Rode in to work today.... - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By monkeynuts

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Super-Moderator

Garage
Rode in to work today....

and when I pulled in there was an orange, white and black 1290 sitting there. As much as love my 790, I have to admit, I was drooling!
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 02:59 PM

prefer the 790, you can use all of the power at hand, the 1290's electronics are always having to cut in due to it having so much power and torque. its amazing what you can do on the little bike and how many bigger boys you can upset !!!
Grim Reaper Dodger likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 06:40 PM
J D

Eye In The Sky

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chic View Post
and when I pulled in there was an orange, white and black 1290 sitting there. As much as love my 790, I have to admit, I was drooling!
The Super Duke is a thing of raw beauty for sure!

Rode my friends, it's just outright insanity, the way the torque comes on, is simply shocking, (and my other bike is a Kawa ZX-14R).

I feel my 790 is farrrrr more controllable, and I feel like I'm the one giving the inputs, and telling it what to do, and it lives up to the Scalpel name!

The SD feels like 4 pit bulls on a leash, out of control, hahaha.

Forum Admin. Sin Limites..
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Super-Moderator

Garage
Hahahaha, very nice way of putting it! I do want to ride the 1290 at some point just to compare, but yes I have noticed the complete control of the 790 just over my R1.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chic View Post
Hahahaha, very nice way of putting it! I do want to ride the 1290 at some point just to compare, but yes I have noticed the complete control of the 790 just over my R1.
They're amazing things, really really amazing... but just completely daft IMO, taking it too far for real world use.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Super-Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weeksy View Post
They're amazing things, really really amazing... but just completely daft IMO, taking it too far for real world use.
So true. I was reading reviews and watching videos before I made the purchase and one dude put it like this: Riding the R1 through the town is like using a 5 pound sledge hammer to drive in a thumb tac. That line right there sold me! He literally hit it on the head!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 06:08 AM

I had a 1290R with a full Acra system and mapping, it was brutal with the electronics turned off, wheelie at will, but with the TC and wheelie control on the bike is a breeze to ride, i did around 15 track days on it, then traded it for the 1290GT, the 1290R is faster with its brutal power delivery, i traded because i wanted the panniers and the electronic suspension. Was a great fun bike tho. But i prefer the 790 on the track, no fear of breaking loose.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Super-Moderator

Garage
Interesting Dave. Thanks for sharing that! I wondered what the main difference between the two were and how they both handled. I do love my 790.

Keep the rubber side down!

R.I.P:
RT180
YZ125
R1

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page