790 rider foot peg - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 3Likes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

790 rider foot peg

Hello, any info on aftermarket pegs, with possible lowering potential will help my tired knees and also how to remove existing OEM pegs ? it appears you have to dismantle somethings to get at the pin.. any input will be appreciated
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 07:16 PM

I did look into this myself for the same reason as I have a bad knee.
Nobody does as far as I know a 790 version of lowered footpegs although MFW do some for the 690 and I am pretty sure from the foot peg dimensions they would probably fit the 790.

Vario and Replacement Footpegs

But there would probably be touchdowns regularly when cornering, and the 790 likes to corner.
I opted for the higher seat (+an air hawk)and bar risers and so far all good, no real knee discomfort issues and I have done a few full day rides.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Bugz I’ll look into MFW sooner or later someone will produce them I just got the scalpel and it’s still cold here so iam anxious for the twisties
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 11:32 PM

Garage
Being a 71 year old with knee damage from old sporting injuries, I fitted lowered footpegs to both my Honda Blackbird and GSX-S 1000. The pegs on the Suzuki were modified Buell XB12 pegs produced in the US by a member of the Hayabusa Forum. They dropped close to 25 mm below standard. Raising the seat wasn't an option as I'm a shortarse! Some photos for reference and the adjustments needed to be made can be seen here: https://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2016...nd-how-we.html . I left the "hero blobs" off the lowered pegs and they didn't touch down on a couple of trackdays on the Suzuki.

The lowering of the pegs made a massive difference to my comfort levels - more than a mere 25mm had any right to. I thought that it was likely that I'd have to do the same on the 790 but surprisingly, it is actually more comfortable than the Suzuki so no modifications required this time around. I should also add that occasional cycling has also helped comfort on the powered two-wheelers by giving me a better range of movement!
JohnB likes this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 08:28 PM

I am with you on the cycling Geoff.
In fact I do a lot more cycling than motorcycling especially mountain biking at the moment. It used to be the other way around for a while, but I now live in the great cycling/mountain biking area. It has helped my knees greatly and is great fun and keeps me fit. Cycling is also a very popular pro riders sport of choice off the motorcycle and thatís no coincidence.
Geoff likes this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 09:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugz View Post
I am with you on the cycling Geoff.
In fact I do a lot more cycling than motorcycling especially mountain biking at the moment. It used to be the other way around for a while, but I now live in the great cycling/mountain biking area. It has helped my knees greatly and is great fun and keeps me fit. Cycling is also a very popular pro riders sport of choice off the motorcycle and thatís no coincidence.
Carmarthen and the Coromandel Peninsula aren't a million miles apart in terms of topography - not a lot of absolutely flat land! A few decades ago before emigration, I used to go tramping (= hiking) in the Brecons and did a bit of rock climbing in the old Llangattock quarry.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Geoff, I'm with you .. Being 71 years and having arthritic knees makes it hard to bend as much as the duke makes me.. especially the right side.. So some day I will find a peg that works.. I wonder if you all have looked at the OEM pegs... it seems you have to take apart more stuff than just simply removing the pins on both sides .. the pin is only visible on one side?? any input on removing the pegs would be helpful ..Oh well nothing is easy.. I have yet to tear into taking anything apart because nobody seems to make a modified peg yet.. your gixxer friend made a nice unit.. maybe he will join team ORANGE and develop one for the 790. In 2009 I rode the tires off a B-King.. today I'm sorry i sold it.. Of course I miss all bikes I've sold .. Thankfully I have a brand new toy the 790 Duke!!!!
Geoff likes this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 04:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by milesasmiles View Post
Geoff, I'm with you .. Being 71 years and having arthritic knees makes it hard to bend as much as the duke makes me.. especially the right side.. So some day I will find a peg that works.. I wonder if you all have looked at the OEM pegs... it seems you have to take apart more stuff than just simply removing the pins on both sides .. the pin is only visible on one side?? any input on removing the pegs would be helpful ..Oh well nothing is easy.. I have yet to tear into taking anything apart because nobody seems to make a modified peg yet.. your gixxer friend made a nice unit.. maybe he will join team ORANGE and develop one for the 790. In 2009 I rode the tires off a B-King.. today I'm sorry i sold it.. Of course I miss all bikes I've sold .. Thankfully I have a brand new toy the 790 Duke!!!!
Apologies - haven't actually looked at the peg mechanism so far. I might look today as the bike needs a good clean after a 500 km ride yesterday! My knees stood up fine over that distance despite not having cycled for a few days whilst trying to shake off a heavy cold. Oh, the joys of ageing
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 01:01 PM

Garage
790 rider foot peg

Iíll also promote the practice of bicycle riding to improve your motorcycling skills. The reverse is also true, motorcycling improves your bicycle skills. Ride more, ride older, ride better!
As for leg room, the Ergo Comfort Tall Seat will give you relief too.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 02:13 PM

The higher ergo seat is okay, but it is sloped towards the tank a bit unlike the standard seat.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page