First Ride - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By weeksy

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

First Ride

Well at long last my 790 arrived on Thursday First impressions were great, the bike looks so much better in real life than in pictures. On of my plans was to get a graphics kit straight away but now i'm in no rush. I found the same thing with my 701sm, thought it looked terrible in photos but great in real life.
Anyway i managed to put 68 miles on it on Friday. Steady away as running it in and new tyres but wow i'm super happy. I never demo'd one so was a little worried about a couple of issues. the reported poor brakes, harsh suspension and crappy oe tyres, read so many tests that mentioned these.
The brakes were loads better than expected, would prefer them to bit earlier but im sure pads can sort that.
Suspension was the main worry. I ride in the peaks and Yorkshire most of the time and the road surface can be really shitty. I took it on a good few local roads and was pleasantly surprised, it coped amazingly well. It did become "crashy" sometimes and did actually wag it bars on a quick bumpy section but i can live with that. Very very surprised tbh. The Husky suspension isnt the most refined so i was fearing the worst.
Obviously i didn't go mental with the new tyres but they felt really good, will probably still swap them at first service but that's mainly for my peace of mind lol.
Overall i am absolutely over the moon with the bike, love the engine and handling. It is so easy to ride at a decent pace compared to the moto, just seems so smooth, precise and easy to "flow". Love all the gadgets, i was always pissed off with the crappy dash on the 701 for the price of the bike so the 790 is like a spaceship compared to that
Tail tidy came from Aus on Saturday so that's fitted, fitted single seat cover, just ordered Wings, bar end mirrors, usb thingy.
Happy happy days
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 03:10 AM

Good stuff sound like an excellent start.
Bomble likes this.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 03:11 PM

Glad to hear it Bomble. I think a lot of skeptics are quite surprised with the 790's packaging, especially for stock. KTM has been making some remarkable headway in the segment and new products like will only further cement them as a leading brand.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page