefits of this bike as well as the oil & coolant leak that have plagued quite a few fellow 790D'rs. Those two issues seem minor to me now. Interesting that your first bike had a upper knock. I've often wondered if they prep bikes special, for members of the Press?

Seems like you're having a real blast via the track day and daily spirited rides, those points alone really sell the bike to us all.
EvansB2 likes this.

Forum Admin. Sin Limites..
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
VIP Member

As far as special prep of bike for journalists is concerned, it goes the full gamut. Iíve seen bikes that idle like race bikes that I suspected were cheaters. (Though I could never prove it, and weíre long past the height of the sportbike wars.) Others have come with improper set up that I fixed in my own garage. With the problem of the first 790, KTMís US press staff is quite small, and I think they were overloaded with getting a dozen bikes ready for the media launch. Since the bike had a noisy top end from the beginning, I just thought that it was a noisy design Ė until it got worse. Then we called and asked.

Iím having a blast with the Duke, and Iíve already told KTM that I want to buy my test unit. This is only the second time in over 20 years of testing bikes that Iíve done this. The last time was 16 years ago with my 2003 R6. Thatís how special this bike is.
J D and Derek Chung like this.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 10:07 AM

did you have the akra map on your 790 before you dynoed it? i also like the akra exhaust because it looks OEM lol
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
VIP Member

My understanding is that the Akra map is for the full system.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 03:38 PM
J D

Eye In The Sky

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvansB2 View Post
My understanding is that the Akra map is for the full system.
Perhaps you'll do a Tune/Dyno video/write-up in the near future?

Forum Admin. Sin Limites..
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevra View Post

Perhaps you'll do a Tune/Dyno video/write-up in the near future? [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.790dukeforum.com/forum/images/NO_BRAND/smilies/tango_face_grin.png[/IMG]
That would good idea, wouldn’t it?

😉
J D likes this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 10:34 PM

Great read, Evan.
EvansB2 likes this.

Australian KTM 790 Duke Group Facebook Page - https://www.facebook.com/groups/ausktm790duke/
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 02:06 PM

can you go into a bit more detail about how you found the counter-balance seal leak and how you fixed it? can you fix it without draining the oil?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookguy88 View Post
can you go into a bit more detail about how you found the counter-balance seal leak and how you fixed it? can you fix it without draining the oil?
I found the leak by taking the countershaft sprocket cover off and looking for the source of oil. I have not replaced it yet. Right now, I'm just cleaning the engine after rides and checking the oil level frequently. I'll be taking it to KTM's press fleet for repair early next month to get it prepped for a sport-touring shootout on Motorcycle.com.

Yes, you can fix it without draining the oil. Just lean the bike on something to keep the oil on the other side of the engine.There are a few videos on YT showing how easy it is to replace. Take a look:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...al+replacement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page