updates at 600 service ( 1000km ) - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 10Likes

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

updates at 600 service ( 1000km )

Took the bike to the dealer for the 600 first service - told him that the shift indicator wasn't working and hadn't since it was new. I mentioned a few other small things like false neutrals, and the quick shifter was very jerky on the downshifts -

Long story short when I picked the bike up the tech mentioned that he couldn't find the source of the shift indicator failure and that it would take a lot of troubleshooting to find the source - I E new cluster - of course would have to be ordered - or maybe its updated from the KTM via their software update etc - I said well isn't that the main thing you do at this service except to eye ball things and change the oil and filter ( which I did the day before the service ) - he got a bit huffy and said no we don't do that as it might take a full day or even longer so we have to arrange for that in advance ~!!!! WTF I told the service manager and the tech I've owned and bought new 6 KTM's and have had every one of them placed on the KTM update system regularly and it took no time at all - I was floored - any comments ? thanks

Steve

PS I love the bike and this doesn't sour me on it I/m chalking it up to a misunderstanding with the service tech who failed to mention any of this to me - I asked him what the **** did he do for four hours and he said well he only worked on it for an hour and 20 minutes - year I was chilling for almost 5 hours ---
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 11:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephano View Post
Took the bike to the dealer for the 600 first service - told him that the shift indicator wasn't working and hadn't since it was new. I mentioned a few other small things like false neutrals, and the quick shifter was very jerky on the downshifts -

Long story short when I picked the bike up the tech mentioned that he couldn't find the source of the shift indicator failure and that it would take a lot of troubleshooting to find the source - I E new cluster - of course would have to be ordered - or maybe its updated from the KTM via their software update etc - I said well isn't that the main thing you do at this service except to eye ball things and change the oil and filter ( which I did the day before the service ) - he got a bit huffy and said no we don't do that as it might take a full day or even longer so we have to arrange for that in advance ~!!!! WTF I told the service manager and the tech I've owned and bought new 6 KTM's and have had every one of them placed on the KTM update system regularly and it took no time at all - I was floored - any comments ? thanks

Steve

PS I love the bike and this doesn't sour me on it I/m chalking it up to a misunderstanding with the service tech who failed to mention any of this to me - I asked him what the **** did he do for four hours and he said well he only worked on it for an hour and 20 minutes - year I was chilling for almost 5 hours ---
That's BS. I'm in central coast CA and just did my 600 mile service this past weekend. Scheduled the service 3 days in advance and it took about 2 hours. I told the dealer that the shifter was ****, they agreed and told me that it was a known issue with the 790. They then proceeded to adjust it 4 times (described to me as a 'learning procedure' that is hard to get right) and it was PERFECT when I rode it away.

Also, when I was paying for it I asked the tech how the chain tension was and without missing a beat he said it was 'absolute ****.' He then proceeded to tell me how the stock chain was garbage and to get a DID chain and Pirelli tires, which sparked an argument between him and the guy ringing me up about how dunlop Q3's are the way to go... The place wasn't cheap ($275~ for the service), but I trust them and I'll be going back for everything major.

I would try a different dealer.
Stephano and weeksy like this.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 11:30 PM

275 is pretty cheap. It's around 600-800 here for the first service (atlanta).
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 11:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 790404 View Post
What's the hourly rate??? $400 an hour??? I want to work for that stealership!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

Thank you all - I thought so
S
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

I/m assuming included in the 275 they changed the oil and filter - if they used Motorex and replaced the filter you likely had close to a 100$ in parts so the 275 included labor and parts -
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 04:34 PM

Super-Moderator

Garage
I will be due up for my 600 mi check in very soon and I am going to request they use anything other than the motorex.

If mine is even close to 790404's, there is going to be some choice words thrown down, a nice review on the shop, and a lot of typing on here!

Keep the rubber side down!

R.I.P:
RT180
YZ125
R1
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 07:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 790404 View Post
Bloody ****! My first service in New Zealand was NZ$278.90 (US$184). Oil, filter, computer diagnostic. I was waiting at the dealership for less than 2 hours. I have a long-term relationship with them as they've serviced my bikes since 2001. I now live a 320 km round trip away from them and they always go the extra mile to make sure they turn me round as quickly as they can.

Perhaps there are some advantages in living at the bottom end of the world!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 07:08 PM

Super-Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
Bloody ****! My first service in New Zealand was NZ$278.90 (US$184). Oil, filter, computer diagnostic. I was waiting at the dealership for less than 2 hours. I have a long-term relationship with them as they've serviced my bikes since 2001. I now live a 320 km round trip away from them and they always go the extra mile to make sure they turn me round as quickly as they can.

What's the name of the shop? I'll take mine there and tell them Geoff sent me!
Geoff and J D like this.

Keep the rubber side down!

R.I.P:
RT180
YZ125
R1
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff View Post

$635 for full 30,000km service including valve clearances, oil filter air filter and warrant on my 1290GT. Same place Boyds, and they have top class mechanics.
Geoff likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page