Racers are buying these things like crazy! - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Racers are buying these things like crazy!

I have been talking to a tuner and there are at least 9 of these things going straight to my track.. Other manufacturers should be paying attention to this. I'm disappointed that BMW didnt develop their 800 into an S800rr. (I race for a BMW shop) The KTMs look like they will be in short supply!
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddymac View Post
I have been talking to a tuner and there are at least 9 of these things going straight to my track.. Other manufacturers should be paying attention to this. I'm disappointed that BMW didnt develop their 800 into an S800rr. (I race for a BMW shop) The KTMs look like they will be in short supply!
That's excellent, that usually means some good development and knowledge will come from it on suspension, tuning, exhausts etc...
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 05:20 AM
Wish You Were Here

Garage
Quote:
So what mods are they doing for the track use?

Joy is riding your bike to it's limit
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Woodcraft is doing rear sets, and protective bits, suspension mods are being worked on, still waiting on a power commander and will have to decide on an exhaust. I'm sure my bike will end up with cartridges and a new rear shock. Brakes are key so we will be addressing those. I like ridiculous power in my front brakes. I use 2 fingers. From all accounts these are not the greatest.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Word is out that clip ons and bodywork is possible. It will most likely require a different fuel tank though. That starts adding up costs...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 10:46 AM
Wish You Were Here

Garage
Quote:
Woodcraft is doing rear sets, and protective bits, suspension mods are being worked on, still waiting on a power commander and will have to decide on an exhaust. I'm sure my bike will end up with cartridges and a new rear shock. Brakes are key so we will be addressing those. I like ridiculous power in my front brakes. I use 2 fingers. From all accounts these are not the greatest.
1/ Woodcraft is doing rear sets, and protective bits,
2/ suspension mods are being worked on I'm sure my bike will end up with cartridges and a new rear shock
3/power commander
4/ decide on an exhaust.
5/ Brakes are key so we will be addressing those. I like ridiculous power in my front brakes. I use 2 fingers. From all accounts these are not the greatest

Firstly mine is 99% a road bike
1/ I went the R&G route for protection
2/ was looking at andreani cartridges and rear ohlin, but running standard currently
3/ gave up waiting and went the Coober route
4/ went Akra but would not have gone this way for the track, maybe AR
5/ I too like 2 finger braking and modding my bike to take the Front Master Cylinder from an SDR which helped, i think pads as well would make it perfect.

Keep us informed as you mod away, pictures would be good too

Joy is riding your bike to it's limit
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 07:43 PM

I'm 99% sure I'll own one in a few days, and it will be 100% track.

The part I'm having the most trouble locating is bodywork, specifically a fluid-retaining belly pan. That will put a screeching halt on racing these things if I can't source one.

Suggestions?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 08:41 PM

Quote:
What's your local track?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 08:41 AM

I think this a track specific belly pan, itís a French company so you may need to translate the web page.

SABOT MOTEUR KTM 1290 SDR
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugz View Post
Thank you. That's a great answer, even if it's stupidly expensive by the time it lands here in Texas.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page