Tires - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 14Likes

post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Tires

I really like this bike. I sold a 1290 Super Duke
after riding the 790 for a week as I actually prefer it over the SD.

I now have 2800km on it and my rear tire is almost used up. Iím ordering a set Michelin Road 5ís. Itís not a super hot sport bike tire but itís darn good from my experience on the SD and hopefully will give me more tire wear.

Iíll admit that this bike is worth going through the tires as fast as it does. BTW itís all street wear no track use.

I do live close to the mountains and spend most of my riding there. Very little freeway riding.
KiwiDuke likes this.
post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 06:12 PM

I run the PR5s on both my other bikes, but i wouldn't fit them on the 790 for myself. My 790 is solely for hooning, and track days, so I'm happy to part with my money for great tires but less longevity. Ive found with the PR5s, and PRs in general they need higher psi to keep them stable, which is not a bad thing on a 200plus KG bike. The PR5s are awesome tires tho, but i think the 790 deserves more of a sports tire.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 07:55 PM

Garage
I had Road 5's on my GSX-S 1000. Outstanding all-weather tyre with a nice soft compound edge for rapid transit in dry conditions. I only have one slight nagging doubt about them. I got 3 rear tyre punctures in 4 months and my last puncture prior to that was around 4 years before that bad run. The first puncture wasn't repairable but the 2 subsequent ones on a replacement Road 5 were. It might have been sheer statistical bad luck to get them close together but I'm looking at the Bridgestone T31 sport touring tyre to replace the Maxxis as they get excellent reviews.
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 07:36 AM
martinbrown9033

which tires are you using can you please suggest me? i have to buy for a company, looking for best tires for the bike.

J D : (link removed) SPAMMER account deleted

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 08:48 AM

Garage
I had Metzeler Roadtec 01ís on my last bike (VFR750) which is heavier, but I am considering trying these on my Duke as I was very happy with the wet/dry grip & were giving good longevity before I sold the old girl
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 12:15 PM
J D

Eye In The Sky

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNZ View Post
I PRs in general they need higher psi to keep them stable, which is not a bad thing on a 200plus KG bike. The PR5s are awesome tires tho, but i think the 790 deserves more of a sports tire.

I've been reading that others, (Facebook), are using the Road 5's on their 790D with great success.

Forum Admin. Sin Limites..
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevra View Post
I've been reading that others, (Facebook), are using the Road 5's on their 790D with great success.
I love PR5s. But have known for the front to wear quicker than the rear (ive ran PR3s and PR4s and never had this issue). On my previous bike (GXF1250S) the front only lasted 8000kms.

Australian KTM 790 Duke Group Facebook Page - https://www.facebook.com/groups/ausktm790duke/
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 12:21 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawbZ View Post
I love PR5s. But have known for the front to wear quicker than the rear (ive ran PR3s and PR4s and never had this issue). On my previous bike (GXF1250S) the front only lasted 8000kms.
Interesting comment! A friend with a 1290 GT had exactly the same problem. Mind you, I had the same problem with PR4's on my Blackbird. Conservative steering geometry and twisty roads where I live - almost inevitable. I've had all the PR range on previous bikes but as I mentioned in another thread, I got 3 punctures in 4 months on my Gixxer on Road 5's. Don't know if it was sheer bad luck or the conditions I ride in but less inclined to fit them to the 790 after that experience. Will probably be going for the T31's in the next few weeks. A friend has them on his 'busa and is delighted with them.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 01:31 AM
J D

Eye In The Sky

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
Interesting comment! A friend with a 1290 GT had exactly the same problem. Mind you, I had the same problem with PR4's on my Blackbird. Conservative steering geometry and twisty roads where I live - almost inevitable. I've had all the PR range on previous bikes but as I mentioned in another thread, I got 3 punctures in 4 months on my Gixxer on Road 5's. Don't know if it was sheer bad luck or the conditions I ride in but less inclined to fit them to the 790 after that experience. Will probably be going for the T31's in the next few weeks. A friend has them on his 'busa and is delighted with them.
Do you think the PR5 is a nail/screw magnet? haha. I'm thinking it was just random. Interesting that some experienced the PR5 front wearing faster than the rear, hardly seems possible? But if it happened than, perhaps I better find a few PR4 fronts to go with the PR5 rear.

Forum Admin. Sin Limites..
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 01:49 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevra View Post
Do you think the PR5 is a nail/screw magnet? haha. I'm thinking it was just random. Interesting that some experienced the PR5 front wearing faster than the rear, hardly seems possible? But if it happened than, perhaps I better find a few PR4 fronts to go with the PR5 rear.
Hahaha! It might be random but the environment I ride in might have something to do with it too. Having said that, it has been several years since I had a puncture with other brands prior to this little cluster with the Road 5.

The GSX 1250 which Strawbz mentioned has conservative geometry and it's not a light bike. A bit front end heavy too. If you're going to hustle it through the twisties, you're going to load up the front tyre with countersteering, increasing wear. None of that applies to the 790 so I'm picking that its life will be absolutely fine. On both my Street Triple and GSX-S 1000, I used to get 10-11,000 km from a sport touring rear tyre and the 790 should be better than that.
J D and StrawbZ like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page